HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niki, once I get started with everything after reading all of these... you might be the one that saves my sanity. Thanks in advance.

So I have a question. If the height for my head is roughly around 8.75in, what would a good scale factor for Pepakura be? (Considering it contains enough space for the padding and a fan.)

Niki can you help me determine which direction is height or width on this file, since it loads like this?

image of halo chest armor.jpg

After reading through all the posts(and it being late at night) I did have a question, is there a specific way to measure the Reach style armor, or can the Mark 6 style scaling the same all round?

Thanks.

Well done Goddess! This makes things easy. I figured there would have to be some scaling done, but this has created a question.

After I did my scaling and printed out the first page of my helmet, everything looks extremely small compared to what it looked like when I initially printed without scaling. I've probably got a small head compared to others (7.5-8 inches, I entered 220mm into the Height box for good measure), so that could be another reason why it seems off. The helmet blueprint initially calls for 310mm (a 12 inch head!) so yea, I can also see where the change would be a little drastic as that's almost half of a helmet gone.

Once I put it all together, will the helmet actually come out looking right? Or did I shrink the scale down too much?

After I did my scaling and printed out the first page of my helmet, everything looks extremely small compared to what it looked like when I initially printed without scaling. I've probably got a small head compared to others (7.5-8 inches, I entered 220mm into the Height box for good measure), so that could be another reason why it seems off. The helmet blueprint initially calls for 310mm (a 12 inch head!) so yea, I can also see where the change would be a little drastic as that's almost half of a helmet gone.

Once I put it all together, will the helmet actually come out looking right? Or did I shrink the scale down too much?

Yeah, that helmet is going to be a tad too small. If your head is roughly 200 mm tall, I would have added 20 more mm to your currently scaled 220 mm helmet to make it 240 mm tall.

For example, my head is roughly 230 mm tall. I scaled a Mark VI Helmet to 260 mm (a 30 mm increase). After all the rondo and fiberglass matte, my helmet is an almost perfect fit for my head (almost too perfect). Unfortunately, I don't have much space to work with. If I were to go back, I would have scaled my helmet 40 mm taller rather than 30 mm taller. I prefer my helmets to be somewhat proportional to the rest of my armor. I don't like the big buckets :p

Yeah, that helmet is going to be a tad too small. If your head is roughly 200 mm tall, I would have added 20 more mm to your currently scaled 220 mm helmet to make it 240 mm tall.

For example, my head is roughly 230 mm tall. I scaled a Mark VI Helmet to 260 mm (a 30 mm increase). After all the rondo and fiberglass matte, my helmet is an almost perfect fit for my head (almost too perfect). Unfortunately, I don't have much space to work with. If I were to go back, I would have scaled my helmet 40 mm taller rather than 30 mm taller. I prefer my helmets to be somewhat proportional to the rest of my armor. I don't like the big buckets :p

Well, now that I know I've screwed up and have to start over [dammit], I might as well as the same question about the other pieces; what kind of buffer should be put on the various parts of a piece of armor to make sure they fit? With 40mm being the buffer for the helm, what about the chest, arms, waist, and thighs? Is the 40mm a universal thing to apply to all of the various pieces, or will that buffer-number change depending on said piece? I've got a feeling that scaling it all with one number probably won't leave me with the perfect result every time because the pieces will all be various sizes. I planned to add ten-thirty extra millimeters anyways depending on the part though to save money and time, but I think asking first would be best. XD

Recall back to Halogoddess's tip.

A LITTLE POINTER: Going back to image I posted for the measurement diagram, I have it as so:
1. Head - height
2. Waist - width
3. Forearm - height
4. Shoulder - height
5. Thigh - height
6. Shin - height
7. Boot - depth
8. Chest - width
9. Handplate - height

Now as I mentioned earlier, just because that is what you measure for, it does NOT mean you will place your measurement in that box in pepakura. It all depends on how the model is set by default when you load it in pepakura!
Yes, you are correct; do not use the 40mm as a buffer for all pieces. I only use that specific buffer for the Mark VI helmet specifically. Some of the pieces of armor will need a small buffer and some will not require a buffer at all. I would look over how Halogoddess scales each piece again to familiarize yourself. I can't really go into specifics how to scale each piece. Each person is sized differently. It's also hard to get the scale right the first time. Most of it is all trial and error unfortunately.

As Halogoddess says,
I HIGHLY recommend that you use reference images and study just how the armor pieces are supposed to look when worn. If you happen to own one of the 12" McFarlane figures, that will work good too. It's good to study the armor and see how everything lines up on the body so you can make sure that you get everything to look right. :)

This is how I scaled all of my pieces. Please note this is not perfect for everyone. I also used the same scaling method Halogoddess has shown here. Some of the original measurements were actual measurements of my body and some were adjusted. It will be up to you to find what fits well on your body.

Head: +40mm buffer
Chest: +10-15mm buffer
Triceps: no buffer
Forearms/Biceps: no buffer
Hand: no buffer
Waist: no buffer
Thigh: no buffer
Shin: no buffer
Boot: no buffer

Again, please do not take this as face value. I followed her tutorial exactly and most of my pieces came out fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm going to have to tread lightly for this stuff and hope I don't screw up on the scaling more than I thought. I did up the helmet size to 240mm instead of 220mm and it looks a bit more realistic as I piece it together so hopefully it comes out better. I'm going to keep a note of the little buffers above and I thank you for them, Frozen. I'll take a look over Goddess's tutorial a few more times as I go along too.

One small step for this idiot and I'm in the right direction this time!

This tutorial is fantastic and the explanations are quite clear. Thank you! Now... over the years has any other... er... decently endowed girl made the Mark VI chest? I will be making a foam set and I'm wondering if there was a need to add some additional ease to accommodate the chest. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you soooooo much on your post you've really helped me get a good launch on my halo armor build. This has saved me from many mistakes.

could i also measure from shoulder to shoulder for chest piece? But thank you for the diagram it helped me out, especially because im going for the mark vi armor.

Hello goddess, i had a problem with the waist Codpiece, i put 533mm, 21in. for the pepakura in the width area, but i noticed its pretty dang big haha. i know this wont fit me

Hello goddess, i had a problem with the waist Codpiece, i put 533mm, 21in. for the pepakura in the width area, but i noticed its pretty dang big haha. i know this wont fit me

That could be the heighth, some of the dimensions are not actually in the direction you think they are. It's just a matter of how the files were created. So try your number in a different dim and see if the size changes to what you need. :)

That could be the heighth, some of the dimensions are not actually in the direction you think they are. It's just a matter of how the files were created. So try your number in a different dim and see if the size changes to what you need. :)
thank you, i did find out what i did wrong and thanks for the input. i accidentally gave myself more inches on waist haha

thank you, i did find out what i did wrong and thanks for the input. i accidentally gave myself more inches on waist haha

haha it happens, but always make sure to add at least an inch or two to your measurements to account for some shrinkage in resin application and for adding padding to the inside. You don't want that fiber glass and bondo riding right against your body.

Re: HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial *REVISED*

Thank you so much for this!!! I am using this for when I start my first suit soon! Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back