have a makerbot replicator what should I make? need anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmodder

Jr Member
Hello I have had a makerbot replicator now for about 3 months and so far have only made a fue things like a arkham asylum batarang and ebony from devil may cry. Anyone think of anything they would like? I will make it if you got the 3d model..or unlocked pep file lol. was thinking of making a small business making stuff for people so let's see how well this goes lol. It makes stuff about the size of a loaf of bread but I can make larger items If I make them in parts and combine them after with glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Woah.

That's awesome that you have something like that! It'll certainly be the fastest way I can imagine of making just about anything.

Anyway, I'd recommend mass-producing Halo weapons. You could make a lot of money very efficiently by selling pre-made weapons in large numbers; based on the description there, you should be able to make an M6D out of two pieces, or an SMG out of three. I see a great business opportunity here. And even if you don't want to sell these things, you could certainly make them for all your friends and go to the next con with a fully-outfitted platoon of Marines!

...Woah.

That's awesome that you have something like that! It'll certainly be the fastest way I can imagine of making just about anything.

Anyway, I'd recommend mass-producing Halo weapons. You could make a lot of money very efficiently by selling pre-made weapons in large numbers; based on the description there, you should be able to make an M6D out of two pieces, or an SMG out of three. I see a great business opportunity here. And even if you don't want to sell these things, you could certainly make them for all your friends and go to the next con with a fully-outfitted platoon of Marines!

The problem here is legality. Microsoft Is very strict on these issues relating to mass production and even sales of any props with creative rights belonging to them. Just be careful.

In legal terms, the issue is more likely to be the notion of making PROFIT out of it. Making profit out of someone else's copyrighted work could be troublesome...My advice would be doing this on a request basis, privately between you and whomever may be interested. (However, don't take my word for it, I may be a law student, I'm not yet familiar with copyright laws, much less those of the united states)

It's a shame that it has such a potential for legal troubles, because having a makerbot replicator to produce halo weapons would be awesome beyond word.

I think your main concern will be making the modeler angry. Nintendude already tried to sell one of my models on Shapeways. Now he was polite about it and took it down as soon as someone noticed but when you make a profit on something someone else gave for free is just taking advantage of their hard work.
I had recently printed one of my models, http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37273-KingRahl-s-Halo-4-M6H-Magnum and it took 6 pieces and about $20 worth of plastic and 18 hours. Now if I wanted to sell them I could calculate amount of plastic used, print time, electricity, and since it was a model I created I could count modeling time in there.
When you get a model, run it through your slicing program and see how much plastic would be used and estimated print time. That might be your best bet to sell rather than making a particular object for sell. (I might be making it sound more complicated than it is)

ummm interesting never really thought of it as selling other peoples work but you have a point. I was just going to charge for the plastic, time and a little extra to put towards paying this thing off lol. I don't want to inadvertently piss any one off I was just looking at it as a faster easer way of making pep files lol because although there rewarding there a pain to build some times when they get to small and detailed witch this machine handles quite nicely. mind you there is still some finishing work to do. I don't have any pics currently but I will post some tomorrow.

I know what you mean. I have 2 Mendels. A Prusa Mendel and a RepRapPro Mendel. I built the Prusa Mendel but bought the RepRapPro from it's creator Adrian Bowyer. The 2 put together cost about as much as the Makerbot and I've been toying with the idea of selling cookie cutters I model. After all, the ABS plastic is dishwasher safe and doesn't contain the bpa everyone is so concerned about.

ok here are some pics please excuse the mess Im moving . I have more parts for ebony from devil may cry done this is just the most impressive part lol
imag0549.jpg
imag0554.jpg
imag0553.jpg

Very cool stuff! The batarang in particular turned out awesome. I can't tell from the picture, but is that a two color extruder on the makerbot? Some have two nozzles and I was curious if you got the two different colors by swapping out spools or it was a two-nozzle model.

Not sure what your background is in it, but investing in modeling software is a very handy thing to do. I've been messing around with autodesk inventor, and have access to a makerbot as well. It's pretty awesome to be able to draw something up and print it out, so if you can find something, you can start designing your own stuff and thus not drawing the ire of another modeler.

I've got a 3D printer too that I have been wanting to print some Halo costume stuff on. Mine is a Hadron ORD Bot though. I am upgrading it soon so I can print up to 17" long items, versus the 8" max I have now. I can post a picture if madmodder is cool with it.

I print with IMPLA, which is Impact Modified PLA. It is a lot like ABS but non-toxic and it is a bit more flexible, which means that stuff will bend a little before just shattering like regular PLA and ABS.

ya go for it lol and ya its a dual extruder. As for my back ground I have 2 courses partly related to this lol in 2009 I received a 3d animation diploma from pixel blue college in Edmonton (Adobe Photoshop CS4, Illustrator CS4, After Effects CS4, Maya 2009) and in 2005 I received a certificate in multimedia and web page design.....although I hate making web pages which is why mine kind of sucks lol...ok really sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm interesting indeed how much would you charge for stuff? if its cheep I may be interested in a possible request if I can find a model

I have finished my first commission and its beautiful ...it has one small defect but it should be easy to repair with a little gob of filler. frankly its one of the best pieces I have ever made on this machine
imag0570.jpg
imag0571.jpg
imag0572.jpg
imag0573.jpg
imag0574.jpg

I usually lightly sand the entire thing with 120grit, then use spot putty to smooth it out. It turned out great though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back