Helmet lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

I'm curious to know what kind of lights everyone is putting into their MVI helmets? I'd like to get some that are bright enough but still are accurate.

I guess Ill be checking radio shack...

Most people use LEDs. You'll have to wire them in though. All you really need is a resistor, lead wires, a power source, a solder and solder iron, and... I believe that's it.

Most people use LEDs. You'll have to wire them in though. All you really need is a resistor, lead wires, a power source, a solder and solder iron, and... I believe that's it.

Yea, it's just the issue I'm having is finding something that I feel I would be satisfied with. I'd like to have them bright enough to be functional at night but also be accurate in shape/appearence.

I think Luxeons may do the job. They come at a price though and you have to think about heat dissipation as well, because these things get hot.

Yea, it's just the issue I'm having is finding something that I feel I would be satisfied with. I'd like to have them bright enough to be functional at night but also be accurate in shape/appearence.
LEDs will definitely be bright, but I can are what you mean by the shape. I'll have to figure that out.

I think Luxeons may do the job. They come at a price though and you have to think about heat dissipation as well, because these things get hot.

Yea, I was looking at those. They'd work but I'm afraid of melting the helmet a bit rofl

You could try putting metal around the light to dissipate the heat and reflect the rays.

Thats true. My question is does Radioshack sell them? I'd like to use them, but the only way I've seen would to take them apart from an existing flashlight which average about $25, where the max number of LED luxeons I can get is about 3, then I'd have to spend another $25 or so just for one more LED.

On top of that, I'd still need to find a dome to put over it. That's why I'd like to find a half-spere LED light. Hmm..I just got an idea..

Thats true. My question is does Radioshack sell them? I'd like to use them, but the only way I've seen would to take them apart from an existing flashlight which average about $25, where the max number of LED luxeons I can get is about 3, then I'd have to spend another $25 or so just for one more LED.

On top of that, I'd still need to find a dome to put over it. That's why I'd like to find a half-spere LED light. Hmm..I just got an idea..

I think they produce "accessories" as well, like reflectors and covers and heat sinks and similar stuff. Something like this might work, although it's obviously not black, like the thing MC has on his helmet (is there any reference showing that those really are lights, by the way?).

Also, ripping apart flashlights to get the whole Luxeons-heatsink-optics package is what thorssoli has done for his Mark VIs. Apparently made his life easier. Not sure about what he did with the heat though - that is always going to be a problem, unless you cut down on the brightness.

I think they produce "accessories" as well, like reflectors and covers and heat sinks and similar stuff. Something like this might work, although it's obviously not black, like the thing MC has on his helmet (is there any reference showing that those really are lights, by the way?).

Also, ripping apart flashlights to get the whole Luxeons-heatsink-optics package is what thorssoli has done for his Mark VIs. Apparently made his life easier. Not sure about what he did with the heat though - that is always going to be a problem, unless you cut down on the brightness.

Yes, in Halo 3, it's obvious because during the campaign, you can switch them on and off, and when doing Co-Op, you can see the lights emitting from the helmet's sides. Idk why when off they appear black, but it's a white light

Alright well I just got back from radioshack.
I found a small flashlight thing made by the red cross. It has 4 ultra bright LEDs, just as many as I need! The one thing though that has caught my attention is that one of them is connected to a light sensor, which turns it on in the dark! On top of that, it has a rechargeable battery.

I just tore this thing apart and I'm starting to think what I could do. What I'd like to do now, is see instead of completly making a new power source/wiring for this, to just seperate each individual LED, re-attach them to the board with just longer wires to reach where they need to. I want to also see if there is any possible way to wire ALL 4 LEDs to the light sensor! And on top of that, to make it such that I can remove the entire assembly and recharge the battery when needed!

Will post pics in a few...

go online and look up pre-wired LED's, radioshack sells some pre-wired ones. Obviously they are prewired with a resistor to make it alot easier.
nothing is going to be fantastic for real night use if your just using a 9v battery etc.

Sweet! I got some testing and playing around done. I figured how everything is supposed to go, and it will all work out! I can by the end of the wiring, have the option to have all lights lit continuously, or have it switch to the light sensor mode. All this, while being able to mount it back on it's casing and re-charge the battery on a wall socket!!

I knowbyou already bought.your lights, but if you make another project or something, I found LED holders at Radio Shack. They may come in handy.
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032297

Thanks! I had looked around, but I'm gonna wait a bit to see how I exactly want to install them. I do have the larger correctly shaped domed LEDs that I'm going to be attaching in front of these LEDs, for the appearence and possibly amplification of the lights.

I just finished assembling the electronics, and here's the video of it all in action! BTW, I hate my own voice!

The flashlight is one of these. I took a pic of the insides, but have to figure out why it didn't upload...

31KeH8GD5cL.jpg

lmk what ya'll think!

-TC

31KeH8GD5cL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty cool, I think I'll have to get one.

BTw Your voice is fine, mine not so much:
All I need to do is practice my annunciation but still :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's really cool :)

Although putting this into the most badass weapon system ever gives a completely new meaning to the words "Black out, buddy!" ;-)

Thats true. My question is does Radioshack sell them? I'd like to use them, but the only way I've seen would to take them apart from an existing flashlight which average about $25, where the max number of LED luxeons I can get is about 3, then I'd have to spend another $25 or so just for one more it...
I've looked into Radioshack. You need to do it yourself. The modular lights that they have are not bright enough.'if you have a general store near you you can look for tiny reading lights. The are usually cheap and easy to modify. I've found mine at 99cent store. See my thread below for some photos on how they look like. Worked really well. Lowes also sells LED lights that you look into. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back