Halo Elite Sangheili Build W.I.P Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
awsome stilts! are they difficult to walk in? (ive heard some girls comparer it to walking in heels, but some stilts are worse than others) good luck with your build! looks great!

I work at asign shop and we have material that comes on thick, sturdy, cardboard tubes. They're about 3" in diameter, easy to cut, and very light.
Thats what I would probably reccomend.
I'm sure if you were willing to do a little running around, any sign shop within your vicinity you would be willing to let them go without much of a fight...

Ok thanks! That sounds like it would be perfect. I'll have to do some looking around. Thanks!

awsome stilts! are they difficult to walk in? (ive heard some girls comparer it to walking in heels, but some stilts are worse than others) good luck with your build! looks great!

My brother seems to have no trouble walking in them. I always ask him what I could do to improve them, but so far all he wanted was padding, which I put in today. I found some plans for the stilts online that called for 2x4s but they were waaaay to heavy. I switched over to 1x4s which seem to be holding up ok. My brother is a 95lbs stick with little or no muscle haha so if he is able to walk in them relativly well I'm sure anyone can. If I have time I might make some for myself so I can give a proper assessment of their capabilities. As for the heels I wouldn't know what that is like haha.

While I'm enjoying my day off from college I figured y'all would want to see how the foot piece and shin look on the stilt. So here ya go!

2012-05-01_09-00-52_670.jpg

Sorry for the mess.

2012-05-01_09-00-58_646.jpg

I need to either extend the foam up under the shin or find that tube like object to slide under.

2012-05-01_09-01-17_784.jpg

As you can see I still need those two silver ball like structures still. the heel and top of the shin. I'm thinking styrofoam. Any suggestions?

Oh and I just finished the second foot and shin so next step for those are the flex seal to fill in gaps.

That is insane. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to walk around on that. Great job though, I can't wait to see this done.

I'm stoked someone is attempting the Elite again.

That's a pretty sweet rig. My only concern is safety here. Are you sure those 4 wood screws is going to be enough to handle all the stress you are going to give it? It looks like that might be the weakest link. If it breaks, you'll fall.. and it won't be pretty. I see the screws flexing side to side from all the stress movements and splitting the plywood. Some reinforcements and wood glue would help a bit.

Dude your idea is insane, ive always thought of how one could fit a body in such an abnowmal shape of an alien. So do you have plans on the neck? Is it going to be electronic?

I'm stoked someone is attempting the Elite again.

That's a pretty sweet rig. My only concern is safety here. Are you sure those 4 wood screws is going to be enough to handle all the stress you are going to give it? It looks like that might be the weakest link. If it breaks, you'll fall.. and it won't be pretty. I see the screws flexing side to side from all the stress movements and splitting the plywood. Some reinforcements and wood glue would help a bit.

The stilts being for my little brother I was concerned with safety as well. Don't need him breaking his leg on the night of the release. I did put wood glue in each of the holes before securing it down. I also have contact cement around the inner edges. I also plan on putting metal L brackets to secure the foot a little more. I just need to get the foam pieces in place and see where I would be able to secure them without interfering with other components. Trust me I don't need anything happening to my brother so any issues he has or I see I fix. Also anything you or anyone else point out I'll fix as well, a third eye on it is a good thing. I appriciate your concern and thanks for reading!

Dude your idea is insane, ive always thought of how one could fit a body in such an abnowmal shape of an alien. So do you have plans on the neck? Is it going to be electronic?

I do have plans for the neck/head assembly. I have the pepakura version of the head completed and it is scaled down by 30% to make it look like it belongs on a tiny person (my little brother is going to be the one wearing it and he is tiny) I'm not sure whether I'm going to attempt electronics or what but I will probably make some sort of basic animatronics for the mandibles. Something controlled by a cord or something. I have no idea as it will probably be the last thing I decide to tackle. As for moving a whole lot, the head will only move as much as the material I make it from allows. Probably will be a low density foam if not just filling the pep version with expanding foam and carving out details. My bros head will not be in the actual head. He will be able to see in a gap through the armor just above the torso piece. Nothing obvious of course haha. Thanks for reading!

So I did some more reading along the forum and decided that I will need a hot knife. Scissors and a box cutter are worked ok for the shins and feet (parts most people probably won't notice) but to get details and such in the torso and helmet I will be getting a hot knife. Also I found that a soldering iron tip flattened out works just as well. I have an iron I will go buy a tip and flatten it later. Till then thanks for reading! I should have something up tomorrow. Maybe my solution for covering the wood on the stilts!

Wow, just wow man, I'm looking at your work, and I'm losing my mind. Some really great stuff here. The only thing I think you should think about is the proportions of the feet. Given that an Elite stands about 7'2'' when hunched over, you should take into proportion how big those feet should be. They might be perfect, they might not, I just can't judge them by the pictures. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, and I'm subscribing to this!

Wow, just wow man, I'm looking at your work, and I'm losing my mind. Some really great stuff here. The only thing I think you should think about is the proportions of the feet. Given that an Elite stands about 7'2'' when hunched over, you should take into proportion how big those feet should be. They might be perfect, they might not, I just can't judge them by the pictures. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, and I'm subscribing to this!

Thanks! And I am scaling up my little 6in figure to be about 6ft because of the height the stilts add to my brother. Will not be full scale but pretty close. I'm thinking it's about a 12:1 scale factor. As it is the figures foot is about 1 inch. So the foot should be about 12 inches. I just measured from toe tip to back of the wood and it's 14 inches. A little big but with some minor adjustments it should be ok. The shin piece I'm not to concerned with size accuracy more so than detail because if it goes any bigger length wise it will cover up the skate boot that my brother foot has to go into. Either way it is about an inch under sized if it was going to bug you haha. I do plan to add that little silver cap to the back of the foot and top of the shin. if you have no idea what I'm talking about than check out one of the pics my little assisstant is in a couple. :)
I appriciate bringing to light the sizing! I probably wouldve discovered that way too far along to change anything and wouldve scrapped the whole thing. thanks for commenting and reading!

Sorry for the double posting, but this I feel is kinda important.

Now for those of you into tv you may have noticed the ad for Flex Seal. Now I didn't put any credability into the actual use of the product, namely fixing leaks and such, however I did experiment with it for filling gaps. It expands when applied and while it dires it shrinks a bit. So while it may look like it fills gaps at first wait 24hrs and the crack will be there, smaller but there. So this is my first try with the stuff (i found it at walmart lrg can for $12.99)

2012-05-02_09-05-21_151.jpg

Notice the bumps and gaps and general uneven texture. Now this texture may be good for where the undersuit pokes through (quite a bit on an Elite) so I may use it unrefined on the undersuit but thats a different day. Now here is what I did to solve the problem. At first I believed the commercial when it said it could be sanded...Dead wrong, it chewed through my sandpaper faster than metal! Could be because it's rubber and gumming up the grits. idk but Then i remembered hey it is rubber therefore when heat is applied it becomes plyable. So i took my recently modded soldering iron (I just pounded the crap out of the tip to make a cutting tip for the foam) and started playing around. I found that I could move the dried seal around into holes and smooth it out. this is what I ended up with:

2012-05-02_09-05-46_394.jpg

Another coat of flex seal and some more playing around with it should give me enough edge to make the seams go away completly. Why am I not using bondo or something of the sort? Simple, I am stuck at home with what I have in front of me because I am a little lazy and don't feel like getting out of my pajamas haha. I might venture out at some point later today, maybe after lunch, and see what I can find. OH and I think I found a solution for covering the wood. I work at a Sonic and we have plastic tubs we keep the fruits in that are circular, about 8 in diameter. So I found a couple old ones, washed them out and cut them up and fit them around the wood. I can still slide the shin on with no problem and the plastic slips well under the top plat of the foot. I just need to rough it up a bit so paint will stick and glue into place. Thanks for reading!

Alrighty I have more updates! More pictures and more smelly burnt foam! haha. Today I used my soldering iron to cut the foam and it went way faster and smoother than scissors. Only downfall is the smell and toxic gasses. No worries I had my garage open and respirator on. I got both thigh pieces shaped out of the foam today. They are in the back drying with the first coat of flex seal on them. I applied a second coat of the flex seal to the feet and shins and will smooth those out when I'm done posting here. Here are the pics!

2012-05-02_13-23-50_612.jpg

This are the shapes I used to creat the thighs. If anyone wants me to I can create jpgs of the patterns when I'm done so everyone can have some 2D versions to experiment with.

2012-05-02_13-59-05_929.jpg

Thats how they fit together. I did have to angle the edges and cut grooves everywhere to get the shape right.

2012-05-02_13-24-16_455.jpg

The right thigh piece. Flip it and the left looks like that. I have both done but didn't think I needed a picture for the second one haha. They are scaled to my figure so they are a little over 1' 1/2" long. I will need to see if they fit my brother ok when he gets back from school or if I need to make "knee extenders" to make it look like they fit haha.

2012-05-02_14-52-08_139.jpg

Both thighs taking in the warm Texas sun with the first coat of flex seal on the seams. Should take about 60min. to dry enough for handling. At that point I have class so I will continue with them tomorrow. Anyway Thanks so much for commenting and reading my posts. Next part to tackle making will be the cod piece. See y'all later 405th!

Hopefully someone is still reading, but anyway I picked up some bondo the other day and began that process today. The flex seal did its job to fill in the gaps, but in some spots I need more of an edge. I plan on making the codpiece while the bondo is drying and sand it when I'm done with the codpiece. The thighs don't need too much bondo and I am going to try to make my seams on the foam better to where I may not need any at all. Oh and I found some old black sweatpants that I will use as a cover for the stilts and such. Thanks for reading here are some pics!

2012-05-04_10-51-00_437.jpg

What I have so far. The codpiece isn't a solid piece meaning there is a gap in front so it doesn't join together. I made it purposfully a little small and rounded in on itself so it would stay on my stick of a brother without much help. I still need to do a butt load of sanding on the bondo for those pieces. I am curently attaching the feet and shins to the stilt.

2012-05-04_11-05-26_277.jpg

I went to the dollar store earlier and picked up a pack of four of these guys. With a little layer of foam I am hoping that it'll look ok for those little ball structures. Now the only reason I got those and didn't just go for foam is because the way my bro walks on the stilts. They needed to have a little extra strength and the plastic helps a lot. I just ran one of the finished ones over with my car and nothing happened haha.

2012-05-04_11-18-42_989.jpg

The basic shape the ball needed to be in to get the foam to shape right. Bonus of that shape is that it fits almost perfectly around the wooden base it needs to attach to on the stilt.

2012-05-04_11-58-27_787.jpg

The foam around it makes it look too blocky. I need to sand down more of the foam to get more of a ball shape but I might just leave it like this for stability reasons for my bro. With way I need to seal the edges and then they will be with the other pieces ready for primer.

Left to foam:
2 X Shoulders
2 X Forearms
Torso
Helmet
Weapon

Ready for primer/paint
2 X Foot
2 X Shin
2 X Thigh
Codpiece

Seems like a lot but I have one final next week then summer is on for me! Meaning work and Elite. I need to save up as much money and I only plan on buying the paint and strapping. I should have enough of everything else on hand to get done. I hope to be done by the end of July.

Wow man great work! Stilts are ingenious! You should look at the foam tut that someone just posted. Should help with seams. But keep up the good work!

What thickness of foam are you using? And where did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back