Haven Trooper (mgs4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavenGirl

Hey guys ! wasn't too sure if this belonged here, being non-halo, but didn't think it belonged in general discussion either. Im going to be trying my first helmet mold soon and just wanted to see if you guys thought there was anything special I should do since it kinda deviates from any MOLJINIR armor Ive seen. Ive done some molding before but more for..not things im going to be wearing on my head heh..so any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated!
HavenTrooper11.jpg
HavenTrooper7.jpg
HavenTrooper1.jpg

Looks like it would be fairly easy to do as a cardboard scratch build as most of the surfaces of the armor are flat. The helmet screams grunt mod at me and I believe that there is a grunt file on the wiki. And the ears are a big pair of headphones that have been integrated into the helmet. You can find something like that at Goodwill or use some Skullcandies (built in music?). The back of the helmet should be very easy to do as it looks very round. The back of the CQB helmet might do well for it.

The main vinyl suit can be sewn together from 2 types of marine (boat upholstery) vinyl that you can find at JoAnn Fabrics or at another local fabric store.

Most of the harness and bodysuit I have about half way completed. Ive been making costumes for cons for awhile its just the whole mold and casting thing is kinda new to me.Id like the shins and bracers to be done from molding aswell but will see how well the helmet goes first.

(BTW, haven trooper is female. All of them. Just so you know.)
Also, great choice of project.
Good luck,
Fjordman587.
PS: sorry about previous comments (in parentheses), just noticed username.
Tally ho!

I hope they are all female ; ) lol its ok tho, not alot of girls into building armored suits around after all. Thanks for the info so far, guess it does kinda look like a grunt (unfortunately), and I didn't see those leg holsters before Moz so thanks for pointing me to that site :D Good to have input from someone other than myself.

Woo another MGS fan! :D I've been drawing up plans on materials to use for snake's octocamo suit and really looking for something that matches the textures of the suit in game. The haven trooper's body is kind of similar, for the glossy black looking parts you can always use a vinyl or pleather type material, that should give you the right look. Also, as was stated before, all the strapped gear you see them wearing can be bought.

As for the helmet, I'm sure you're familiar with Omi Gibson. From her work, I think it's safe to say that the best way to go about the haven trooper helmet is to scratch-build. I'd recommend maybe using the pilot helmet off the wikia as a base, then from there build up a rough cardboard shape and then sculpt and flesh out the rest of the design and details with clay and/or bondo.

Best of luck with this, I'd love to see this come to life.

Thank you so much for your help ! I was just going to start with clay and start molding but thanks to you guys, guess im looking at cardbord and pepakura first though. Ill be sure to update you guys on my progress ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back