Halo Cg Fanfilm Wip Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sepharih

Jr Member
Well, a while ago I decided to start up a personal project of doing a cg Halo fanfilm completely solo, and I figured I might want to start a thread about it for feedback as I develop it. Now I know everyone and their mother is starting up a fanfilm these days and I'm not going to try and explain why mine is going to be different than all the other ones that didn't come out....cause it's probably not. I've explained this more in detail in a Q & A at the bottom, but suffice to say that I'm really just starting this thread because I'm working on this project to improve my 3d art skills, and I wanted some feedback from fellow Halo fans on the stuff I'm making, and to get some ideas on where to go with it.

MarineRender.jpg

Start of my UNSC marines. Textures are VERY VERY rough. Also needs more props I feel, bags, binoculars, etc. Skin is black because I'm still working on the sub surface scatering shaders, and sculpting his facial details. Planning on completely redoing the weapons as well. What few weapons I've done look outdated with the new Reach designs.

Now a Wireframe:

MarineWireframe.jpg

Halo.jpg

First pass at the ring world itself. Inner ring is ok I think, but the outer ring needs to be sharper and more defined, more texture will help I think, plus better lighting.

Wireframe:

Halo_wire.jpg

Supremecomander.jpg

Start of the elite and supreme commander. After seeing some of the reach designs i'm planning on revisiting this one considerably. Ultimately I'll probably wind up with a mix and match of my favorite elite characteristics.

POA_Logo_02.jpg

Redesign of the pillar of autumn logo. I really liked how the Spirit of fire logo looked, and it made the one from Combat Evolved look dated, so I decided to make an updated variation. And yes I know that in Canon the POA is a Halcyon class, creative decision on my part.

The finally:

Render test for the pillar of autumn. Again, very rough. Needs some edges smoothed out, and some variety to the texture.

I've got some other stuff in development, but it's mostly all ugly previs stuff that wouldn't be cool to watch.

Q & A (please read)

Q. When's it going to get released!?!

A. In all likelyhood, never. I'll be up front, like most people in my field I work very very long hours, and my off time I try to spend with either my fiancee or playing videogames (BTW, Reach is awesome). The chances I'll ever finish this thing are very very slim, and if I do it's axiomatic that it'll be a years long thing...and i'll probably get tired of it before I get done.

Seriously, if you're actually getting excited about this thread I advise against it. There will probably be a lot of inactivity.

Q. What? Then what's the point of starting this thing?

A. Simple, enough effort and these pieces will look good on a demo reel.

Q. Ok, but why start on an entire CG project then? Why not just make the characters/props/environments and be done?

A. Reason is two fold. First, I find that I feel more motivated if a piece I'm working on is being built towards a larger goal, and even if it isn't I like to think it is. Two, as a 3d generalist I find myself often having to learn a variety of tools because in my studio we don't just do one specific task, we handle everything. Within the same day I can be modeling, animating, editing, and rendering on multiple projects that are totally unrelated. An entire solo project of my own allows me to explore a wide range of different software packages which I may either A. not know anything about, but could probably stand to learn, or B. know, but am always striving to improve my knowledge of.

That's really what this whole thing is about for me, improving my skills as an artist.

Q. So you're totally Solo, is there anything I can do to help?

A. Absolutely, give me feedback and ideas. If you're a 3d artist, let me know that my nasal labial folds are messed up and I need to reconsider my edge flow. If you're a die hard Halo fan tell me that I've placed the main gun on the pillar of autumn in the wrong spot.

Q. Yeah, but this seems like a cool project and I'd really like to help out.

A. Maybe if I'm still on this thing a year down the line and I've got some actual serious progress and I start getting delusions that I'll finish it, I may accept some extra help. Right now however, this is again mostly about improving my own art skills, and it would kind of defeat the purpose to let someone else do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're doing extremely well in your modeling! (I'd love to see some of your finished renders!) Is that all freemodeling, or are you working from concept art?

:lol If you decided that you didn't want to work solo, I'm pretty sure that the Sigma crew could really use you!

Cheers!

IroniumStudios said:
Dude! Amazing so far, as a fellow 3d modeler i would love to know what program your using!

Squishy said:
Your models are amazing! Wish I knew how to model as well as you do...

Appreciate the positive feedback. I use 3d studio max as my primary software package, and I just made the jump to 2011. This weekend I'm hopping to spend a few hours getting my marine fully textured with the new viewport painting features. I also use zbrush for sculpting, but I haven't quite yet got to that phase in the above models, also hoping for this weekend.

Sniperbaas392 said:
Wow, you're doing extremely well in your modeling! (I'd love to see some of your finished renders!) Is that all freemodeling, or are you working from concept art?

It's a little bit of both. I decided early on that this was going to sort of be "Sepharih's definitive version of the Halo universe", so all the stuff i'm making is kind of a huge hodge podge of different influences on the Halo universe's look. The marine above, for example, is kind of a split between screens of the marines from Halo 3, and shots from Neil Blomkamp's shorts, and a little bit of my own personal flourishes. The helmet I'm working on, however, is based more exclusively on some of the early concepts of the Halo 3 artbook.

Helmet.jpg

The cap he's wearing in the first screenshot is from the Contact Harvest cover.

I'm also thinking about adding a few reach details onto him as well (in addition to the weapons I mean).

As for final renders, I don't really have any assets for this that I would really consider "Final", but they'll come as I develop them.

Sniperbaas392 said:
:lol If you decided that you didn't want to work solo, I'm pretty sure that the Sigma crew could really use you!

There have been a few fanfilms I've considered jumping into, but I don't want to commit to anything I can't put my heart into. Working on my own project, for now, lets me go at my own pace.

Also, my POA logo update was apparently well received as I actually received some request for other personalized logos. As I said above, I don't really have the time to do them, but I figured the least I could do would be to provide a template for you guys:

http://rapidshare.com/files/385073516/LogoTemplate.psd.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! Forums are back up! I believe this calls for an update. I was hoping to be done with materials and texture at this point and on to sculpting, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it. Oh well, here's what I've got to show:

fronttorso_johnson.jpg

Armor materials are basically done. Still need sculpting details and texture work for both the neckgaurd and the nanoshirt. They need ridges, folds, and wrinkles. I really liked how the geometric shapes on the Reach armor gave more detail to the armor, so I decided to incorporate it, and I really like what it does. Neck gaurd needs a slightly less saturated color maybe.

backtorsoarmor.jpg

and the rear shot. More than on any other aspect, you can really see Blomkamp's designs influence here.

thighgaurd.jpg

Redesign of the thigh gaurd. I thought that the original thigh guard/holster was too plain, but the reach one was too busy, so I did an in between. I think the plastic material lacks grunge, but I think the armor texture is probably the best I've done for the whole set. I'm calling the design done on this one unless someone has a complaint.

knife_02.jpg

Knife holster. Not counting Buck's knife, there are 3 prominent knives that have been represented in Halo images. There's the Legendary machete, the odst knife in the weta shorts, and the new combat knife in Halo reach. I incorporated aspects from all 3 for the holster, but stuck pretty closely to the legendary symbol for the knife. To this day I still don't know why spartans and marines aren't carrying that baby around rather than the generic military knife they have right now....oh well, in my universe this has been corrected.

Textures still need work though. Holster texture is too light and doesn't really seem like plastic/leather. Neither does the knife grip.

A new day, a new update. I finally got to move onto sculpting:

BDUREnder_01.jpg

There have been half a dozen or so iterations of a UNSC marine BDU. There's the one from Halo wars, the suggestions of one in the Halo games (the armor is always covering it, after all), the ones from the comics, etc. The live action ones usually just use existing military designs. As usual, I did a blend. The pattern and overall shape are based on Halo 3 and existing US military BDUs, while the shoulders and neck are based on the Halo wars military uniform. Gives it a nice sci-fi touch I think. Design is basically done unless anyone has any objections. Still needs name tags and a few buttons perhaps. I think the wrinkles don't quite flow right....but I'll continue to push that.

BDu_render02.jpg

And the backside.

Nanoshirt_01.jpg

What I'm calling the “nanoshirt”. This is the black undersuit that the all the UNSC troops wear over their BDU's, and under their armor. Unlike the Spartans and ODSTS, the marines only get a shirt for whatever reason. I actually really like how this turned out. I got as much reference as I could from ODSTs and Spartans to get a little more detail in there, and I improvised a little as well. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Just needs a little texture and bump maping and I'm ready to call it done.

Nanoshirt_02.jpg

and the backside.

Neckgaurd_01.jpg

then finally the neck guard. I know that in the games the neck armor is a metal piece, but in blomkamp's shorts it's cloth armor, and I've gone this direction for two reasons.

1. Honestly, it makes more sense to me practically. That metal armor would do more harm than good if your head gets kicked back suddenly.

2. Making it metal would limit the marines neck movement in animation, making him look overly stiff.

Until next time!

Current state of the model:

fullrender_063010.jpg

fullrender_Back_063010.jpg

Just about time to move onto the face. Just want to finalize the gloves and hat a little more, and add some ammo pouches and accessories. Comments, suggestions

you seem to be missing the abs plate of the armor that the belt goes over, other than that your doing an incredible job on the armor.

you seem to be missing the abs plate of the armor that the belt goes over, other than that your doing an incredible job on the armor.

I actually modeled that into the early topology of the model...but the more I looked at it I kept thinking that it looked too bulky and that it almost made the marine look like he had a pot belly, so I took it out and sculpted some of the details into the undershirt. I honestly like the look better (and it's less complicated in terms of animation now), but I do think that there might be too much exposure on his gut area for the armor to make practical sense.

I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I could add in some kind of guard like the spartans have under their torso armor:

Amazing work! I'm especially in love with your marathon cruiser. I'm a big fan of the Pillar of Autumn and I've modelled the Halo: Combat evolved version, but yours is just too awesome!
My friend and I are working on an animation this summer that consists of a large scale 'Gundam vs Zone of the Enders' battle. As were both Halo fans, We're including the the Spirit of Fire to serve as the battlefield; we need SOMETHING to fill the endless hole that is space, and we LOVE the scale and design of the ship.
I really hope you gain the motivation to do more with this, we're really looking forward to seeing more! :)

-Phi

Wow. Those graphics are game-worthy. I'll keep tabs on this project for sure.. ^^

Appreciate all the positive feedback guys!

Amazing work! I'm especially in love with your marathon cruiser. I'm a big fan of the Pillar of Autumn and I've modelled the Halo: Combat evolved version, but yours is just too awesome!
My friend and I are working on an animation this summer that consists of a large scale 'Gundam vs Zone of the Enders' battle. As were both Halo fans, We're including the the Spirit of Fire to serve as the battlefield; we need SOMETHING to fill the endless hole that is space, and we LOVE the scale and design of the ship.
I really hope you gain the motivation to do more with this, we're really looking forward to seeing more! :)

-Phi

Oh man, the Spirit of Fire just plain depreses me sometimes...because I'm using it as reference for the POA to give it some more detail (since I'm without poly limits) and every time I look at it I know that unless I want to spend months and months on it, it's just never going to look that awesome. Although actually, I suppose I feel that way about most of my reference I use from Halo wars, LOL :D .

I really would like to maintain the motivation to see this thing all the way through to the end. I'm even building my stuff effeciently so that Render times won't get too obscene or unmanageable outside of stills by avoiding displacement maps and such. I'm just trying to be realistic though, maintaining energy for a solo project like this is really hard. I know I've got a few more character models in me for sure.

you do realize that "the pillar of autumn" is a halceyon class cruiser not "marathon class" after having sad that AWESOME, that is very accurate to the marathon class.

When you get close to finishing I will gladly lend my voice to this project :)

I do a lot of music composition for school which involves recording so I have some fairly decent home recording equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back