Halo 4 Hayabusa Build - Hyperballistik & Demogorgon Collaboration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to make a Duct tape dummy before it didn't turn out to well. Between an impatient girlfriend helping me. lol Not enough layers the whole thing fell apart quickly.

I only have one layer but it's a very dense one layer. I also decided to wrap myself in cling wrap before the duct tape so I saved my clothes haha.

The weather is very iffy here so the helmet is still on hold. I decided to go ahead and try my hand at a sliced BR85HB SR while the weather is undecided, I'll post pictures when I have the layers glued together. I'm making it out of cardboard because I had huge, unused moving boxes so I decided to use them and test out this sliced method. Depending on how it turns out I may go back and make another with dense foam sheets. I really need to invest in a 3D Printer.

I only have one layer but it's a very dense one layer. I also decided to wrap myself in cling wrap before the duct tape so I saved my clothes haha.

The weather is very iffy here so the helmet is still on hold. I decided to go ahead and try my hand at a sliced BR85HB SR while the weather is undecided, I'll post pictures when I have the layers glued together. I'm making it out of cardboard because I had huge, unused moving boxes so I decided to use them and test out this sliced method. Depending on how it turns out I may go back and make another with dense foam sheets. I really need to invest in a 3D Printer.

I want to invest in one also they can be found as low as $500 . I have preference for wood slice builds. You lack in a little in the detail department but overall the work comes together rather smooth and slightly less costly in my opinion then pepakura weapons.

...You lack in a little in the detail department but overall the work comes together rather smooth and slightly less costly in my opinion then pepakura weapons.

I'm going with cardboard because it was just there for the taking haha plus it'll be pretty light.

From what I've seen throughout lurking in the forum, the pep weapons are such a pain to make. Granted you get better details right away with pep but when it comes time to harden and smooth I've always seen the weapons warp and details being filled up with bondo, whereas with scratch builds or sliced builds I've seen them come out just a detailed and are a fraction of the weight (depending on materials used). I wish I had access to my old high school's tech lab, they have any woodworking machine you could think of, at least 10 CNC mills and 4 lathes, and a Dimensions Rapid Prototype 3D printer (although I was the only student who knew how to properly work it and everyone always broke the head). I was thinking in investing in either a makerbot or a 3dsystems printer.

--Update--

I would like to first give thanks to Arcanine for the massive Halo 4 Assets drop, I now have the MKVI forearms...

mk6f_zps0d4f29ab.png

I will be unfolding these and building them for this build as originally intended instead of using the recruit forearms.

Attachments

• mk6f_zps0d4f29ab.png
    mk6f_zps0d4f29ab.png
    409 KB · Views: 160
I began detailing the thigh pieces.....finally haha. I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to do it so I kept postponing the detail work. I considered using foamies and various thicknesses of foam sheets to add the detail. I decided to do it the easiest way I could think of and freehand the raised areas on the thighs. Then I cut out the areas and re-glued them at their respective heights. It's very subtle details but they alone made the thighs look 1000 times better than where they were.

Here is the thigh piece in the middle of getting the details drawn on. It looks very plain:
IMG_1488_zpsa41fe09a.jpg

And here we have the thighs with all the raised edges:
IMG_1499_zpsc7c903da.jpg

It's a little difficult to see as the edges are only raised about 1/16" to 1/8" but they definitely make the thighs look much better. Now I just need to take my dremel and sand down all the burs caused by my dull blade when I initially cut them out.

I was also able to start on smoothing the helmet tonight. I was using 180 grit sandpaper, figured that would suffice as a starting point, but it was taking a bit longer than anticipated so I went and got some 80 grit. My plan is to use the 80 grit to speed up the sanding and shaping process, use 180 to smooth out the small gouges left by the 80, and then 400 to wet sand the final primer coat before I paint.

IMG_1501_zps5774e00a.jpg

IMG_1502_zps2094cdf6.jpg

(the helmet is not warped, just an odd camera angle haha)

I'll have more pictures tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_1502_zps2094cdf6.jpg
    IMG_1502_zps2094cdf6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1501_zps5774e00a.jpg
    IMG_1501_zps5774e00a.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1499_zpsc7c903da.jpg
    IMG_1499_zpsc7c903da.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1488_zpsa41fe09a.jpg
    IMG_1488_zpsa41fe09a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 162
Another update :D

I really don't like where my BR was going so I ditched it. I still needed a weapon so I thought to myself, "what would be a simple weapon to make in a short amount of time?", and so I went with the combat knife. I decided to scratch build from foam so that it was LARP (and convention security) friendly ;). I drew a template freehand, traced it onto the foam mat and cut it out. Then I brought out the dremel and had some fun shaping it. I'm really loving how it turned out. I may dual wield the knives haha but I'm making a couple just in case. I forgot to shape the top of the blade so I'll do that tomorrow. I also had to grind off the diamond/non-slip pattern on the backside of the mat but it still looks pretty good.

IMG_1504_zpsb2ca14b9.jpg

IMG_1510_zps7ff26337.jpg

I've also been slowly working on smoothing out the helmet. I only did one layer of bondo on the crown area. I went ahead and put a layer of primer on so I could more easily see the problem areas. It's getting there slowly but surely.

IMG_1511_zps895f2caf.jpg

IMG_1512_zpscfa18314.jpg

IMG_1513_zps007d8d03.jpg

IMG_1514_zpsd9220ffb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1510_zps7ff26337.jpg
    IMG_1510_zps7ff26337.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1511_zps895f2caf.jpg
    IMG_1511_zps895f2caf.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1504_zpsb2ca14b9.jpg
    IMG_1504_zpsb2ca14b9.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1512_zpscfa18314.jpg
    IMG_1512_zpscfa18314.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1513_zps007d8d03.jpg
    IMG_1513_zps007d8d03.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1514_zpsd9220ffb.jpg
    IMG_1514_zpsd9220ffb.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 152
mmmm look tasty. maor pics please!!

haha thanks, I'll have more updates on the helmet soon!

So I've been thinking about what I want to use to add light to my armor. Originally I was going to use LEDs but now that I think about it, having to cut out a lot of diffusers at really weird shapes was going to be tough. I came across another lighting alternative, which I saw EVAkura mention in another thread, called Electroluminescent (EL for short.) The more I looked into it, the more I really liked the idea of using it. The only downside is that it's a little on the pricy side. If anyone knows of a website that sells the flat panels for a cheap price, let me know :)

Update time!

I went ahead and free-handed the cod piece. Still needs a little more shaping to round it just a bit more but it came out pretty good. I also textured it similarly to to Hyper's build because it gave it an interesting look. I'm just going to be wearing black pants and long sleeve shirt (kind of like thermal underwear) for the under suit, I don't care much for spandex/under armor type clothing haha.

IMG_0959_zps8a56c7f3.jpg

IMG_0960_zpsf6f4902c.jpg

I also modeled the base shape of the 'Busa butt plate and unfolded it for foam (the pep unfold will be the exact same thing more than likely, just show tabs haha)

butt_plate_pep_zpsba1f102c.jpg

Just need to make the small little ab plate, hand plates, and boots and then it's off to paint the suit. Still working slowly on the helmet so no updates for that yet. I'm also going to remove the pep on the bottom of the helmet and replace it with foam to make it more comfortable and so that I don't scrape my nose/ears when putting it on or taking it off.

Attachments

• IMG_0959_zps8a56c7f3.jpg
    IMG_0959_zps8a56c7f3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0960_zpsf6f4902c.jpg
    IMG_0960_zpsf6f4902c.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 164
  • butt_plate_pep_zpsba1f102c.jpg
    butt_plate_pep_zpsba1f102c.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 184
Another update --All parts built!--

I've gotten everything built out, finally. Next up is to patch up little parts with caulking and it's ready to paint, then I'll be working on getting it all strapped up.

I tried to scratch build the boots but ran into a problem with the toe portion. I kept working with it and created a pretty cool-looking custom part for the front of the boot so I'll be using that :)

Here are the boot pieces. I will also be gluing them straight to an old pair of boots (in the picture) after they are painted. The plates over the laces will be glued to a thin strip of foam with straps going under the boot, that way the laces are covered. The boots will be specifically for this build.

IMG_0961_zpsc46e3860.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsb04b736e.jpg

What do you spartans think of the front boot part?

As always, comments and suggestions are always welcome :).

Attachments

• IMG_0961_zpsc46e3860.jpg
    IMG_0961_zpsc46e3860.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0965_zpsb04b736e.jpg
    IMG_0965_zpsb04b736e.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 155
Love the armor man. This is going to be awesome. Can't wait to see it finish!

Thanks!

Everything is plasti dipped for the most part, still a couple more little areas to touch up, then it's paint time. I haven't really worked on the helmet much lately, been engrossed with my Daedric build while I find the right color red to spray paint this armor with haha.

Hey Man, New to the 405th forum.
Your concept is AMAZING! I have downloaded the HD PEP helmet and printed it out last night, I will begin cutting and pasting it soon. I am EXCITED for it. You did an awesome job with the 3D Modeling, I work with desktop CNC Machines, and hope to be able to use mine in the future for milling out Props and such :p
Any word on pep files for other parts of the armor good sir?

Hey Man, New to the 405th forum.
Your concept is AMAZING! I have downloaded the HD PEP helmet and printed it out last night, I will begin cutting and pasting it soon. I am EXCITED for it. You did an awesome job with the 3D Modeling, I work with desktop CNC Machines, and hope to be able to use mine in the future for milling out Props and such :p
Any word on pep files for other parts of the armor good sir?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I've really been lacking in uploading the other files, I'll get some up tonight after school. The shoulder file is also available for download.

I know I haven't been updating this thread very much but I've been hard at work, as has Hyper. Hyper will be unavailing his Busa suit soon so stay tuned. Until then I'll try to upload some progress shots of my suit haha.

Haha well we all have lives to live as well don't we :p, Yes i did see the shoulder file, I will be downloading that tonight.
GREAT! Cannot wait to see more of your grand work done :), any tips as far as starting the pepakura assembly of the helmet file?

toryjlarsen , I started from the top and worked my way down. It's a very tricky pep so just take your time with it. I've been slowly reworking the models as well, smoothing them out and adding finer details. It will take me a long time to do but in the meantime I'll upload the current versions. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back