Halo Cg Fanfilm Wip Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry dude, not buying it. Your still not answering my point that if this weapon only worked properly in the situation you're describing it would not be the standard issue weapon for the marines. Highlighting an example where the Ma5C has a tactical advantage over the BR55/DMR does not explain why it lacks any kind of sights for longer distances. A standard issue Assault Rifle is designed to provide a level of versatility.
Also, you're forgetting about firing modes. Most assault rifles in use today come with the ability to fire at either full or semi automatic depending on the situation. Although you cannot do this in game, we know that canonically speaking this function does exist on UNSC weapons. The marines in the Landfall commercials, for example, were firing their Battle Riffles in full auto at certain points. Again, an Assault Riffle like the MA5C should also have a semi automatic mode, even if it's intended to function more like a machine gun.

Sorry, but I'm holding to my initial stance on this one.

1278271164253.jpg

I give up.

I'm just going to start from the beginning, and will try to use common sense with what you have said.

this is where your wrong:

weapons like the M6 series and the MA5 or M37 series don't have a sight because they are ment for CQC or short to mid-range battles. you don't aim down the sight liek any other gun. you simply point and spray.
me and Ithica had a long discussion about this at the time I was over his place getting my apprenticeship from him. the UNSC also has weapons with sights ie the SMG, the BR, the DMR, the shotgun ect. the point is, the assult rifle and the pistols don't have sights because they are ment for spray the %^$*#^ out of anyone they can see, aim doesn't count for these weapons.

Suppression is good, but this sounds like stormtroopers.

(example, when you are clearing a room, you don't aim down the sights the entire time, you just point and look, dave explained this to me, if you aimed donw the sight, your vision becomes narrowed, therefore, you aim with your eyes, not with your gun. same goes with the pistol, if you look at all these small conceiled-carry weapons, i have a few, none if not all of them have no sights, it's a smooth top slide, these guns are ment for point and shoot. aiming takes too long.)

This makes sense for that kind of situation, but for longer distances you need to aim somewhat to hit the target.

for the longest time, me and my father removed out sights from our concieled carry weapons because it gets caught up in our pockets or in our clothes when drawing them. we were ahead of our time when Colt and kimber both came out with small, 45 caliber, pistols designed without sights for easy draws, and upclose confrontation. I don't know the exact models, but feel free to look them up on google or any other search wngin for firearms. as for sights. only Ithica can explain as well as he did. he had a valid statment, and knowing that he is a 15+ Senior enlisted veteren. I'll take his word before anyone else on the matter.

also: I forgot to mention that shotguns also do not have sights.

Ok, kind of off topic. But for those kinds of confrontations that happen in range from 2ft-30ft there close enough to not worry about sights as much.

Also: Shotguns generally don't have an effective range over 40ft

that's why they have BR55s and DMRs!

Example:
you can put more rounds down range by simply just pointing and shooting. DMRs are too slow, BR55s are too precise, if you need to waste ammo on something down range, ie a tank

Wait, wat?

Ok I somewhat see what you are getting at, Go on.

or a group or infantrymen, make sure the enemy can't make a move without getting literally "rained on" by bullets.

Agian,
Suppression is good, but you don't want stormtroopers.

marines also use accurate weapons like the BR55 and the DMR because they also need to have precission with their rate of fire

Reasonable.

by itself, the MA5c has a hot rate of fire, but lacks in aim. but is deadly at close range, you don't see any marine or trooper looking down the top of the rifle, he's always aiming from the hip or AKA shoulder.

Hip to me means Rambo. Yes he has the Ma5C shouldered, like he would be aiming with the sights. But instead he's looking to the side due to the close range of the encounter that dose not need the accuracy of the Iron-Sight.

with this weapon, the MA5 series is like a shotgun. "the whole point is basically to just be able to point in the general diraction of the badguy and let the spread take care of it." add that with the standard NATO rounds that the AR fires, and you have an effective killing machine with no sights needed.

Shotgun yes, Short to medium weapon no.

This is really just a silly argument over a design that was made by bungie when they where a B studio. All they did was make it look futuristic and did not have to function in real life.

In Halo:CE and the Ma5B is ONE out of two slug weapons and with only a total of Seven human weapons.

AND in CE the marines Fired in short/slow bursts, maybe to actually hit something. also in Halo2 they fired the SMG in bursts Etc...

I bet i came off as an ass but Whatever, this was a retarded argument:rolleyes

And way to thread jack;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, enough on this whole debate over Ironsights, time to get back to art.

I've asked around on a couple of forums for some tips over how to approach Johnson's hair, and got some good responses, so I'll be working on that for a little while now. That's probably going to be a decent amount of trial and error on my side though since I haven't really sculpted hair before...so I probably won't update on that front for a bit. I'll probably just pop in with Johnson's head completed one day in the future.
In the meant time however, while I practice that, I wanted to start production on another model.

It is time, I feel, to continue the covenant elite..but after enjoying another round of Elite Slayer on Reach the other night...I've come to the difficult decision to drop my current build and progress on it entirely. It's just not good enough. It kind of stinks to start from scratch again...but I really think it will be for the best.
For the most part, I will lean heavily towards the Elites as represented in Halo Reach, with a few key differences.

-Their armor will probably include a few aspects lifted more from halo 3 than Reach, nothing big, just a few more details.
-Their faces will be more like Halo Reach...but I'm cutting down on the amount of teeth they have.
-Their feet from reach will be gone. Elites have mighty cloven hooves damnit!
-I'm thinking about pushing the undersuit a little more. I think Bungie looked a little bit at Crysis while they were designing the suit since it seems to emulate musculature, so I thought I'd bring that out even more.

I'm really glad I made the decision to rexplore the elite. It's proving completely worthwhile.

Here are the modelsheets I created:
modelsheet.jpg

And here's the current build on the model.

eliterender_01.jpg

much more intimidating and imposing than the last build I had. Body is taking shape very nicely, but the face, as you can see, is pretty rough still. Hope to get that ironed out before I have to hit crunch at work again.

no no no:

M16s have nothing to do with this. M16s are mostly standard issue, but you CAN remove the sights or have "flip" sights which are used for small battlefields.

the 7.62mm is standard worldwide NATO rounds that most every country in the United Nations uses, incliding USA, the 7.62x54 is the Mosin Nogant round.

since when was I ever talking about the sniper rifle?

the M7 has sights!

the AR is a small-medium range battlefield rifle, if you can point at your target with your finger, you can hit him with a short burst of bullets. the DMR/BR is the medium-LONG range battlefield rifle.

the M6 pistol doesn't need sights when it has a small 2x scope!\

p.s. the only part that you understood about my argument was that marines look to the side or near the top of the rifle shroud... other than that you just came out of nowhere...

Sorry but what you said about the M16 just doesn't make sense. The standard M16 does NOT have a removable sight on it and even ones modified with a rail system, like the more standard M4, are not to be used with out a sight and the only reason one would remove a sight from it is to place another one on it. I'm not sure what you consider medium to long range but the the M16/M4 are standard issue because of the effective range they provide(300 Meters with iron sight and a maximum effective range of 800 Meters). The closest practice targets are the 50 Meter and the 100 Meter, even these could be missed if not fired at correctly and that is a fairly close range.

One of the main supression weapons used now is the M249 SAW and even it has sights because you want to supress the enemy as far away from your position as possible but also even more so you want to actually take them out as well. It also has a much larger amount of ammo that it can hold and fire, a 200 round drum to the 16's 30 round magazine. I see Jorge's weapon more of this role in the game. Jorge's gun is either this or more of the 240B (7.62 combared to the SAW, M4 and 16's 5.56) because of being such a large weapon.

Well that aside I do look forward to any more up-dates on this project! Are you going to be having people as voice talent or are you opting not to have any voice work? How is the script going?

Well that aside I do look forward to any more up-dates on this project! Are you going to be having people as voice talent or are you opting not to have any voice work? How is the script going?

If and when the time comes, yes, absolutely there will be voice work, and a need for voice talent. However, that's so far away right now at this point that it's not even worth discussing or talking about yet. I've got a ton of modeling and rigging, as well as environmental design and visualization to iron out before I even start to think about voice actors.
I will however say this. If and when I do finally start get to the point where I can start casting voice actors, there will be enough roles for virtually anyone and everyone here who wants a part, even if only for background roles.
That being said...in so far as the main characters are concerned, I live in Austin texas and I'm probably going to want to stick with local talent for a number of reasons. I might change my mind, but that's the direction I'm leaning in.

As far as the script is concerned, it's been done for some time now, and is basically locked (outside of occasional rewrites that may happen during production of course).
Actually, the main reason why this project is happening is because Vociferous on Ascendant Justice penned his own take on a Halo movie after being completely fed up with what Hollywood was doing to it.
At the time I was in the process of doing my own rewrite of the Halo script (for fun), and I found that he pretty much had already done everything I had ever wanted to see happen in a Halo movie. So after getting his permission via email, I decided to try and make this dream a reality. I suspect he probably doesn't expect anything to ever result from it...and truth be told it's likely that nothing complete will...but hey, you never know...

I think you are doing a great job with the modeling and totally back you up on the weapon sight built into the AR

Me too..

@serpah(shortened the name): LOVE THE ELITE!
oh you aint seen nothing yet. :cool

God, I honestly can't believe I ever even considered sticking with the model on the front page...I'll leave it up for a little while longer, and then It will never ever be seen again :$. The new mesh is SOOOOO much more effecient and like an elite should be. It's going to animate beautifully and give some fantastic expressions.
I think I'm going to play around with the hooves for just a little bit more, and then I'm going to start fleshing out the undersuit, and maybe even get started on the armor this weekend.

eliterender_02.jpg

eliterender_01.jpg

wireframe_01.jpg

wireframe_02.jpg

What models do you need?

I have the ability to get some weapons, vehicles, and scenery. DO NOT ask for bipeds, clothing, or crazy big models lol, I have resources, but not "have a lot of spare time" sources.

What models do you need?

At the moment, nothing. Again, my goal is to do most of the work myself to work on my skills as an artist. Having someone else do it for me would kind of defeat the purpose. I might reach a certain point where I start bringing on extra help, but I'll need to get significantly further before I reach that point.

Current update on Elite Sculpting.

sculptingelite_02.jpg

sculptingelite_01.jpg

Probably no updates for the next few days. I'm off to get married and my fiancee doesn't want me spending our entire honeymoon on the computer :$

What models do you need?

I have the ability to get some weapons, vehicles, and scenery. DO NOT ask for bipeds, clothing, or crazy big models lol, I have resources, but not "have a lot of spare time" sources.

i, on the other hand, am working on a fan film, and would really appreaciate a banshee. i work in blender, i can texture and rig, but not model or sculpt. go figure. i try and try, but apparently i have no skills when it comes to it. if you'll be willing to provide anything else, a covie dropship would be awesome. thanks!

i, on the other hand, am working on a fan film, and would really appreaciate a banshee. i work in blender, i can texture and rig, but not model or sculpt. go figure. i try and try, but apparently i have no skills when it comes to it. if you'll be willing to provide anything else, a covie dropship would be awesome. thanks!

Sorry, we don't use Blender, only 3DS Max 7.0, 3DS Max 8.0, 3DS Max 2010, Maya 2008, and Sketchup (concepts). We sometimes might use Z-Modeler aswell.

the 7.62mm is standard worldwide NATO rounds that most every country in the United Nations uses, incliding USA,

You are correct to a certain point. Not criticizing your info just helping out where i can (was an infanteer for 17 years and a weapons technician for 5 years...)

5.56mm is the NATO standard round for assault rifles (M16 for the USA, C-7 for Canada) and section level machine guns (SAW for USA, C-9 for Canada).

7.62mm is the NATO standard round for platoon level support (crew served) machine guns (M60 for USA, C-6 for Canada) also known as a GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun)

Sniper rifles are a whole other ball of wax...everything from .308 to .50 cal!!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back