HAZOP Helmet Sculpted in Clay. WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, threw this together over the weekend, couple more hours, some smoothing and a bit more work (especially up top) and she'll be ready to mould. :).

100_8537.jpg

100_8538.jpg

100_8539.jpg

100_8540.jpg

I've given up on the idea of Pepakura. The effort and time, required just to add in a small detail with bondo is the most pointless exercise ever. So, I have resorted to clay, and am gradually getting better at it (I think so anyway). The only real problem is proportions. But I think I've managed to work out those kinks to a degree. Time and practice I guess. I'd encourage anyone having a hard time with Pepakura to get a hold of some clay tools, and some NSP clay and have a crack at it! You'll not regret it!

On another note what you guys think of the helmet? :). Is it just me or does the back of the helmet always look the worst/strangest?

Cheers, Dave.

looking great man! im still hesitant to start a sculpt from scratch, id rather do a low def pep first then pour it in for a base because i really dont think i could get it symmetrical :p youre getting pretty fast at sculpting dude :O what hardness of chavant do you use? must be medium or soft right?

Thanks man.

Yeah, I'm going to have to have a try at this crossbread of pep and clay at some point. Sculpting from scratch ain't bad at all. Just takes a while to get it right, and a lot of tiny little adjustments. :). Yeah, it's medium, I usually put it in the oven to start with, get it nice and soft, so I can play with it easily.. Hahaha. Taken out of context that last sentence would've sounded somewhat strange.

Yeah, it could have been.... :p . With how your last project came out, I'm excited to see how this thing goes. Looking good so far Dave.

-Matt

More detailing....

05052010161.jpg

05052010162.jpg

05052010163.jpg

05052010165.jpg

My beautiful wallpaper is still kicking. ;).

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S, sorry they're all on their side. Photobucket is being difficult.

looks good dude, although the lip at the front is dug in a little too deep, but maybe when you mold it, it will be fixed. keep up the great work mate! cheers!

@MkShane81

Thanks man! Getting there. :).

@SpartanT117

Thanks buddy. I'm not sure if I'll even use the visor I sculpted for it as anything more than a buck for a Vaccuum former. Maybe not even that, Might utilise the dual visor method. Who knows. :). Haha.

Keep it coming guys. :).

Cheers, Dave.

love your clay work! is it just me, or is it just the angle of the pic, but the top part with the port doesn't look straight in the first pic? or is this fixed already? can you post another straight-on photo? if you need help with symmetry, i have LOTS of tips to share! good luck and keep it up!!

@Shadokat

Thankyou sir! Much appreciated, especially coming from an esteemed sculptor such as yourself! :). You were correct, in the first photo's. Initially the angle of the left hand side of the top port came in more than that of the right, and it was angled wrong. Fixed it up in the next picture, but I failed to take any directly front on photo's. :(. These tips, I would be very interested in hearing them. I've attempted the calliper method, which works to a degree. had a crack at taking a photo of one side and then sculpting the other off of that. I've also done the build half and then the other half method, which works alright. I think my main problem is when I made the mannequin, my neck wasn't perfectly square and threw out the whole symmetry of anything that I sculpted on it. Which sucks. But that's life. :). Drawing a line down the centre and basing it off of that , using callipers seems to work rather well.

Cheers!

P.S Love your work too man!

Hey guys! Been really busy lately. I got the helmet finished sculpted and moulded. Just waiting on plastic to come in to cast it up.

Some beautiful pink mould photo's just for you!

100_8643_zpsb6b36bcf.jpg
\

100_8642_zps83290735.jpg

Thanks guys!

Cheers, Dave.

For some reason I can't see the pics... But I saw this on YouTube, and it looks amazing! Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back