1st Build Halo 3 MK6 armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked ever a bunch of rigging stuff and arrived at a solution that looks like it will work really well. I was actually about to do my first almost full suit up today and it looks freaking sick.

Every single piece has been coated in Line-X and I think it makes the armor look awesome even in the areas that it’s not painted.

On the topic of paint, it appears that satin Italian olive is complete out of stock everywhere in the US. Does anyone know of either a place I can get the same color or a similar color? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the picture. What do you think about the build so far? Any constructive criticism and feedback be be greatly appreciated. (Other than the thighs being uneven, and how messy my room is. I know about that. ;) )
CC3042B9-A9E8-47F2-B4EC-909CB985082A.jpeg

It looks really good. All I have to say is, do you have any cooler looking gloves? If you go onto amazon and look for airsoft gloves, there are lots of cool options that would be good for a halo cosplay. Other than that your suit is looking great.

It looks really good. All I have to say is, do you have any cooler looking gloves? If you go onto amazon and look for airsoft gloves, there are lots of cool options that would be good for a halo cosplay. Other than that your suit is looking great.
Oh I’ve got cool gloves. I just didn’t have the hand plates attached. I’ll do another picture with those tonight.

I wore my armor to a halloween party today and it felt so good to finally have months of work come together. I'll upload pictures soon. I still didn't have any more paint, but it still looks amazing.

I’ve been patiently waiting for satin Italian olive to come back in stock, but it looks like that’s not going to happen so I’m looking for new colors.

What are some of the best color combinations that you’ve seen? I’m open to anything at this point.

I’ve been patiently waiting for satin Italian olive to come back in stock, but it looks like that’s not going to happen so I’m looking for new colors.

What are some of the best color combinations that you’ve seen? I’m open to anything at this point.
I didn't realize that it was out of stock. hopefully I can find some more when I get around to finishing my suit.

I didn't realize that it was out of stock. hopefully I can find some more when I get around to finishing my suit.
Yea. It’s out everywhere. I have two more cans and I don’t if that’s enough the finish.

I’m thinking of switching over to a blue and gray theme instead and then if green ever comes back in stock then I can repaint.

Well I finally got my hands on some satin Italian olive and I'm working on finally getting everything painted.

I got the chest piece painted and wanted to do some test weathering on it, so I got out all my paint, mixed up a batch of black wash and then had a wonderful "well crap...." moment.

Linex is a super cool material. Extremely strong, sheer and impact resistant, and EXTREMELY hydrophobic. Which means no blackwashing using normal methods.

So I took a bunch of earthy colors and created a nice texture with them, got a clean brush and then spent the next hour or so weathering the chest piece. Before I continue, I want to get some feedback on how this looks before I go ham and do the whole armor set.

I also did the same on the butt plate, but I added some rub n' buff to see if I can get a scratched up look to it.

IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg
IMG_6891.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg

What about oil paints? Say, if you were to try and dab them in the crevices, and let it dry for a while?

What about oil paints? Say, if you were to try and dab them in the crevices, and let it dry for a while?
I didn’t think of that. I’ve been using acrylics, but oils might work really well for the crevices.

I'm going to try two things and we'll see how they go.

1) I'm going to use my acrylics and do the base weathering on the back of the chest piece. But when I mix my acrylics, I'm going to add floetrol. It's a super cool paint thinner that slows drying time, but does not effect the pigment.

2) I'll go and get some oil paints and try those. It may be a combo of the two that get things done the best.

I'm also going to experiment with a carving bit on my dremel tool and see what I can with cosmetic damage.

edit:

I'm also looking at remaking a few pieces of the armor now that I know a lot more about how everything scales out. Espessially the torso. I think I can make it a lot better looking if I widen it out a little bit and make it slightly taller.

Just finished the next round of base weathering with option 1 from above and I think I'm a massive fan. I've still got to dry bush some silver and mud wash a few areas, but so far I'm really liking this method.

I ended up using a black latex I had in my shop and mixed it 1:1 with floetrol and it made a great black wash.

Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think! Picture one has my old method for comparison.

image6.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back