Help a noob out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowofJustice

I am working on my first suit and am aiming to be done by the end of summer, 2013. I have printed out my helmet papers already and will begin pepping them soon, I hope. I've been researching many ways to make suits, and I wanted to make a flexible but strong suit. One I can move, run, roll, etc. in without it breaking. Any paint chips, etc., I can fix without a problem. I have decided to pep, fiberglass/resin, rondo, and then foam with wither Foam-it or Smooth-cast. Any suggestions? Also, I posted in the mentor program thread, but I never got a response. I did, however, find someone who has helped me figure out Pepakura, so thanks! If I can get enough help to get on my feet and get working, this will be pretty picture heavy. So, all help is appreciated. I can be contacted through Skype and this website. To get my skype details, I want to talk to you more through PM's on this site. Also, undersuits? Can I simply wear loose clothes?
Thanks in advance!

paper costumes (being re enforced with fiberglass and bond (car body filler) are not the best thing to be rolling around in, it will most likely hurt you, and definitely hurt the costume, I don't even know if foam would withstand that (at least the paint), but it would have a better chance.

In the mentor thread you have to ask a specific question (for a needed mentor) to get hands on advice, being you want to make a traditional pep costume, or foam costume, wiring, but it's not a Q&A thread, there's plenty of those in the stickies.

I hope this answers, or at least gives you some thoughts on your armor material choice.

-Seth

I am working on my first suit and am aiming to be done by the end of summer, 2013. I have printed out my helmet papers already and will begin pepping them soon, I hope. I've been researching many ways to make suits, and I wanted to make a flexible but strong suit. One I can move, run, roll, etc. in without it breaking. Any paint chips, etc., I can fix without a problem. I have decided to pep, fiberglass/resin, rondo, and then foam with wither Foam-it or Smooth-cast. Any suggestions? Also, I posted in the mentor program thread, but I never got a response. I did, however, find someone who has helped me figure out Pepakura, so thanks! If I can get enough help to get on my feet and get working, this will be pretty picture heavy. So, all help is appreciated.
Also, undersuits? Can I simply wear loose clothes?
Thanks in advance!

ok there are a few problems that you face:
1 flexibility over detail(pepakura gives you the ability to have extreme detail but lacks flexibility. foam allows for flexibility but at the expense of detail.) but there is one other possibility you could go for (be warned this process takes a great amount of time.) build a high detail suit with the pepakura model, then mold it and cast using Polyurethane foam rubber (expensive) this will give you suit the high detail and flexibility you might want. but if high detail is not a concern definitely go with foam.

A foam suit built right you can do this
a fiberglass suit properly re-enforeced you could run around in but rolling and falling would not be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back