"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking no overlap, just side by side. If you want to go the extra mile, do a second layer going crosshatch (letter X), but I think that would be overkill. Also, I meant 2cm X 6cm, not meters :)

Hahahaha I know its cm :D you never said m its my bad :D but really man i hope we can be friends youve been a great help
thank you very much
BTW i found some epoxy on the store i got the fiber glass from so i took some pictures for you to tell me if that works or not the same epoxy here is the picture for the epoxy
6d7tIaK.jpg

and here is the hardener
9RdugG9.jpg

Description:
• KEMAPOXY 150 is a two components, solvent free, non pigmented liquid epoxy resin
• It is used as a coating where outstanding chemical resistance and mechanical stresses are major
requirements.
• It can also be mixed with considerable amounts of mineral aggregates to produce,
non-shrink, multi - purpose epoxy mortar with high mechanical and chemical properties.
• It can be used in drinking - water tanks and food stores.
• Complies with ASTM C 881 & ES 1382.

And there is a KEMAPOXY 151
Description:
• KEMAPOXY 151 is a coloured high quality solvent free two components epoxy coating based on
liquid epoxy resin,selected pigments,additives and a formulated amine hardener.
• Complies with ASTM C 881, ANSI - AWWA C 210 , ES 3349, ES 196, ES 1070 and ES 1382.
• Approved from National Organization for potable water and sanitary drainage for potable water and
sanitary projects.

and KEMAPOXY 165 but i think its for steel
DESCRIPTION:

KEMAPOXY 165 adhesive mortar is pre-filled medium viscosity and solvent free, two component product on the basis of modified epoxy resin with an appropriate hardening system.
Complies with ASTM C 881, BS EN 12004, ES 4118.

Well, at least we now know that epoxy does exist in Egypt!

This type of epoxy is meant for cement floors to seal them. This is not the same as what we traditionally use, but I don't see any reason why you could not. It is a 2:1 ratio, so you will be getting A TON of the stuff (looks to be a gallon and a half). I purchased similar SC110 and absolutely love it. If you go this route, you will need to make sure you get your proportions EXACT (I learned this out the hard way with mine). It says the pot time is 30 minutes, which is excellent. Pot life is the term describing your workable time before it sets off and starts to become unworkable. Your cure time is much longer than traditional epoxy, but again, this is not a bad thing. My items usually took around 12 hours to get to the point where I could handle them. In all, I don't see any reason why this would not function as a sealer/hardener for your cardstock prior to applying body filler. One thing to keep in mind though: you may not be able to mix it with the body filler to create "Rondo". I would try it out in a very small batch to see if it works though. If it does, I would imagine that it would take a long time to set, as the pot time and cure times are so drastically different. My only question I would ask the dealer about is "is this product sand-able?". Not that it would be extremely important, and I don't see any reason why it would not be, but it would be worth a few seconds to double check.

Added benefit is that it is crystal clear. As you may have seen in my thread, I use my epoxy for much more than just hardening my pep stuff. You can also tint it easily, but I have not needed to yet (even though I have tint waiting to be used). Out of all the work I have done, I still have about 1/3 gallon left of my 1 gallon purchase.

One question for me though... where in Egypt are you located?

I am in Haram St. Giza, Egypt :)

and im not planing to make rondo i think i will use the epoxy and after it hard enough i will use the car filler and sand it
but you didnt tell me what the one should i use ?
KEMAPOXY 150 or 151 or 165 ? and are you sure it will work ?
and if the resin or epoxy make the helmet hard enough why the use of fiber glass ?
and after i use the epoxy now i will use the fiber glass 2cm lyers from inside right

I am in Haram St. Giza, Egypt :)

and im not planing to make rondo i think i will use the epoxy and after it hard enough i will use the car filler and sand it
but you didnt tell me what the one should i use ?
KEMAPOXY 150 or 151 or 165 ? and are you sure it will work ?
and if the resin or epoxy make the helmet hard enough why the use of fiber glass ?
and after i use the epoxy now i will use the fiber glass 2cm lyers from inside right

Cool! Closest I have come is Cairo, but that was only for a couple of days :) The rest of the time (9 months) was spent in the Sinai on the east side.

The 150 is the best suited for you (151 is a coating for the epoxy, and 165 is an adhesive - thicker and used to basically fill gaps in place of mortar). Unfortunately, I have not personally used it, so I can not guarantee that it will work, but I feel really confident it will. I know that it must be expensive, so I understand it will be a leap of faith on your part (it might help to ask the dealer what they think about how you intend to use it).

The use of fiberglass is to give it structural integrity. By itself, epoxy is very hard, but can be brittle. When it is combined with fiberglass, it is strengthened exponentially.

Since you are using cardboard instead of cardstock, it may behoove you to use the fiberglass on the inside as well (it wouldn't hurt, that's for sure!).

Cool! Closest I have come is Cairo, but that was only for a couple of days :) The rest of the time (9 months) was spent in the Sinai on the east side.

The 150 is the best suited for you (151 is a coating for the epoxy, and 165 is an adhesive - thicker and used to basically fill gaps in place of mortar). Unfortunately, I have not personally used it, so I can not guarantee that it will work, but I feel really confident it will. I know that it must be expensive, so I understand it will be a leap of faith on your part (it might help to ask the dealer what they think about how you intend to use it).

The use of fiberglass is to give it structural integrity. By itself, epoxy is very hard, but can be brittle. When it is combined with fiberglass, it is strengthened exponentially.

Since you are using cardboard instead of cardstock, it may behoove you to use the fiberglass on the inside as well (it wouldn't hurt, that's for sure!).

Thats great :D i hope you will call me when u come again
so its the 150 then i will try it next week and i will try it on the A4 paper with the fiberglass and see how hard it will be

Hi guys, just wondering if I could have an approximate number for how many layers of resin or Rondo I should have on my pepakura. And also with that amount of layers, how many sheets of A4 I would be able to coat. Approximately just so I can work out pricing etc xD
thanks

Ryan-Sam117

Hi guys, just wondering if I could have an approximate number for how many layers of resin or Rondo I should have on my pepakura. And also with that amount of layers, how many sheets of A4 I would be able to coat. Approximately just so I can work out pricing etc xD
thanks

Ryan-Sam117

You should do at least 2 coats of resin on a piece of pep. One on the outside one on the inside. If you dont think its strong enough for the rondo or fiberglass then add a couple of layers. Whatever you think is best. For rondo you could do one layer of that and then fiberglass over that to make it stronger. I dont exactly know what you mean by sheets of A4. But I would guesstimate around 50-80 dollars for everything including: resin,bondo,fiberglass,brushes,gloves,respirator. Hope that helps! And if I was wrong on the pricing please let me know.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if I could get some advice with acquiring some of the right gear for the build I'm working on right now. Basically I had to move back to Melbourne, Australia a while back so I'm trying to figure out what the closest thing to Bondo and Smoothcast would be here as ordering them online would cost a small fortune. It's been a little difficult to track down other Australian hard armor cosplayers in order to figure this out (I'm currently doing a paper pep build and have a few items already coated in resin), but I want to make sure I cross reference a few of the Australian items I've found to make sure everything is suitable:

Bondo replacement candidates:
1. Builder's Bog seems to be quite similar to Bondo, only marketed towards work with timber instead of as a automotive body filler. Video of the product in action
2. Septone Car Filler

Polyurethane Casting Resin:
- This resin seems to be the closest thing to Smooth-Cast 325 that I can find.

I appreciate any help or other suggestions.
Thanks!

Hey man i found the site for the store so you can find all the products that they creat please check it out and give me the most 3 products that will work good for me so i will go to the store tomorrow

http://cmbegypt.com/en/index.php

you will find the products under products tab
iam waiting for your reply thank you :)

I checked out the site and it is really difficult for me to say what you need. I mean, they have intriguing products, but as far as application for what "we do", it is something you kind of have to see in person. With that said, I see possibilities with their insulation foam (for sliced models, particularly weapons), and the epoxy I mentioned earlier.

When I go into a store, I usually am looking for something in specific that they have. Sometimes I have to use some form of alternate because they don't carry exactly what I was looking for, and I just have to put faith in the product (yes, I have purchased stuff that did not work as I wanted it to right then, but I eventually will use it for something else). Also, I keep my eyes open and look at the other products to see what might be able to be used for future projects.

I checked out the site and it is really difficult for me to say what you need. I mean, they have intriguing products, but as far as application for what "we do", it is something you kind of have to see in person. With that said, I see possibilities with their insulation foam (for sliced models, particularly weapons), and the epoxy I mentioned earlier.

When I go into a store, I usually am looking for something in specific that they have. Sometimes I have to use some form of alternate because they don't carry exactly what I was looking for, and I just have to put faith in the product (yes, I have purchased stuff that did not work as I wanted it to right then, but I eventually will use it for something else). Also, I keep my eyes open and look at the other products to see what might be able to be used for future projects.

that's may work for you i think you're a professional :D but me.. i don't know anything about the product i should use and the store manager too so i can't ask him here in Egypt they use the product for different projects so they know nothing if it will do what i want or not

so if you can go to the site again for me sorry :D and check epoxy "compounds for special purposes tap" and "protective coating pruducts tab" for me and you will find all the KEMOPOXY products with the information you want to check and tell me your best guss so i can buy it tomorrow
because you know more than me on that matter

that's may work for you i think you're a professional :D but me.. i don't know anything about the product i should use and the store manager too so i can't ask him here in Egypt they use the product for different projects so they know nothing if it will do what i want or not

so if you can go to the site again for me sorry :D and check epoxy "compounds for special purposes tap" and "protective coating pruducts tab" for me and you will find all the KEMOPOXY products with the information you want to check and tell me your best guss so i can buy it tomorrow
because you know more than me on that matter

Ok, now that my mind has melted into a puddle of gelatinous goo, I have my "best guess". I base this on their description, as well as the properties I have seen with this product. Keep in mind, I do not know the sand-ability of this, but think a dremel could be of use if needed.

"Kemapoxy 165 QQ" seems to fit the best due to its higher viscosity, and bonding ability. If you decide to get this, BE SURE YOU GET THE "QQ" VERSION! The plain 165 will not work for you, and upon further research, the 150 will have too much elasticity.

Nothing "jumped" out at me as a clear winner though. This is a risky acquisition, and it may not work out you intend it to. I generally only like taking these types of risks if it is my purchase, and mainly because I will eventually find a use for it later. :)

Thank you very much :D so its the 165 QQ and if i didn't find it i will go for the 150 right ?
or the 150 will not work ? because i dont know exactly what have too much elasticity mean :D

From what I read, the 165 QQ was the only one. The 150 would be like rubber, so it will not work.

Thanks man! You helped a lot! I finally made my first helm but I put to much bondo on it so I had a hard time sanding it down!

From what I read, the 165 QQ was the only one. The 150 would be like rubber, so it will not work.

I found some company sells the epoxy resin finally :D
i want you to tell me what one should i use ?

http://www.ctpegypt.com/

English - products - Kemapox epoxy resin - download the PDF for every one (its so small)
i think i should use RL 218

so is that the right one ?

Of these choices, yes, the RL 218 seems like the best choice. My only concern is if they sell it is smaller amounts and also if it is a two part hardening system.

when i call them they told me the name of that thing im loking for is polyester ?? so is that the same thing and it too come with hardener

Polyester resin and epoxy resin are not the same thing, but function very similar. Without going in to great detail, the polyester resin with the proper hardener will work just fine for what you intend to use it for.

ok thank you very much and iam really sorry for all that question you never failed me thank you
i got the polyester with the hardener and i found a fiber glass too on the same store and they use the polyester to stick the fiber glass so that make me more sure about the stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back