Halo Elite Sangheili Build W.I.P Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful progress an, the construction is really going over well, a few tips for working with EVA foam:

Belt-sander: any sort of electrical sander will do a much smoother job on sanding than a hand will. I was looking at the knee-caps (Those ball things are actually their second set of knees) and noticed the choppy cutting. Don't know if you have that hot tool yet, but you might want to invest in it.

Clamping while gluing: A pretty basic thing to do when gluing something to the frame/undersuit is that with EVA foam, it's porous, so you need to clamp it for the strongest bond.

Mounting: I don't know how you were planning on mounting the knee-caps, but I suggest velcro and elastic. Using a patch of velcro (clamp gluing) and elastic strands can ensure a removable piece that is solid, but allows maintenance.

Just a few tips I thought I would share, and I don't know if you were considering this, but if you can make hardtop molds of those armor plates, you can use the armor-heating technique (check my juggernaut thread) to get smooth curved pieces, which you can cut details out of. Don't know if you were interested, but if you want a smooth finish, it might be something to consider. Good luck!

@psquiddy: thanks for those tips. I have a modified soldering iron I use to make my cuts and the pieces I posted are not the knee caps but the heel. I don't care much for the way they turned out so I may redo them sometime. I have an electric sander but it is currently at my gfs house and ill get it back soon. As for the clamping down I use masking tape to hold it into place and stick it in front if my fan to dry. I know I have a lot to learn and I look forward to learning it. Thanks for all the tips and for the smoothness I was either going to use bondo or a layer of 2mm foam on top . I saw your juggernaut build and am very impressed great work. Ill be sure to keep in mind all the tips when im forming my next few pieces. Thanks for reading.

This project really is simply beautiful so far and those stilts you've made are a work of genius! good work so far man keep it up :)

@thorn696: Thanks. Short sweet and to the point hah I like it.

@DBmike: Thank you and I almost gave up on the stilts way long ago because they were not cooperating at all when I first attempted them. I worked out all the major kinks in them though and it has given me the boost to get the rest done. Along with all the great feedback I am getting from the forum!

UPDATE: I have more 13 hour shifts this weekend so all I can do is stock up on things for this next week. After considering the advice given to me from Psqiddy and the other foam builds I am going to pick up some 2mm Foam sheets to lay over my 1/2in foam shapes. The thought behind it is I won't have to worry about the 1/2 seams too much as long as the basic shape is there I can make it smooth with the 2mm sheets and get some morth details in. I still have a little bondo left and I may have to use it in some areas, but I am going to try to plan out everything a little better to where I don't have to. I'll admit to everyone the only thing I had planned on when beginning this was that It was going to look awesome when I was done. I didn't know how to start, where to go from there, how to make anything really. I just dove in and started and hoped I came out alive haha. I really do apprieciate all of the great feedback I'm getting and please don't be afraid to criticize anything. Call it a piece of crap, but have a way to back it up haha that's all I need is a little kick in the butt to keep me going. Thanks for reading and I will get back to work on Monday (which is my last final for college so I may not get to it right away)

You should never give up on it. Once it's done you'll have something you can be really proud of :)

OK, I seem to have a little more time today.:cool You're build is moving along nicely. I'm loving how you went about doing up you're stilts. The form and design are awesome looking for this type build. And you foam work is shaping up nicely.

I would say one thing about the stilts tho Check them on each stage of the build....Why you may ask? Weight. I did a stilts build a long time ago and I was shocked at how heavy they got.

I'll be on the edge of my seat watching this build:cool So thank you for taking the time to share you're work with us.

P.S. next post will be short and sweet ;)

OK, I seem to have a little more time today.:cool You're build is moving along nicely. I'm loving how you went about doing up you're stilts. The form and design are awesome looking for this type build. And you foam work is shaping up nicely.

I would say one thing about the stilts tho Check them on each stage of the build....Why you may ask? Weight. I did a stilts build a long time ago and I was shocked at how heavy they got.

I'll be on the edge of my seat watching this build:cool So thank you for taking the time to share you're work with us.

P.S. next post will be short and sweet ;)

I like the short and sweet ones, but I really appriciate the detailed ones that help me too haha so either works. Thanks for the compliments on the stilts and when designing (really redesigning) them I tried to incorperate how heavy they would be when they have a good layer of foam and paint on them. they wiegh a little over 2lbs. each without anything on them. When my brother would practice with them I would duct tape a couple brickes too them to make them about 6lbs. So as long as I get at or below 6lbs he should be fine with the pratice he has had. HOWEVER! (theres always one isnt there haha) I was not checking the weigh at each stage and I shall be doing that now. Thank you very much for bringing that to light before it was too late. Thanks for reading! More to come on Monday.

Hey y'all! I have an update for everyone. I decided that the shins and feet didn't need the 2mm foam layer because I had spent so much of my time sanding and they are probably going to be the least looked at part of the whole thing so I left them alone today. I did put a layer of 2mm over the thighs and I made the forearms.

2012-05-07_13-11-31_777.jpg

Much smoother! Ready for primer and paint (next paycheck haha)

2012-05-07_13-11-24_599.jpg

Oh I did put some fabric over the stilts to see how it would look under the shin. I like it and I tacked it down. It's flexable too so when the parts move it moves kind of like skin. I'll do some painting on it to see if I can't make it look like it too.

2012-05-07_13-11-42_437.jpg

The top of the forearms. I used everyones advice and made them out of one piece of foam and heat formed it into shape. Along with cutting out grooves on the opposite side.

2012-05-07_13-11-59_936.jpg

Inside of forearms. I am going to have parachute clips on them so they are easier to get on and off. The "fins" are just mock ups and are a little small. I might make them unique and have them go all the way from the front of the piece to a good 6in off the back to give it some extra flair haha.

2012-05-07_13-11-11_401.jpg

everything I have so far.

Still to foam:
Shoulders
Torso
Weapon
Helmet

Hey everyone! Update here!
I finished the shoulders today, sorry no pics right now my camera died on me. I'll get them up as soon as my camera charges. I also picked up my plastidip spray and primer. Also I used expanding foam on the head and it is curing right now as I type haha. When it is done I will sand off the paper and coat the foam in plastidip and paint. It's going to be more of a hat that my brother will strap on and such. I am going to start the plastidip and primer tomorrow. Today I am just wating for my camera to charge so I can show y'all my progress. Should be up by tonight. It's sushi day though and I am hungry! Thanks for reading and I'll get the pics up as soon as I can!

Double posts are fun! Only if they have updates though...which I do haha. Here ya go y'all:

2012-05-09_09-31-41_929.jpg

Shoulders, they are upside down in the picture. I didn't take any while I was making them cause as stated before my camera was dead. haha so you'll have to live with them having the first coat of plastidip on them. (I really like that stuff)

2012-05-09_09-27-45_210.jpg

Everything except shoulders, torso, and helmet coated in a layer of plastidip.

2012-05-09_12-07-44_791.jpg

FOUND MY DREMEL!!! I spent about 3 hours the other day looking for it, then today I open my toolbox and low and behold there it was. haha things should be better looking now. key words there "should" and "be" haha

2012-05-09_11-15-52_66.jpg

Elite head before internal foaming. I did a couple tests on smaller version with the foam and they turned out ok. I need to pick up more expanding foam for this guy. I'll pick some up later on my way home from a meeting.

2012-05-09_12-10-27_430.jpg

Be quick and you'll see the elusive elite enjoying a favorite down here in Texas. Raisin Caines!

As always thanks for reading! More updates to come in the near future.

That's a nice elite head you've got there, gonna mount it on your wall? I know I would!
Good pep work, reminds me of when I pep'd an elite head as my first project.

Love watching the elite builds, keep it up!
CJ

That's a nice elite head you've got there, gonna mount it on your wall? I know I would!
Good pep work, reminds me of when I pep'd an elite head as my first project.

Love watching the elite builds, keep it up!
CJ

It's goign to be a wearable costume but maybe when I'm done using it I'll make it into a wall mount or statue haha. thanks for reading!

Looking great so far, just be careful with that expanding foam. I would fiberglass the pepakura first, then do the foam SLOWLY. Trying to coat the entire inside can mess up the reaction and make it gloop together in a mess rather than expand.

Looking great so far, just be careful with that expanding foam. I would fiberglass the pepakura first, then do the foam SLOWLY. Trying to coat the entire inside can mess up the reaction and make it gloop together in a mess rather than expand.

whoops haha, I used the fast curing stuff and did it one small area at a time covering any holes that seeped the foam. I wish I would've thought to harden the pep first but I've worked with this foam before and when its fully cured its really firm and works well. It cuts a little like styrofoam without the mess. In the end all that matters is the look right? I don't mind the extra work if it means a better result. That being said this foam is very workable and I think a date with my dremel will do the trick to make it look more like the pep. Thanks for reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back