Halo Movie Back In Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
iSUPERNOOB said:
Oh, and I can name a lot of movies where the military are the good guys (Saving Private Ryan, The Memphis Belle, Top Gun, The Great Escape, Black Hawk Down, etc. etc.)

At the risk of sounding facetious, Saving Private Ryan clearly shows several American war crimes intended to sicken you, and Blackhawk Down goes out of its way to show US soldiers as gung-ho and unrepentant for killing or what they had done in Somalia in turning Mogadishu into a warzone...

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to believe.. but much like UFO's, the abominable snowman, and honest politicians, I have been misled before and regretted my naiveté. Maybe because I want this to be true so much.. I can no longer believe in it.

I wish the Halo movie the best of luck, but it has lied to me before and I can't trust it without losing more of my own faith. I won't believe in it until I see concrete footage and incontrovertible evidence that the movie is being made and will be released. Otherwise I think it's all a internet rumor.

If Frankie called me tomorrow and told me different... I might begin to believe.. but it's going to take a whole lot to make up for the first few failures. This deal has been killed deader than dead in front of all of Hollywood... thats a tall hill to climb.

Until then, you all might as well be talking about the bermuda triangle... It's fun to chat about and an exciting idea, but without finite evidence and progress.. it's ultimately pointless to speculate.

I'm sorry for having that opinion, I know it's not particularly positive, and usually I keep those kind of thoughts to myself, but I felt I should weigh in since I've been a key contributor to the whole Halo movie discussion here since before Peter Jackson was mentioned. This requires a brand new generation of fans getting their hopes up about the Halo movie to perpetuate the buzz. I'm afraid I can't do that anymore.

I'm buzzed out. I refuse to get excited about it until I have the movie tickets in my hand. Even then.. I'll be checking to make sure it's not April 1st and theres not a note stuck to my back.

Proceed with speculation all you want. Like I said, it's fun. Maybe one day it will happen. That will be an awesome day. Wake me when you need me.

I follow Sean's example. Give me solid proof and I'll believe it.

Besides, it isn't as though Jackson is the only producer that could take this under hand. I'd take pretty much any producer, as long as it isn't Uwe Boll.

Arcanine said:
I follow Sean's example. Give me solid proof and I'll believe it.

Besides, it isn't as though Jackson is the only producer that could take this under hand. I'd take pretty much any producer, as long as it isn't Uwe Boll.

In Uwe's defence, he is fairly astute in a technical sense. The problem is he ends up with awful projects, awful scripts and ends up making movies that the execs want but which are bloody awful.

The exception being Postal, though. That's a work of pure genius, and well worth a watch.

I'll take that under advisement. Still, if Uwe was actually concerned about quality over profits, he'd have thrown the poor scripts out and gotten a better writer - I can blame him for that.

Back to the Halo movie, though: script aside, I really hope that if this is the real deal, the costuming department gets a decent budget. I don't want plastic Spartans.

Arcanine said:
Back to the Halo movie, though: script aside, I really hope that if this is the real deal, the costuming department gets a decent budget. I don't want plastic Spartans.

lol, at this rate, the 405TH can be the costume department. although then you will have plastic Spartans :unsure.

i think the 405th needs to make a movie, IT has the resources like modelers, writers, molders, builders, painters, but im not sure about actors? or camera men? too bad the members are scattered around the world. just a crazy and half ridiculous thought anyways :p

PS: i do know of operation chastity, that's one film we can be exited for :)

Peter Cooper said:
In Uwe's defence, he is fairly astute in a technical sense. The problem is he ends up with awful projects, awful scripts and ends up making movies that the execs want but which are bloody awful.

The exception being Postal, though. That's a work of pure genius, and well worth a watch.

well I thought "Sunshine" was fantastic, but again, I'm not saying Halo the movie isn't going to be good.

I'm gonna go with Sean with this one.

"Pics or it didn't happen"

Peter Cooper said:
At the risk of sounding facetious, Saving Private Ryan clearly shows several American war crimes intended to sicken you, and Blackhawk Down goes out of its way to show US soldiers as gung-ho and unrepentant for killing or what they had done in Somalia in turning Mogadishu into a warzone...

I gotta disagree on this one. Both those movies did portray combat in brutal ways, but combat is brutal. Yes, soldiers start out gung-ho, as they have for thousands of years, but boys turn to men and men turn to heros in in the fire of combat. BHD demonstrated this, if not SPR.

When you boil it all down, soldiers don't fight for the politics behind their deployment, they fight for the guy standing next to them. And if keeping your comrades alive involves wrecking the city that's trying to kill you, then so be it. And that's why I wouldn't want Cameron directing Halo. To much politics. When it comes down to it, that's not what combat is all about.

It don't really matter anyway, though. I don't see Halo getting made any time soon. With Sean on that.

I don't think I can add anything that han't been said but, I liked Doom and Mortalcombat. DOOM, I think fit the game pretty well, and the FPS scene was just great :D

Project003 said:
well I thought "Sunshine" was fantastic, but again, I'm not saying Halo the movie isn't going to be good.

I'm gonna go with Sean with this one.

"Pics or it didn't happen"

I love Sunshine too - I just hope you're not suggesting Uwe Boll made it. That'd be Danny Boyle, who is, as we know, much better.

Peter Cooper said:
I love Sunshine too - I just hope you're not suggesting Uwe Boll made it. That'd be Danny Boyle, who is, as we know, much better.

I looked up the Bio for one of the Writers, Alex Garland, states that he wrote the script for "Sunshine". I asumed I was correct, if not, than I thank you for clearing that up.

Project003 said:
I looked up the Bio for one of the Writers, Alex Garland, states that he wrote the script for "Sunshine". I asumed I was correct, if not, than I thank you for clearing that up.

Oh, sorry, thought we were still on directors! Yeah, Garland wrote it, as well as The Beach and 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later IIRC. He's a good writer. However, as his script showed, it wasn't the right angle for a Halo film. I would argue he needed a bit more steering.

Peter Cooper said:
Oh, sorry, thought we were still on directors! Yeah, Garland wrote it, as well as The Beach and 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later IIRC. He's a good writer. However, as his script showed, it wasn't the right angle for a Halo film. I would argue he needed a bit more steering.

no problem. anyway, that's what i'm trying to get at, I'm not sure how the movie is gonig to be played out, or i might love it either way, but I need Progression pics if they want to convince me that the're actually doing something other than saying "we're making a movie". that's what they said last time.

update found this on kotaku, Halo Creators Have Been Hitting The Mountain Dew

It's understandable that game creators hold their franchises dear, and think the world of them. But Bungie's hopes for the upcoming Halo: Reach might be going a little too far.

Speaking with Industrygamers, Bungie's Brian Jarrard has revealed he has some high hopes for the latest Halo game. High hopes indeed.

"Are there more stories to be told in the Halo universe? Absolutely. Do I think Reach will be the biggest game ever and probably attract an even larger audience to the fan community? Yes, I actually do. I would think that the marketplace for a movie would be more ripe post Reach than it even was after Halo 3, so I'm willing to bet that it's not a matter of if, just when," he told the website.

"I'm just speculating here since it's Microsoft's decision, but looking at how Halo Legends went and the release of that animated feature, definitely there's demand for it, and I do applaud them for not rushing into it and waiting until they find the right people and the right creative ideas and the right time frame. I think all of us at Bungie would love to see the right movie still get made with the right people; we're just going to have to wait and see, just like all of our fans!"

Looks like somebody didn't get the memo, where it was spelled out that annual spin-offs of the franchise (not to mention the absence of hero Master Chief) have diluted many people's interest in the Halo series. Sure, Reach will sell a few million, and may well be fantastic, but biggest game in the series? Big enough to get a movie made when Halo 3 and Peter Jackson couldn't? That might be pushing it.

Ronster said:
Now what would that really bring to the Halo universe, other than irrelevant violence?

This isn't a God of War movie...

Did you read the fall of reach?

This actually happens... But with a jackal instead of a marine.

Shade said:
I agree with you for the most part, however I would NOT want to have James Cameron as director. "Oh why do you NOT want James Cameron the director of Avatar, Titanic, ect. to be director of the Halo film?"

Because in Avatar it gave the military a negative outlook Which in my popinion was almost like a slap to the face, because we have ALOT of service men/women in war right now, and I do not applaude a movie which makes the military look like jarheads/ people destroying the WORLD just so they can get the job done. (Just my opinion on this particular subject.)

(Btw Bungie while we're on the subject, are the UNSC/Army/Allies of any sort going to have awesome fighting skills, while being smart? Just curious.)

Ok I'll turn off my microphone, my speech is done. lol.

avatar had the theme of white man vs. indians only the movie is native alien vs. from space humans

My opinion is that they have been halting on the movie ever since the ORIGINAL script from the days of Halo:CE. I have been watching waiting speculating with schoolmates, friends, exc. and I am just fed up with this MOVIE!!!!!!YAY!!!!!! and then ops sorry guys crap. IF THEY ARE MAKING A MOVIE THEN THEY SHOULD POST PICs OF DEVELOPMENT

xalener said:
Did you read the fall of reach?

This actually happens... But with a jackal instead of a marine.

also in "The Flood" on the silent Cartographer, a hunter curb-stomps a marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back