Hayabusa Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhith

Jr Member
Just like to say a hello to everyone since this is my first topic and I believe my third post.
My quickly expanding hobby of papercrafting has led me to reach the full size armor stage and I'm starting with a helmet. The Hayabusa helmet to be precise. Sadly I tried to mess with the scaling and the size of my test build is too small, BUT that is not stopping me, it is giving me a 3D model to work off of and know what the best way to build it would be, which should create an easy build of my final product. After browsing around here for a while I believe I have found what I need to get things moving in the right direction. Please let me know if this is right, what else i may need and similar while I can still return it! ;)

Bondo Body Filler, 1Lb 12OZ - $9.97
Bondo All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin 32OZ - $14.97
Bondo Fiberglass Cloth 9 sq. ft - $6.97
Kilz Spray Primer - $4.48
for a total of $38.94 after tax from Home Depot

And no, the test build helmet is not done, I still have the mouth area to do, should be done shortly.

100_4681.jpg

100_4682.jpg

DONE
100_4683.jpg

100_4684.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start! Keep up the good work and you'll be on your way to nice helmet! :)

Adam294

P.S. It's spelled Hayabusa. ;)

Fixed the title and body with my spelling error, thanks for pointing that out! And believe me, I'm not done. I'm hoping to have a full armor set by metrocon.
Thought of another question, should I do a light body filler over the armor BEFORE fiber glassing because of ridges the pieces make?

Nope, the weight of the bondo would crush the helmet. That's why you 'glass before, to make the helmet nice and sturdy.

Rhith said:
Fixed the title and body with my spelling error, thanks for pointing that out! And believe me, I'm not done. I'm hoping to have a full armor set by metrocon.
Thought of another question, should I do a light body filler over the armor BEFORE fiber glassing because of ridges the pieces make?

heres what u should do do a layer of resin on the outside, then glass the inside, spray primer on the outside resin to show up any imperfections then add the body filler which you then sand down to make smooth (this ilminates the ridges and dips

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for the tips, any other tips would be very helpful, and it seems that the supplies I got are good. Anyone know about how much fiberglass fabric is needed for the different parts?

**EDIT**
Finished my test build :D
Pictures in first post.

to ASM, just for clarification, resin the outside AND the inside before you put the cloth on. It makes it much easier to stick on. Looking good btw

Printing out (hopefully) the proper (default) size! If all goes well it should only take two days to build. Easier the second time around! :D

And I hope to have a full set of armor done for Metrocon in Tampa so if anyone thinks they are going let me know.

Looks like you've got a great start on this one! Plus you have all the correct materials, (so it looks). If you have any question just PM me or any other member in the Q&A Team.
Keep up the good work!

how tall are you because im about 5' 8" and the default scale was right on for me so if your any bigger you might need to scale it up

Great job on the helmet! This one's pretty hard. It looks to be a bit narrow. have you tried fitting it over your head? You might think putting a brace between the sides to hold it 'open' while you resin. Keep it up! You're that much closer to having a complete set of armor!

Balthezar Arith said:
Great job on the helmet! This one's pretty hard. It looks to be a bit narrow. have you tried fitting it over your head? You might think putting a brace between the sides to hold it 'open' while you resin. Keep it up! You're that much closer to having a complete set of armor!

As I said I tried scaling and ended up shrinking thinking it was MC size when it is mortal sized. Working on the default.
And I'm about 5' 10" so hopefully it will go well, if this build doesn't fit me I'll probably just do a +10%.

Rhith said:
As I said I tried scaling and ended up shrinking thinking it was MC size when it is mortal sized. Working on the default.
And I'm about 5' 10" so hopefully it will go well, if this build doesn't fit me I'll probably just do a +10%.
I meant the helmet looked a bit 'squished', like the sides were caving in towards the center. Other than that the size doesnt look bad. But, maybe its a bit small like you said. :) Nice work on the new version.

Balthezar Arith said:
I meant the helmet looked a bit 'squished', like the sides were caving in towards the center. Other than that the size doesnt look bad. But, maybe its a bit small like you said. :) Nice work on the new version.
Yeah it is a bit, bit that was also because of the order I put it together, on the left and right ends of the visor section it is a pain to put it all together properly if you're just adding in the faceplate at that point. And here I am at home, back to work on the helm. If I'm lucky I'll have the pep done before work tomorrow night.

Nice comparison there!
But sadly I got the bottom section of the helmet done and it's too small at default size. :(
I can fit it over my head by flexing it all about but it would never work when solid. I may complete it later and give it to a friend with a smaller head some time. But for now I'm just going to try for +10% and hope I have enough cardstock sitting around since walmart was out of it when I went tonight.

Photo91.jpg

*EDIT*
Urk, seems that a lot of the parts don't fit on single pages when sized up. Hopefully I can find some card stock tomorrow. :/

Rhith said:
SUPER ELF, nice work there man.......sizing is hard to great right the first time....scale up by height, just see how much u need around your neck and the change the height accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back