Halo Paint Ball Markers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole990

im new to the whole armor making community but i am willing to learn. i wanted to start with making weapons before i try harder projects. so a quick questions for all the people with experience, making halo airsoft and paintball markers good idea? bad? if i go through with this i want to know if any one has already done so and if they work and look good.

Hi, first of all, welcome to the 405th. Second, one of our users Awesomeness created a very detailed thread on this topic, which can be found here. Third, I'd like to advise you to do some research before posting threads, some people can get touchy. But once again, welcome!

You can make a shell for you gun, but don't ever try to make paintball armor, unless you want to go to the hospital to get some fiberglass/bondo out of you eyes.

-Pony

I think Mikyvengeance is creating a paintball AR, someguy made a paintball lancer (the gun from gears of war) and it's on the elite showcase. If somebody could post the links it would truly help this guy. I can't right now because I'm using an I- pod touch :lol

I made a paintball AR! there's a link under my signature picture.

but I had to cancel the project because the gun itself broke inside and it would cost more to fix than to just buy a new one. :(

I think that making weapons is generally considered more difficult than making armor.

I personally believe that making Halo armor and weapons, besides being difficult and possibly unsafe, is in direct contradiction to what my goals for paintball armor and weapons are. Why would I want to add needless bulk, weight, and movement restriction to gear designed for mock-combat? I benefit greatly from being small, light, aware, and highly mobile. Adding a shell to the gun is going to be about like taping a brick to it, and it makes it a bigger target when exposing it from concealment and cover.

I also suggest that you read the posts in my signature, since they should be of interest to you.

I have heard that you can buy shell for paintball guns imitating real types. There is nothing wrong with making a shell for the gun as it Poses little or no risk to the user, and if it is constructed properly will not encumber the gun much at all.

I would just like to remind you that every person has their own opinions, and they may not apply directly to a person due to their skills and capability. What people do is their own business as is what happens to them as a consequence. People should examine all points of view (Biased and unbaised) befor taking an opinion as canon.

Then again, what I just said is opinion.

While I generally agree that opinions should not be taken at face value, these paintball posts are ridiculous. There is absolutely no tactical advantage to having paintball weapons or armor. They are 100% aesthetic. Yet there are numerous very real disadvantages, so it's not even a reasonable compromise.

IMG_0551.jpg

i got the buzzbee blaster and put a cheap gun inside. it's pretty light and durable. it probably won't get destroyed when i go.

Awesomeness said:
While I generally agree that opinions should not be taken at face value, these paintball posts are ridiculous. There is absolutely no tactical advantage to having paintball weapons or armor. They are 100% aesthetic. Yet there are numerous very real disadvantages, so it's not even a reasonable compromise.

I would agree with you if you yourself had made/used a piece of equipment like this, but from what I see you haven't. There are many things that serve for solely aesthetic value Ex. Spoilers on cars, the reason why they are used is because the owner wants it too look good, they don't mind if there is a setback to doing this. Therefore, if somebody wants something for aesthetic reasons they should go ahead with it, as long they know that it may decrease gameplay, the only reason they are making it look like this is because they want the novelty of it, not for strategic value. Why are some paintball guns made to look similar to real ones? not to improve their accuracy or rate of fire, but because it looks cooler! It may seem irrational to you, but some people like doing things, no matter the setback bevcause it looks cool!

Now I suggest we both wait until somebody has used one of these so modified paint weapons, so they can tell us how much of a disadvantage they actually had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Devious said:
I would agree with you if you yourself had made/used a piece of equipment like this, but from what I see you haven't. There are many things that serve for solely aesthetic value Ex. Spoilers on cars, the reason why they are used is because the owner wants it too look good, they don't mind if there is a setback to doing this. Therefore, if somebody wants something for aesthetic reasons they should go ahead with it, as long they know that it may decrease gameplay, the only reason they are making it look like this is because they want the novelty of it, not for strategic value. Why are some paintball guns made to look similar to real ones? not to improve their accuracy or rate of fire, but because it looks cooler! It may seem irrational to you, but some people like doing things, no matter the setback bevcause it looks cool!

Now I suggest we both wait until somebody has used one of these so modified paint weapons, so they can tell us how much of a disadvantage they actually had.

There is no need to have done something in order to be critical of it. Inference is exactly what makes humans special. I don't have to drive my car into a brick wall to be able to tell you that it's a bad idea. By definition something is irrational if it has no rational explanation, and thus no real point.

While some people may put non-functional spoilers on their cars (typically kids or young adults, which I don't think is a coincidence), they are typically ridiculed by people who "know better". You won't see a non-functional spoiler on the car of any serious racer at the track. In fact real racers remove everything that's not critical, including door/interior panels, carpet, air conditioning, and even the alternator for some. You won't see a professional competitive paintball player using a shelled gun, unless they are being paid to do so. You won't see an Army soldier running around with a shelled gun, either.

The reason some paintball guns are made to look like real ones, is because those manufacturers do have a rational reason, namely to sell it to people foolish enough to buy things strictly on aesthetics. If they can convince you to buy their gun over another based on looks, forgive poor performance because it looks cool, or pay extra over a similar model for cool looks, then you have played right into their trap (the trap to separate you from your money). One of the fundamental principles of marketing is to try to generate a need where there is not one, to make you feel that there is value in owning their product.

People would be far better off trying to shell a weapon that isn't going to interfere with their performance, like a console video game "blaster".

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Awesomeness said:
There is no need to have done something in order to be critical of it. Inference is exactly what makes humans special. I don't have to drive my car into a brick wall to be able to tell you that it's a bad idea. By definition something is irrational if it has no rational explanation, and thus no real point.

While some people may put non-functional spoilers on their cars (typically kids or young adults, which I don't think is a coincidence), they are typically ridiculed by people who "know better". You won't see a non-functional spoiler on the car of any serious racer at the track. In fact real racers remove everything that's not critical, including door/interior panels, carpet, air conditioning, and even the alternator for some. You won't see a professional competitive paintball player using a shelled gun, unless they are being paid to do so. You won't see an Army soldier running around with a shelled gun, either.

The reason some paintball guns are made to look like real ones, is because those manufacturers do have a rational reason, namely to sell it to people foolish enough to buy things strictly on aesthetics. If they can convince you to buy their gun over another based on looks, forgive poor performance because it looks cool, or pay extra over a similar model for cool looks, then you have played right into their trap (the trap to separate you from your money). One of the fundamental principles of marketing is to try to generate a need where there is not one, to make you feel that there is value in owning their product.

People would be far better off trying to shell a weapon that isn't going to interfere with their performance, like a console video game "blaster".

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all the armour making of this site purely for aesthetic value?

lol when I walked into the ready station.

everybody, I mean every single person came up to me and said how amazing my gun looked and how they praise me for making it look so sweet.

People took pictures and videos of it and were just so excited for it :p

especially the counter.

I just wish I had more money for molding and casting to make the gun more stronger.

AceHigh said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all the armour making of this site purely for aesthetic value?

It is, but none of it is being used in any physically competitive situation. I haven't seen any posts of anyone trying to run a marathon wearing some Mk VI, or swim with their helmet on,... My point was that intentionally hindering yourself when you're playing a competitive game is poor decision making. Maybe they just don't care about winning. Maybe they suck enough that they had no hope of winning anyways, and being novel is their way of coping. Maybe kids are just foolish, and need to screw things up to learn. All probably legitimate arguments.

On the field, I certainly wish all possible disadvantages on my enemies/opponents, but in the interest of the community here I'm just letting you in on the secret that it's a bad idea.

MikyVengeance said:
lol when I walked into the ready station.

everybody, I mean every single person came up to me and said how amazing my gun looked and how they praise me for making it look so sweet.

People took pictures and videos of it and were just so excited for it :p

especially the counter.

I just wish I had more money for molding and casting to make the gun more stronger.

I'm sure it does look sweet. But would it have looked any less sweet if there wasn't a paintgun inside? No. Did you perform better actually playing paintball because of it? No. Were you disadvantaged, even slightly, by the added size and weight. Certainly.

Awesomeness said:
I'm sure it does look sweet. But would it have looked any less sweet if there wasn't a paintgun inside? No. Did you perform better actually playing paintball because of it? No. Were you disadvantaged, even slightly, by the added size and weight. Certainly.

Its for "Fun" not to have an advantage.

I personally wont play paintball unless my marker is customized.

I'm there to play scenario paintball. So I want my marker to somewhat have the look of it and the feel with the way I'm holding it. exanple tippman X7 into an M4A1

I don't want to be a soldier. I'll leave that to the brave people out there fighting wars.

I want to have fun. Bottom line. I am maximizing my fun this way not advantage. So are people here with their intentions.

You folks want my Opinion...

Paintball is for people that like to pretend to shoot each other.

Costuming is for people who want to pretend to be someone their not.

If you feel the need to express an opinion, express it such a manner as that is what you prefer, not thats what everyone should prefer.

well the paintball part made the whole thing awesome.

if it were just a hollow model, it would be cool but not as uber as a working one.

the weight was barely changed because the gun itself was 10 pounds lol

it didn't feel any bigger or anything bad.

except the gun's internal's broke D: so I wasn't able to actually shoot it lol

some part of the air internals broke and my friend said just get a new gun for it.

so

when I get enough money for molding and casting and a new gun, I will for sure make a new one because it was so awesome to have something like that.

I'm not a player who runs forever and stuff, I'm more of a outdoors person and stays in a concealed position and sometimes just lays cover fire :)

Awesomeness said:
It is, but none of it is being used in any physically competitive situation. I haven't seen any posts of anyone trying to run a marathon wearing some Mk VI, or swim with their helmet on,... My point was that intentionally hindering yourself when you're playing a competitive game is poor decision making. Maybe they just don't care about winning. Maybe they suck enough that they had no hope of winning anyways, and being novel is their way of coping. Maybe kids are just foolish, and need to screw things up to learn. All probably legitimate arguments.

On the field, I certainly wish all possible disadvantages on my enemies/opponents, but in the interest of the community here I'm just letting you in on the secret that it's a bad idea.

It doesn't matter what it is used for, really. People put value in different things, even when playing paintball. You are throwing around degrading words like "irrational" and "ridiculous". If Random Joe prefers having a cool paint ball gun over having the most efficient paint ball gun, I don't see why you should have the right to judge him and his decisions. Telling people that it is dangerous to use home made armour or weapons and that it might impede your movent is something I whole heartedly support, but anything beyond that is highly subjective.

Edit: had the window open for quite a long time, so I seem to have replied to a post that has been deleted. If mods wanna delete my post as well that's fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back