Halo Movie Back In Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of don't want a Halo movie to happen now....

1. They waited too long, just before Halo 3 or something would have been perfect. Halo's kind of losing it's momentum, though I don't know what will happen with Reach.

2. Hollywood will most likely "American action movie" it up with the Chief being some wise cracking one liner, and every other cliche out there.

3. Nothing would really make Halo as pic as the books or games. It would probably be one of he most expensive movies ever made if they did replicate that awesomeness.

I personally think the "IT MUST BE PERFECT!" attitude is annoying. Of course it's not going to be perfect, look how Halo Legends turned out (no flame wars please) but it did have it's moments. All in all, I would say in all probability, this movie is going to kick ass, regardless of it's flaws.

I'll bet my last internet cookie that this rumor comes to nothing, I'm past hoping now. So many movies I wanted to see die in pre-production (ever heard of Lone Survivor?), so until I see something more conrete, I'm not getting my hopes up and I'm not forming an opinion.

I figured I should do some myth busting here.

All that information provided by your friend in the opening post has been up for well over two years on the IMDb. It hasn't been updated because there is nothing to update it with, and those crew are hang-backs to the original movie attempt back in 2007-8. The status is now set to "announced" after being "in production" for an absolute age, but the fact it has that status alone means it will end up on production lists. In all likelihood, the "list" of in production movies he drew from is the long list you can get through IMDb Pro showing productions at the various stages of development, and as such, the information is more than likely false.

Sorry guys.

I am actually beyond belief at this point. I will believe that a Halo movie is coming out when I start seeing trailers in the theaters.

Yes, i hope they make it.

Yes, I hope it's epic.

Yes, I hope they ask us to be part of it (but then again, how many comic book fans got to be a part of the new crop of movies).

However, I agree with RadioactiveMicrobe. They waited too long. It would have had a better impact earlier. It will only do great if Reach garners the attention it should and then the movie is going to be about MC which is a different part of the storyline. All I hope for now is the Fan Films which I and several others are working on original scripts. Those I still have true hope for. I will still go see the movie IF it comes out but I will reserve my epic win or epic fail for when it actually does come out. What will happen to this movie is only known by the people in Hollywood. If my cousin, who is an actor, can't talk about his new movie (due to being sued if he does) then the leaks are just people teasing us.

I still want it to come out and I want US to be a part of it.

Peter Cooper said:

All that information provided by your friend in the opening post has been up for well over two years on the IMDb. It hasn't been updated because there is nothing to update it with, and those crew are hang-backs to the original movie attempt back in 2007-8. The status is now set to "announced" after being "in production" for an absolute age, but the fact it has that status alone means it will end up on production lists. In all likelihood, the "list" of in production movies he drew from is the long list you can get through IMDb Pro showing productions at the various stages of development, and as such, the information is more than likely false.

Sorry guys.

Thanks for crushing our dreams. :plol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as per frankie here: CinemaSpy Interview on 2/11/2010,

O'Connor said he regularly "dusts off" the development material created to support the Halo film. "We're Microsoft," he said. "We can afford to be patient.

So, if this does happen, I forsee a MAJOR 405th event at it's launch.

Oh, and if it's in NYC, I'll invite everyone over for for a pre-screening BBQ before heading over :cool

I think the "grain of salt" cliche should be applied heavily to this...

As much as I would like it to be done, I'm skeptical.

Hopefully it's not like the Eragon movie, I mean, it sucked compared to the book. It was a good movie, it just didn't correlate with the book at ALL.

I understand your skepticism... I did get a chance to ask him yesterday about his source and he has a friend that is an executive in charge of financing for it and says there is a lot of activity going on for it, so far it's a go. I myself would like more proof, but I trust him 100% and hopefully they go through with it.

Peter Cooper said:

Sorry guys.

Well, I do trust your source more than the IMDB article. :)

I'm pulling for it, no doubt!

Whether it's moving forward or not, you've gotten people talking about it. Speculation is always fun.

Thanks!

May everyone keep in mind that last time we had a Halo movie underway it was well into production. Peter Jackson was producing and Blokempt was directing. Then suddently, there was a change in motion, the plot fell through with the budget, and all the effort to film in South Africa was for nothing. Less than a full week later a meeting was held to determine what to do with the already-in-place-props. Blokempt pitched an idea that became District 9 and three days later a half-assed (in my opinion) movie was underway. The aliens, the setting, equipment was all in place for Halo.

Now they're talking about going back to the original script that had too many B-rated non-halo related moments in it??? And letting Blokempt Direct it??? Or Peter Jackson??!? (My vote is James Cameron with Bungie to advise the story)

I don't know what Hollywood plans to do with this. I've heard all sorts of stuff and plan to let the rumor mill keep producing crap by the bushel. But I won't participate by helping take it to market.

All I know is that this should follow the story of the games, explore the beautiful worlds of Halo (with its rich colors like Avatar), and done right for the Millions of fans who have made Halo as popular as it has become and give us something to remember.

All things considered, my bet the reason we haven't seen any good info yet is because they are arguing how to produce it cheap and how to make the most money. Every person who watched DOOM, Far Cry, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or other video game-to-movie adaptations will see a cold biter day when the Halo movie joins them in the 1.99 bucket of has-been DVDs at Walmart.

Either this movie will be as awesome as the first time you felt when you destroyed a Scarab in Halo 3 (I wish to see), or as depressing when Sgt. Johnson died.

No matter what though, it will make more money than Avatar, Spider-man, and Titanic combined, but for now I choose not to "Believe"

Roodkill said:

I agree with you for the most part, however I would NOT want to have James Cameron as director. "Oh why do you NOT want James Cameron the director of Avatar, Titanic, ect. to be director of the Halo film?"

Because in Avatar it gave the military a negative outlook Which in my popinion was almost like a slap to the face, because we have ALOT of service men/women in war right now, and I do not applaude a movie which makes the military look like jarheads/ people destroying the WORLD just so they can get the job done. (Just my opinion on this particular subject.)

(Btw Bungie while we're on the subject, are the UNSC/Army/Allies of any sort going to have awesome fighting skills, while being smart? Just curious.)

Ok I'll turn off my microphone, my speech is done. lol.

I sincerely hope your friend is right.

I want a halo movie, especially if they make it like the We are ODST trailer.

I have a strange taste in movies, though. I watch "The Black Hole", "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" and "Wing Commander" and enjoy them, so I may not be the best judge. :D

shade i understand your point of veiw but. it wasnt a military operation in the avatar movie it was a mercenary group with really really bad eggs as the commanders. the military i know isnt like that... but then again isnt the military always the bad guys in movies? well except for a few movies like hurt locker and starship troopers. yes those are the only two i can think of... oh and jarhead.... and these are the only ones ive watched where the military isnt mean

I honestly hope a Halo movie isn't made. As has been mentioned before, Halo's popularity has taken a massive dive since Halo 3's launch, and making a movie now would be absolutely horrific timing. They wouldn't be able to finish before Reach is released, and releasing the movie later would be the same as releasing it now, when Halo is pretty bogged down under so many new games.

Plus, Halo doesn't seem very well suited to a movie adaptation. Halo Legends was a pretty good indicator of that.

I don't know, the combined look and feel of "We Are ODST" and "Halo: Landfall" would make a pretty cool movie. I think just seeing the Halo world come to life would be amazing. I agree with the popularity thing though, I think the movie would have been more much effective shortly after Halo 3's launch. Also, Halo Legends was crap. You can't condemn the movie based on some cartoons made by Japanese anime companies that don't see Halo as big as we do.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
I honestly hope a Halo movie isn't made. As has been mentioned before, Halo's popularity has taken a massive dive since Halo 3's launch, and making a movie now would be absolutely horrific timing. They wouldn't be able to finish before Reach is released, and releasing the movie later would be the same as releasing it now, when Halo is pretty bogged down under so many new games.

Plus, Halo doesn't seem very well suited to a movie adaptation. Halo Legends was a pretty good indicator of that.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

Well Halo Legends was just animated shorts that were done in different parts. I wouldn't call it a full movie, even though combined its lengthed to be one.

All is just to be considered, If it happens it happens, if it doesn't then it doesn't its basically a win/lose situation for everyone. Could be win/win, lose,lose or even win/lose.

And i guess its pretty late to come up with the movie now. even after what? 5 halo games? HaloWars-Halo-Halo2-Halo3:Odst-Halo3.

Spraynoob

Those people who believe keep believing, those who are skeptics go ahead and skepticize (Lul idk what im saying) xD

I gotta butt in here real quick, it just seems so fun :p lol

Shade said:
I agree with you for the most part, however I would NOT want to have James Cameron as director. "Oh why do you NOT want James Cameron the director of Avatar, Titanic, ect. to be director of the Halo film?"

Because in Avatar it gave the military a negative outlook Which in my popinion was almost like a slap to the face, because we have ALOT of service men/women in war right now, and I do not applaude a movie which makes the military look like jarheads/ people destroying the WORLD just so they can get the job done. (Just my opinion on this particular subject.)

(Btw Bungie while we're on the subject, are the UNSC/Army/Allies of any sort going to have awesome fighting skills, while being smart? Just curious.)

Ok I'll turn off my microphone, my speech is done. lol.

I gotta agree with CommanderFluffy for the most part. While Cameron was likely making a political statement against the war in the middle east, I feel more of the criticism was aimed at the administration and not individual soldiers. In fact, he makes the average soldier admirable in a way, as the protagonist was a former marine. Oh, and I can name a lot of movies where the military are the good guys (Saving Private Ryan, The Memphis Belle, Top Gun, The Great Escape, Black Hawk Down, etc. etc.)

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

Ehh, agree and disagree. At the very moment, releasing a Halo movie would be a very BAD idea, because of what you said about its popularity. I say wait a few years when the Halo games start turning up on all of the "classics" lists, and are surrounded by the hype of how groundbreaking they were and stuff. Also, the special effects needed to give it justice will have been developed by then... who knows, maybe they'll have a fully functional pelican by then? lol As for your idea about movie adaptation, go on youtube and search for the cutscene reels. Just watching those successively feels like watching a short movie... with plot development missing of course, lol. What I'm saying is that the storyline is pretty cinematic already imho, and it wouldn't take much to turn it into one of the few videogame-to-movie success stories, like the first Tomb Raider. Then again, TR did have Angelina Jolie...

Look don't get me wrong with Avatar, but while it was a great film and all it really wasn't anything new we haven't seen in story plots already. It was Halo meets Fern Gully. My vote for James Cameron is based on his ability to capture the essence and fullness of characters from all sides and keep the film moving. Keep in mind he directed Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Rambo: First blood 2, etc... the guy has talent and the ability to make you feel like you are apart of the film. He could get the scenes with the flood to be terrifying I think. But that's just my vote. :)

None the less the only Halo movie I'm looking forword to are the ones we here at the 405th can count on. Starting with Halo: OC.

I mean many of us have the armor, some of us have the technology to film it, and we all have the time. We could get coordnated, but it's a matter who,what,when,where.

long story short, Can I get an ooh-Rah! for the 405th?

ooh-RAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back