Halo Movie Back In Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sepharih said:
Very sparingly, if ever. Height adjustment like that usually isn't done in post just because it's just not practical. 9 times out of 10 the height tricks were all done in camera with either forced perspective, or shorter doubles. If computers were ever used it was mostly just to cut and paste someone's head on digitally.

Well, that's what I meant. They did EVERYTHING to make hobbets short.

giant animatronic bar patron suits, green screen, face replacement, forced perspective.

That's what Halo needs. Everything, not jsut CG out the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats true, the shorts really showed us what they got, and showed themselves that they ARE capable of creating a full length movie. I wonder who is going to make the armor and weapons....??? :lol :rolleyes

As much as I would LOVE to see a Halo movie, and still glance at the latest RUMORS, I will remain highly skeptical about the status if this epic (and it BETTER be) project.

Sangheili811 said:
I think the filmakers were worried that if the chief stayed faceless, the regular movie-going audience (non-Halo fans) wouldn't bond with him.

I understand their hesitation, but personally, I think it's unfounded at this point.

Really, with Arnold Schwarzenegger's emotionless t-800 being named one of the top 50 heroes of all time by the American film institute, as well as other faceless cinematic characters achieving such huge cult status, I honestly don't think it's beyond the regular movie going audience to cheer for a faceless hero; especially when said hero is supposed to be more like a force of nature than anything else.

Again, if I were king, I'd portray chief sort of like how Tim Burton portrayed Batman in the first Batman movie, as this mysterious and powerful force. Despite being the central protagnist in that movie he doesn't really have a whole lot of dialogue or any kind of significant characterization, but in a way that's almost what makes the character so interesting and memorable in the film.

xalener said:
Well, that's what I meant. They did EVERYTHING to make hobbets short.

giant animatronic bar patron suits, green screen, face replacement, forced perspective.

That's what Halo needs. Everything, not jsut CG out the ass.

I'm just pointing out that, one way or another, unless they decide to make Chief 6' tall (bad idea), or they decide to make him a CGI creation, it's axiomatic that they are going to have a 7' tall stuntman/creature actor for a good 90% of this movie, including if they pull a Spider-man and have a big action sequence with his helmet off (HORRIBLE idea). This being the case, I think it just makes sense to just go the whole 9 yards, keep the helmet on, and recast Steve Downes.

The old saying goes: beggars can't be choosers, and if and when they do a hollywood production Halo movie there's a pretty good chance they'll go with a known actor in the part, and I don't think that for most people that will kill their interest in the project. I do think most fans could accept another actor in the role.

However, another part of me says that if Transformers fans can get Peter Cullen back as Optimus Prime then Halo fans damn well deserve to get Steve Downes back as Chief. Hell, I'm still frakin pissed off they didn't even get him back for Halo Legends.

I think that they will eventually make a movie based off the Halo Universe. I think it will be more of when that is the question to be asked. Putting a movie out while interest is high is a sure fire way to sell a movie, as long as people are not getting burned out by it all. Another way would be to produce it after the hype and fascination has drifted from the forefront. Then you come out with a movie that portrays a classic and you will make money. I think if they do make a movie that they will try their best to make it as epic as possible. If they were to put out a crap movie, I am sure they would lose almost all of their support from the hardcore fans. If that happened I think by then (assuming they try to keep the halo universe alive for a few more years) that most people who are still faithful to the games will be hardcore fans only. And if they cross the hardcore fans, since by then that would be there only target market, they would lose a lot of support way to fast.

When it comes down to the Chief....well he is better left without a face...Bungie said in an interview that Chief was faceless because they wanted him that way. Not only is it easier to leave him that way but by now everyone has their own personal opinion of how he would look exactly (the books give details on some things, but I am talkin about shapes and facial features more than obvious characteristics). Not only that, leaving his face out leaves the opportunity for one to imagine that they were the Chief....I know that's not quite exact but that's how I remember it...and some of it may be my own take on what they said...so don't shoot me if I am wrong...lol

I saw Avatar....I liked the movie. Yes the over all plot could be easily compared to Pocahontas...But that's only if you look at it in a very, very basic sense. Plus, what movies are really original anymore? Also, when I watched the movie, I never took any political symbolism or portrayals from the movie like some have expressed were there. I never try to read into a movie that much. The reason I don't read into them is because the movie is meant for entertainment purposes...and I will take it as that, and nothing more. Also, I don't believe the majority of Americans looked that deeply into the movie to see those political things either. If the majority of Americans did that, I think the movie would have sold a lot less tickets. I believe that because politics is a very sensitive subject for many people, and many have their opinions and beliefs about it. When you cross the line and dip into it to much, then you alienate people and push them away from what you are trying to sell them. Rule of thumb is, in my opinion (it may have been a quote I heard somewhere), that when someone is satisfied with something you sell to them or do for them they will tell a few people. When you do something or sell something to them and you are not pleased with it, you will tell many people. I know that is usually what I do with most things. I am quick to complain about something, yet slow when it comes to giving out credit for certain things. By that I mean, when I am pleased with a company or product, I do not tell everyone about how happy I am with things. I do appreciate a job well done...but I just see no need to tell anyone and everyone.

I shall sit down. I have expressed myself. Please don't be to hard on me. lol

Comparing Avatar's plot to pocahontas is damn stupid.

"Oh no! This sci fi movie is SUCH a ripoff of a real event in American history! Reality should sue!"

But yeah, you're right.

You should NEVER read into movies. Unless they are made to be read into.

Think about this. Directors never EVER make movies for any of you. They make them for themselves. That's why directors direct, they like directing. Just like actors and writers and special effects artists and everyone else.

Whatever purpose these people had when making the film should be what you use it for. If you watch an analytical film for entertainment (scanner Darkly/ Bladerunner) you become bored and alienated. Just like if you watch an entertainment movie with an analytical POV (Transformers, mummy), then you'll call it stupid and shallow.

Cameron wanted to make Avatar for both purposes... But since he chose a subject that was already analysed to hell, there's no real point.

The thing is, Halo is the perfect property to succeed where Cameron failed. It could touch on the ethics behind the spartan program as well as the baddassery that spew out of their pores.

bungie has something new down the pipe, could be the closest thing to a movie being made. or maybe a prop builder just gave them some really awesome tech?

what the?

could be April fools trap :/

80712899.jpg

ForgedReclaimer said:
bungie has something new down the pipe, could be the closest thing to a movie being made. or maybe a prop builder just gave them some really awesome tech?

what the?

could be April fools trap :/

80712899.jpg

That's the Rubies supreme helmet. You can tell becuase it only has the top light, and the appearance of and the weathering pattern on the brown ridge plastic.

More bull. If they want this to be taken seriously they shouldn't have released it today. C'mon Bungie, you can pull a better hoax than that!

xalener said:
You should NEVER read into movies. Unless they are made to be read into.

Think about this. Directors never EVER make movies for any of you. They make them for themselves. That's why directors direct, they like directing. Just like actors and writers and special effects artists and everyone else.

Whatever purpose these people had when making the film should be what you use it for. If you watch an analytical film for entertainment (scanner Darkly/ Bladerunner) you become bored and alienated. Just like if you watch an entertainment movie with an analytical POV (Transformers, mummy), then you'll call it stupid and shallow.

That's actually what I hated about Avatar. If you're making a sci-fi action movie, fine, but don't expect me to give a damn about the glowing flowers. Although I do enjoy not having every single cliché possible be included in whatever movie I'm watching.

Ok first to the movie I never thought Abu the store clerk from The Simpsons was actually Master Chief. Now I have been a extra in a couple of movies when Gods And Generals was done a lot of the soldiers were members of

re-enactment groups, with the movie Fanboys a lot of them were extras from the 501st costuming group. So if you get my drift if they are getting ready to make a Halo movie the chances are pretty high that Bungie might contact the 405th for film extras. Of course there can only be one Master Chief in the movie but if they go looking for extras from the 405th they could pick out a lot of Marines and ODSTs for the film.

I swear if they show the face or do not use Mk V armor i will kill them all.

-.-

Angry nerd Cayoke

Nintendude said:
Ok first to the movie I never thought Abu the store clerk from The Simpsons was actually Master Chief. Now I have been a extra in a couple of movies when Gods And Generals was done a lot of the soldiers were members of

re-enactment groups, with the movie Fanboys a lot of them were extras from the 501st costuming group. So if you get my drift if they are getting ready to make a Halo movie the chances are pretty high that Bungie might contact the 405th for film extras. Of course there can only be one Master Chief in the movie but if they go looking for extras from the 405th they could pick out a lot of Marines and ODSTs for the film.

If he is right about what he says about the extras for HALO (provided it does officially get started and we see proof), then y'all better start on some workout program because they will work you hard like real Marines for the film. That means running lots of miles, pull-ups, sit-up, crunches, push-ups, and other strength and endurance exercises. That reminds me, I got to hit the gym tomorrow...

No they probably won't work you hard for the film if you get to be extras, but you will want to get a little running practice in. With Gods and Generals it was pretty much stand around, listen to the actors while you stood around and when it finally came to the fight you either ran or shot or got shot.

Nintendude said:

I'm not some bigshot in the industry, just a visual fx artist, so if I have faulty information feel free to correct me, but here are my thoughts on this:

1. First, keep in mind that if there is an actual Halo movie that gets developed it will be by a major Hollywood studios, unless Microsoft decides to go independent with the thing under 343 industries. Either way, if Bungie is involved in some fashion they probably won't be involved in decisions like this.

2. In all likely hood, it will be filmed somewhere like New Zealand where there will be budgetary incentives to do so, and they will probably stick to locals for extras. There's not really much sense spending money flying huge loads of fans from all over just to sit in the background of the movie. So if you live near where the movie is being filmed then you probably have a shot, but otherwise not so much.

3. Keep in mind that Fanboys was an independent film, so the main reason they got the 501st involved is probably because it could save them money they didn't have if they were to try to do it on their own. Halo would be a multimillion dollar production. This would be more like George Lucas hiring members of the 501st for Star Wars Episode 7. Would be awesome, but not likely

4. Finally, keep in mind that if you do wind up as an extra, in all likelihood the costume department will already have their own versions of the armor and uniforms that will fit the continuity of the scene, as well as their own art style for the film. The armor and costumes will probably not look 100% like they do in the game and by extension, not like how everyone's different builds on here look.

Showing up in full ODST or UNSC marine gear may very well win you some serious points for enthusiasm and might even get you the job, but your work probably won't show up on film no matter how awesome it might look.

That was Gods and Generals John, the fighting in Halo is much different. Think more modern combat. The main differences are that we would be in heavy, bulky armor, carying heavy weapons and ammo plus other gear. There may be scenes where we have to haul heavy stuff under fire, carry a wounded comerade from the battle to safety, or flip something heavy to make cover for ourselves, all while wearing armor and carrying weapons and gear. The demands of war today and in the future is alot more demanding in both the physical and mental sense than in the 1860s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back