Have A Question? Dont Bother With A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Altair651 said:
Are you allowed to support a topic that you made with another topic?

Uhh, if you have 2 completely different topics, then make 2 posts. But if they are about the same thing, just collaborate them into a single topic. 2 questions CAN be in one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys im new to the whole armor making process and i need some pointers on where to start..... and if you can how can you make the armor stronger and resistant to paintballs ..?

Sgt. Campbell said:
Hey guys im new to the whole armor making process and i need some pointers on where to start..... and if you can how can you make the armor stronger and resistant to paintballs ..?

Resin and fiberglass. I've never done it before, but I know that thats what you will need, and strong motorcycle visors. You will need to get professional tips, and look at ALL the tutorials in the Pepakura forum, you will need several coats of each and some expaning foam probably wouldn't hurt.

Sgt. Campbell said:

The 405th does not support ideas such as those. The costumes we make here are not for Airsoft and paintball. We make these costumes for fun, and to wear for fun at comic cons and halloween. I highly recommend you do not attempt to make paintball or airsoft proof armour. Unless you are making your armour professionally with kevlar, simply do not do it!

That too lol.

Ok, so I have the bottom half of my pep MKVI helmet done, and I want to upload some pics, how exactly do I do that? Cause I dont see anything in the gallery section...

Well, if you can not use the gallery section or you do not want to use it, use an image hosting site such as imageshack or photobucket.

Then, once you upload your pictures, copy and past the IMG code into your post, and post away. When your post comes up, the images will be in there.

Hey guys iv'e been working on my helmet and I find Bondo kind of hard to sand if you ask me. I thought of using Spackling Paste, the white putty you use to fill in the cracks and holes in your wall as it is easier to sand and does not require mixing, just a lot longer to dry up and harden. I do not know why people didn't come up with this before, Its an awesome idea. Tell me what you guys think.

Good morning Q&A Team,

I'm getting slightly ahead of myself since I'm still at the pep stage of my armour but I was wondering if we're allowed to replicate/paint the 405th Logo on armour we make in order to 'represent'? If it's a copyrighted/protected lgoo which you don't want others to use that's fine :)

Cheers.

Dr. KriSpY said:
Hey guys iv'e been working on my helmet and I find Bondo kind of hard to sand if you ask me. I thought of using Spackling Paste, the white putty you use to fill in the cracks and holes in your wall as it is easier to sand and does not require mixing, just a lot longer to dry up and harden. I do not know why people didn't come up with this before, Its an awesome idea. Tell me what you guys think.

lol we have, it's been done several time through-out the forum.

this was done using almost all dap plaster patcher

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHh0NgCqpGM&feature=related[/media]

Hey guys, I need some help here. I'm currently pepping a helmet, the file name is "H3 Spartan HD Helmet DF4L", and I think I'm too stupid to understand it.

I first did a small section of the top like this:

Helmet section V1

But this was actually correct, everything fit on without a problem. I was quite certain it's meant to be pepped like that, as I have made a few miniature figurines in the past this way. Unfortunately it warped. I used a different glue, then when I saw a few 405th member's peps, they had all the numbers visible on the outside. Hence...

Helmet section V2

UHU glue win!

Then I matched another part to it and I realized while this piece I'm showing you is correct, the other piece will go on reversed; white side out instead of number side out.

Oh, the confusion.

Later, I cut out the side of the helmet and referenced it to the pepakura model. The piece I'm holding up is the left side piece. The program confirms this.

Cut-out vs. Program

But when folded...

Folded left side

It's reversed. It becomes the right side piece, white side out.

Dun dunnnnn, evil pepakura magic.

Oh, the confusion.

I'm sure if eventually, when everything is reversed it will be correct anyway, but my problem is that on some pieces the tabs will show on the outside. I'm very sure I did something wrong! Slathering a lot of Bondo and then sanding it all off for these mistakes doesn't make sense anyway, I'd rather waste paper and glue than Bondo.

Ahhh, I see. I'm doing the exact same helmet, the exact one. For the right side piece you folded it reversed, you need to have the numbers visible on the outside.

As for the top piece, that is the last piece I need to insert, and I do know for a fact that on the top some of my numbers are messed up, that they don't match up, so don't worry. I started with the visor and worked from there. Going around to the back and then down to finish the bottom before I started the top.

I will post some pics later for your reference, but I will be gone for a while.

Oh, and this was my "practice" pep, because it is my first one. I used printing paper and elmers glue so as not to "waste" my cardstock. My helmet IS warped in some places, although not horribly, and it still looks like a MK VI helmet.

Hope that helped.

Can anyone shed some light on the impact resistance of the pepakura method? i.e. can any of the armor withstand paintballs and other similar impact sports such as airsoft? and if so would the helmets be rated for impact as well?

Errr, it's not recommended. In other words, don't do it. Unless you mold it and then reinforce it.... but not pepakura.

EDIT:

Ok, I also have a few questions....

1. What is the method for gluing in a visor, do you use hot glue?

2. Should I resin first or fiberglass the inside?

TheFireNinja said:
Hey guys, I need some help here. I'm currently pepping a helmet, the file name is "H3 Spartan HD Helmet DF4L", and I think I'm too stupid to understand it....

You have the mountain and valley folds reversed. mountain ^ Valley V is how a fold is supposed to be. :)

Spartan5511 said:
Errr, it's not recommended. In other words, don't do it. Unless you mold it and then reinforce it.... but not pepakura.

EDIT:

Ok, I also have a few questions....

1. What is the method for gluing in a visor, do you use hot glue?

2. Should I resin first or fiberglass the inside?

People use lots of different methods. Not hot glue, it peels off too easy. Usually a 2 part epoxy works, and that is what is usually used I believe. And you must resin the outside first. If you fiberglass the inside first your beautiful piece will become a warped pile of cardstock. And hopefully you have the supports inside your armor too :)

Spartan5511 said:
Supports.... riiiight.... of course I have those..... would a trash can that the helmet sits on be considered a support? ;)

hehe, umm well are you doing the HD or the regular armor? The HD is what comes with the supports. You may want to put some together with maybe cardboard, or some folded cardstock. They really do help. Although I have seen projects go fine without supports. So if you dont want to build them go ahead, but I always like to be more safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back