Halo Reach EOD Helmet build. pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodshiplolypop

hey friends

so after a multiple year hiatus i have come back to grace you with my presence once more, your welcome. just kidding. So why did i come back ? well back in 2011 I decided to make my first Halo helmet; The Halo reach EOD helmet. Arguably the best looking helmet. It had daring lines, extreme angles, and intense sex appeal. after all, if you cant slay the covenant slay the ladies. just as evil and even more devastating to the check book. I was young and enthusiastic at the time, eager to build my helmet. I had dreams of a guest appearance on Attack of the Show with Olivia Munn (who never should have left). Why yes Olivia you can wear my helmet. I made my pepakura halo helmet as fast as i could. Then i added the fiber glass annnnnnnd it came out looking terrible. Everything was wonky and completely out of alignment. Like all children of my generation, i had been on web MD and found out i had OCD and that really made the process difficult, not mention ALL the cancer. There is no such thing as a perfectly symmetrical hand made object, but that didn't stop me from trying. I invested a ton of time into the helmet and eventually i got the back and sides looking good, but the front was a night mare. All those sexy lines and angles i had mentioned before were now killing me. Needless to say I stomped the brakes on this project and threw it out the windshield as if it were Paul Walker's and Princess Diana's illegitimate love child. I rage quit that puppy and thus the helmet went on a shelf. My original thread was deleted due to a lack of activity and everything was forgotten. Years past and my life took some interesting turns. Last week I picked up my helmet once more and realized it had become a physical representation of my life. An inability to commit, no desire to finish projects, a general waste of space, something you would want to sleep with. This time, it was personal.
20180127_185517_HDR.jpg

20180125_195812_HDR.jpg

Take two on the project and do you see that there to the right? yeah buddy, Its a dremel. Up to this point the entire project was done by hand which is part of the reason why it was so difficult. down side is i don't get to work out my forearms as much, good news is that with normal sized forearms people don't think i touch myself all the time.
20180127_181459_HDR-1.jpg

See that there at the top? that's beer my friend. because you cant get frustrated if you cant feel your face. and then there is my good friend bondo. god forbid i ever drop this helmet.
20180127_185456_HDR.jpg
20180127_185532_HDR.jpg

Before i had given up on the helmet i added this patch of carbon fiber to the top. I drilled out the flat faces and replaced them with wire mesh as if it were a vent. It turned out pretty stylish and it looks good. im going to have to add another layer at some point but its a good bit of inspiration for now.
20180127_185549_HDR.jpg
Here is a good three quarter view
20180125_195846_HDR.jpg

20180125_195937_HDR.jpg

An up close image of the enemy. what makes this helmet so hard is the shear amount of lines and different faces to deal with. they are all super close together and not power tool friendly and then you have to make them all symmetrical.
Ill try to post semi regularly and let you all know how i tackle this project.

20180125_195812_HDR.jpg

20180125_195846_HDR.jpg

20180125_195937_HDR.jpg

20180127_181459_HDR-1.jpg

20180127_185456_HDR.jpg

20180127_185505_HDR.jpg

20180127_185517_HDR.jpg

20180127_185532_HDR.jpg

20180127_185549_HDR.jpg

20180127_185505_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So I put some more time into the helmet and then for giggles i compared it to the helmet in the game. Now if you look closely you will notice something very subtle. Both helmets are completely and totally different in the "nose" area. why did no one ever point this out? who made this pepakura file? Am i retarded? some questions may never be answered.
20180128_133945_HDR1.jpg

Could EVEN more bondo hurt? at this point if bondo were a disease my helmet would be terminal. So more bondo was applied and i must say im getting quite good at using this stuff.
20180129_191254_HDR.jpg

Now things are starting to actually look familiar but still pretty jacked. Ive seen other helmets on here after the bondo and finishing stage and they look like a krispy kreme doughnut dipped in a vat of icing. It makes me rather envious and extremely hungry (i have a problem). Hopefully things aren't too far gone as i would very much like to not start over. right now it looks like a pink, grey, and white mess but ill add another layer of primer here soon and it will look a good bit better.

Last edited:
Oh man. I just have to say, love the write up. I plan on making a 3d printable model of this helmet in the near future (doing way too many other models in the meantime).

Your helmet is looking pretty good thus far; how long would you suppose you've spent on it?

goodshiplolypop A fair amount of the language in your posts is coming very close to violating the Terms of Service. I would request you tone down the swearing and more . . . colorful descriptions in your posts and try to keep it PG, These Forums are "Family Friendly," and Keep It Clean.

As the resident self proclaimed EOD guru I applaud your efforts to keep at it and as Cadet pointed out keep it PG-13 at least. Love the Carbon Fiber addition. The rebreathers are getting there for sure. My Pepped version was missing some details which i later added also. CollinMcCaf I currently offer this lid in two sizes with the optional rebreathers on or off as in Halo:Reach, rubber neck seal, magnets and decals. I am so happy this helmet came back to Halo 5 in the Classics Helmet pack! The first pic is my Fiberglassed Pep EOD. The second is of the kit i now offer. This was modeled by nintendstroid / Dutch Props.

12059232_10100203679706761_1834381461_o.jpg

IMG_5377.JPG

oh and goodshiplolypop when you get it into primer hit me up and i will send you a set of these decals for all your hard work!

Oh man. I just have to say, love the write up. I plan on making a 3d printable model of this helmet in the near future (doing way too many other models in the meantime).

Your helmet is looking pretty good thus far; how long would you suppose you've spent on it?

thank you. for some reason people respond to your insane rants better on the internet than they do in the mall food court ( or the airport security line especially). I try to make things worth reading. as for the time, that's super hard to say actually. I started working on it in 2011 and I was putting in several hours a day into it. then there was a long lull in which I would work on it on and off again. all in all id say a continuous 19ish hours maybe. its hard to say as everything was spread out so much. and I also invested a ton of time just trying to straiten everything out. I made the biggest rookie mistakes possible when I started which really put me at a disadvantage. I'm older now and I've learned like three or four things since then so hopefully round two goes better.

goodshiplolypop A fair amount of the language in your posts is coming very close to violating the Terms of Service. I would request you tone down the swearing and more . . . colorful descriptions in your posts and try to keep it PG, These Forums are "Family Friendly," and Keep It Clean.
I do apologize. I will remove the cursing and ill work on the jokes. clean jokes are hard but I think I can make it happen. if you need me to remove things let me know.

As the resident self proclaimed EOD guru I applaud your efforts to keep at it and as Cadet pointed out keep it PG-13 at least. Love the Carbon Fiber addition. The rebreathers are getting there for sure. My Pepped version was missing some details which i later added also. CollinMcCaf I currently offer this lid in two sizes with the optional rebreathers on or off as in Halo:Reach, rubber neck seal, magnets and decals. I am so happy this helmet came back to Halo 5 in the Classics Helmet pack! The first pic is my Fiberglassed Pep EOD. The second is of the kit i now offer. This was modeled by nintendstroid / Dutch Props.
oh and @goodshiplolypop when you get it into primer hit me up and i will send you a set of these decals for all your hard work!

Thank you for the support! seriously. I have seen you all over the internet. Some may say you have even inspired me to pick this back up. I saw your helmet kit online a while ago and I remember looking at it and thinking I could just buy it and throw mine away. But you know, integrity or whatever. But I seriously have a mad amount of respect for you and your compliment means a lot. Thank you so much for offering the decals. I was just about to try and figure out how to cross that bridge. guess I can put the crayons away.

Thank you for the compliments. I was also inspired on this forum when I first came to it by Hyperballistik who I now call friend! My first helmet which is my EOD which the first was pepped as well took me almost two years to finally finish. it too sat around for a length of time before I gathered the courage to finish it. The end result was far better than i could have imagined. PM me your shipping info. I mean you can still use crayons if you want but....

So somehow i got pulled away from the project yet again. this time its because my fiancee "talked" me into remodeling the bathroom. She said she wanted to "do something fun" and so far i've been the one having all the "fun". Well enough of that. I did some digging on my computer and found old pics from when the project started. notice how terribly everything started out.
426291_318660198185313_1060799312_n.jpg

looking at this, you figure a normal person would have said "i should straighten this out first" not me.
424339_328523623865637_1319468053_n.jpg

after all, the covenant could invade earth at any second. i had to be ready, but at the cost of being the durpiest looking spartan.
544666_363187447065921_1490041370_n.jpg

its just a slow motion train wreck really. but look at me now. I'm doing somewhat better and some of you actually seem to like my helmet.

if you're having troubles just remember to always shoot for the moon. and if you miss, you're body will float through space for an eternity as a monument to all of your failures. wait a minute, that wasn't very inspirational. just remember to take your time.

Well...actually having my own helmet issues in the past.....this was very inspirational. Good job.

Keep it up! Looking good, I have always been a fan of the EOD helmet. I'm thinking of getting one some day

I am also working on gathering the requireds for an EOD build. Reach has been out for far too long for me to have built NOTHING from it. I'm starting with some of the weaponry (sniper rifle) but eventually I'll be taking on this. The armor just seems so much more intimidating than the rest of the universe.

Keep up the amazing work. Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Somehow i got pulled away from the project for almost a year. AGAIN. But my hand crafted half bath is just fabulous now in case you were wondering. Its looking more and more like I'm about to officially finish this helmet just in time for Halo Reach to become completely forgotten by the majority of the world. I cant wait to get questions like "sick motor cycle helmet Bro, where did you get it?". Because I'm totally not going to use it as a motorcycle helmet as that would be very irresponsible. Either way here i am back at it, disturbing the peace on your quaint little forum.
So lets talk about this prepakura file I've been using. it must be retribution for all the terrible things I've said and done in my life but at this time I'm pretty sure i would have rather of taken on the disabled child i was accruing points for. There are bumps where there should be lumps and and divots where there should be crevasses. I've seen the work asgardianhammer has done as well as so many others and its obvious that there are substantial differences between my EOD Helmet and all of theirs. I'm a bit beyond lying to myself so im not about to start spouting off the "my helmet is unique and special" nonsense because that's not what i want. I want to be just like everyone else and have no individuality what so ever. because that's cool. So at this time I've taken on the same general outlook on life as Ivan Drago, "if he dies he dies". up to this point I've been a bit afraid of doing any serious alterations to the helmet, but screw it. I busted out the chisel an I've just started going at it. And what do you know. its better now. I could never put my finger on the differences before but now that I've figured it out i think I'm going to be on the fast track for success. I need to get the chin more symmetrical, extend the neck line down, and make the eye hole prettier. After doing some work i went ahead and threw a splash of primer on the helmet to see where things are and it is really coming along. just a few more weeks and I'll be riding my bik... i mean sitting on my couch in full costume for the love of the game and making people think "what kind of power ranger is that?"

Attachments

• helmet 1.jpg
    helmet 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 351
  • helmet 2.jpg
    helmet 2.jpg
    918.2 KB · Views: 359
  • helmet 3.jpg
    helmet 3.jpg
    858.2 KB · Views: 417
  • helmet 4.jpg
    helmet 4.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 399
I think so, too. It looks like there's a tiny hole in the chin, that shouldn't be hard to fill in. A little bit (read TON, because there is no such thing as a little bit) of sanding to smooth things out, and I think you're golden. I'm just not seeing any horrific defects in the helmet.

Hey and for the record, I myself took a 6 year hiatus, so don't consider yourself outsider, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back