Halo Reach Commando Helmet Build (Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Magic Sculpt compare to Apoxie Sculpt??

^^^ agreed, I'm very curious, the elite tooth looked incredible, and loving the little addition to the forehead of the visor, interested in what else you're planning on adding

also, is this the same material you made those enlarged chin part of your recon, either way, it looks very very well done

How does Magic Sculpt compare to Apoxie Sculpt??

^^^ agreed, I'm very curious, the elite tooth looked incredible, and loving the little addition to the forehead of the visor, interested in what else you're planning on adding

also, is this the same material you made those enlarged chin part of your recon, either way, it looks very very well done

Thanks guys! I believe apoxie sculpt & magic sculpt are very similar. However, the workable sculpt time is slightly different. I believe apoxie sculpt has a 2-3 hour work time & I know that magic sculpt has a 45min to 1hour work time (Work time = length of time you have to sculpt before it starts to get hard). I chose magic sculpt, because It was the cheaper of the two. I believe both products cure over night or about 8 to 10hrs (You will want to check this out to make sure).

@Pipinacan, I made the chin pieces out of mighty putty (I will be using magic sculpt for now though). Mighty putty has a 2 to 5min work time. And the only issue I have had is properly mixing up the resin & epoxy. It comes in a stick, but it seems like the older the batch, the more difficult it is to get the hardener & resin to mix thuroughly. Also, the elite tooth is real easy to make. All you need is a little bit of Magic sculpt and a corn cob holder (the kind you use to hold corn = it stabs into the core and looks like a little mini piece of corn). First roll into the shape of a spike, then curve it slightly use the point corn cob holder to make an indent of the fatter end of your curved spike, then roll the corn cob holder around the end with the hole in it. If you did it right, it should look like a tooth with broken off root. It would be cool if more people made them on the 405th and kept them on a key chain to rep the 405th. Lol!!
Keep building guys!

Heres a few more pics of my current progress. I still need to tighten up and rework some lines in the chin area to get everything symetrical, it currently looks like the chin is warped towards the left, so I will be reworking the chin & vent area in order to get it symetrical.

Top Detail (This will be reworked - i got some real good screen shots - Thanks RUZE!)
IMG_20110311_074338.jpg

IMG_20110311_074352.jpg

IMG_20110311_074423.jpg

Dremeled recessed detail to the top (From the live action reach trailer a spartan is born)

IMG_20110311_074455.jpg

IMG_20110311_074535.jpg

IMG_20110311_074551.jpg

P.S. I'm trying to get this beast ready for molding by the 28th!!

Great job on the visor seal!

I feel you are at the same spot as I am with my sculpting of the reach trooper helmet, not quite how good the smoothing is with all the mixing colors of materials. Get a layer of primer on that and anything you feel needs to be touched up will be more apparent. Keep up the great work, your biggest critic will always be you!

looks great, can't wait to see it finished. i just ordered some magic sculpt today, once it gets here i can finally fix the ear part of my helmet. BTW an elite tooth keychain mabey with 405th carved into it is a great idea, im definatelly going to make one or two.

James.

Great job on the visor seal!

I feel you are at the same spot as I am with my sculpting of the reach trooper helmet, not quite how good the smoothing is with all the mixing colors of materials. Get a layer of primer on that and anything you feel needs to be touched up will be more apparent. Keep up the great work, your biggest critic will always be you!

Thanks man, Yeah your right about slaping some primer down & the biggest critic comment. I did a some rework on the chin and it looks ten times better. My problem was I wasn’t paying attention to my center line enough when I sculpted the chin. Also, I got a slight warp in the initial model when I hardened it. I’m pretty sure I fixed it, I’ll need to sleep on it and look at it with fresh eyes. BTW, did you ever finish your Emile build? That bad boy was looking great.

looks great, can't wait to see it finished. i just ordered some magic sculpt today, once it gets here i can finally fix the ear part of my helmet. BTW an elite tooth keychain mabey with 405th carved into it is a great idea, im definatelly going to make one or two.

James.

Yeah man, they aren’t to hard to make too. Maybe I should do a tut or something with pictures. Anyways, thanks for the comments. Oh yeah, you are going to like the magic sculpt. Glad you got it.

P.S. your bondo work on the JFO looks fantastic!

Looks Great man!! Love the detail!!. One Question..did Ruze send you the screen grabs of the helmet or are they somewhere on the site or net?

Looks Great man!! Love the detail!!. One Question..did Ruze send you the screen grabs of the helmet or are they somewhere on the site or net?

Thanks man. Yeah, RUZE sent me some real good HD screen shots. So, now I am re-working some of the detail and adding more. Thanks again for the comments. I appreciate it.

No offense, but that would look ugly. I want it to look clean and sit properly on the helm.

well I do agree with you no duct tape, BUT you could etch in some grooves or drill slanted SMALL holes in it and place that kind of wire that is in pipe cleaners, cover them with that magic sculpt, the drill small holes in the helmet, wire them through, twist them together and down and more magic sculpt, then it'd be like a hardened twisty tie method! plus you'll be able to secure it as close as you want without seeming like it's part of the helmet, but rather an attachment! just a thought

Quick update. So I tweaked some things and primered it. I still have much to do in order to get it right. Let me know what you think. Thanks 405th!

Front

IMG_20110312_191245.jpg

IMG_20110312_191614.jpg

Close up

IMG_20110312_191623.jpg

IMG_20110312_192001.jpg

IMG_20110312_191214.jpg

I need to tighten up the detail at the top of this pic (I have it backwards - Should be skinnier towards the front and fatter at the back) What I get from going on memory.

IMG_20110312_191526.jpg

IMG_20110312_191452.jpg

Rondoed the inside a little more for recessed detail

IMG_20110312_172832-Copy.jpg

IMG_20110312_172814.jpg

Thanks for viewing my build!

you should use duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Somehow, I don't think that would hold up to military inspection... :p "Spartan, WHY is your comm unit attached with DUCT TAPE?!?!?!"

looking awesome! could use a wee bit more sanding in areas, but it looks awesome as is!

Somehow, I don't think that would hold up to military inspection... :p "Spartan, WHY is your comm unit attached with DUCT TAPE?!?!?!"

looking awesome! could use a wee bit more sanding in areas, but it looks awesome as is!

Yeah, your right. at least the primer helps me see the issue areas. I need to get into the details with a needle file to clean the edges up too. Also, Any ideas on how to fix the warp in the chin? its bugging the hell out of me. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

@ Noble1, Thanks man, the JFO is coming along too.

Well, I think this is it for me for this weekend. I need to go for a walk with the kids or something, maybe the park. I know it doesn’t look like I did much from the last update except spray dark primer on the front. But, I did mess around with the detail some, used glazing all around in various spots, and dremeled some additional recessed detail in the cheeks (unfinished, still rough). I sprayed the dark primer on it to see if any lines looked weird (plus it should help me find any nasty spots that need sanding. This is going to take me a little longer than expected. But I believe it will be worth it. I still have a ton of finishing and detailing to do, but here are some more pics. I’m still hopeful I can get this ready for molding by the 28th.

IMG_20110313_135252.jpg

IMG_20110313_135219.jpg

IMG_20110313_135226.jpg

IMG_20110313_135313.jpg

IMG_20110313_135335.jpg

IMG_20110313_135341.jpg

IMG_20110313_135306.jpg

IMG_20110313_135405.jpg

IMG_20110313_135500.jpg

Thanks for viewing my build!

Still looking good. Some times you need a little time away from this stuff. Take a walk with the kids, and then next weekend, or the next hit that thing again. Can't wait till it's painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back