"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a resin kit yesterday, with Resin and fiberglass, and I have a respirator, but I was reading around the forums and saw people were talking about eye protection. Is it absolutely crucial to have eye protection along with a respirator and gloves when working with Resin? (Not the fiberglass as well, just the liquid resin for coating the outside of a pep)

I'm working without eye protection, but honestly I continue to think that it is stupid and I'll buy some protection soon...

Sometime dangerous drops of resin can be ejected by the brushes, mainly when it gets hard.....sometime some piece of bondo jumps away while you're sanding....it can be dangerous...

Eye protection is particularly important if you're working with fiberglass mat. It has a tendency to flake and float about, and if it gets in your eye you're going to have a really bad day.

If you're careful with fiberglass cloth, or doing just bondo, you don't need to worry too much. But if you want to play it safe, there's nothing wrong with always wearing eye protection!

You also mentioned gloves too, I'd say they're pretty crucial too. I've gotten resin and bondo on my fingers a lot, as I tended not to use them at one point. Trust me, it sucks. It takes up to a week to come off, and I work in a restaurant where I wash my hands hundreds of times daily, yet it still didn't budge.
It's better to be safe than sorry with this stuff!!

I believe in playing it safe, use eye protection as well as resperator and gloves.
I'm coming from a military background where I used to fix weapon systems, among other things. The very minimum I was required to wear was safety glasses (Military BCGs with side-shields), a dust mask (but I got a full particle respirator), and a pair of gorilla gloves (cut-proof gloves).

I'm with Jason-078 and the rest on this. I also come from a military background and I'm a engineer. Chemicals are like machinery and there is a simple rule when working around robotics and machinery.

"Machines have no sympathy, no empathy, and do not care."

Protect yourself any way and every way, you can. It's a cruel world out there. I'd rather look dorky wearing goggles and gloves than cool wearing an eye-patch and carrying around my only source of oxygen.

Hey everyone!! I have a slight problem. So I made a pepakura helmet and instead of using glue or something like that to hold all the pep edges together I used scotch tape. Everywhere I've looked people have said that the use of resin will dissolve the tape and make the pep fall apart. What would happen if I put a layer of like wood glue as a buffer between the paper/tape and the resin? I know most people would say to start over but I'm curious if there is any way to save it.

a PVA coat may work, but I'd suggest starting over. I guarantee any little mistakes you made while pepping your first helmet will be solved in your second attempt :] Look at the bright side and consider your first one as practice for something even better to come.
Try it though, with a PVA coat, and let us know how it goes. We all learn from trying, or from others trying and telling us how it went!

PVA or there is a possibility that you can give it a light coat of primer (well, several light coats) before you resin and glass it. That might help.

Any organic filtering respirator will do the trick. The rule is "if you can smell the resin, you're in trouble"

They usually have two circular or triangular boxes on the cheeks and cover the mouth and nose. A paper dust mask will NOT work.

This is the type that quite a few people (myself included) use...

34911-0400-2ww-m.jpg

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...aint-spray-pesticide-respirator-assembly.html

You don't necessarily have to order it from this particular site, as it's available at many stores, both online and off (including big box stores like Lowe's or Walmart). I just put the link there so you could read up on it a bit.

This is the type that quite a few people (myself included) use...

34911-0400-2ww-m.jpg

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com...aint-spray-pesticide-respirator-assembly.html

You don't necessarily have to order it from this particular site, as it's available at many stores, both online and off (including big box stores like Lowe's or Walmart). I just put the link there so you could read up on it a bit.

I bought this...
What do you think?
http://www.3mshop.it/category/dispo...emimaschera-senza-manutenzione-4255-a2p3.html

What 's the best mask, and the best filter to protect yourself from the resin?

I don't know much about it, but I searched amazon.com with keywords "respirator" and "chemical". From what little I learned while shopping, I wanted to protect myself from chemicals, otherwise I might only be protecting myself from particles/dust (ie while sanding, dremeling). The chemical part protects me from resin fumes and the like. The one I bought was about $30. Not expensive, but it definitely put a small dent in my budget.

so quick question. I known that you should resin and fiberglass larger pieces but what about smaller pieces like shoulders, I'm afraid if I just resin them they will be to weak to wear and will break. how can I make these smaller pieces stronger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back