"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
k thanx XD
i mean iv read through alto but teh i was like geeez 84 0,0 cba

sigh after watching that vid (thanx as well) it seems iv burst into a room with out intro ducing my self and this is gunna be a TON of work (the armour that it) but it will be worth it
looks like i betta start afresh

hello im you fireball
im a noob
im form england
i got alot of halo games and i love forge
i concider my self creative
i am very bad at spelling
and i hope i can have fun making learning and giving tips i may soon find
i found out about this halo armour making when browsing youtube and came across indymogual and there many things and then came across halo armour making
(tick off the list, next cusomize my profile)

do us and yourself a favor too, please, and don't double post. that's what the edit button is for, thanks.

there comleatly unrelated why cant i double post no need to be so mean about it

He just enjoys pointing out the rules. They're linked in the noob reading list, right below the intro video you watched.

I wasn't being mean, I was just pointing out the rules so you don't get in trouble by an admin. Whether or not they are related, you sadly cannot post more than one reply in a row, though you can post again as soon as someone replies to your post AND the edit feature is wonderful.

Would it be possible to fiberglass some areas that would receive more punishment than others and then rondo the entire piece including the fiberglassed areas or would that cause problems?

Would it be possible to fiberglass some areas that would receive more punishment than others and then rondo the entire piece including the fiberglassed areas or would that cause problems?

Nope, that should work fine. I would do any fiberglass reinforcing first, and then do the layer of Bondo.

if I do the resining outside on a nice windy day while wearing a bandana or something over my mouth, will I still need to purchase a respirator? im real tight on money and my parents dont want to buy me the respirator

if I do the resining outside on a nice windy day while wearing a bandana or something over my mouth, will I still need to purchase a respirator? im real tight on money and my parents dont want to buy me the respirator

You really can't cut corners when it comes to safety. Your health and well being should definitely be worth 30 dollars to your parents.
You really must have a respirator, there are no other options.

thats what I told them. ill do my best to get one. what kind does home depot have so I know what im looking for? I dont want to get the wrong one

ohh I didnt see the links to the respirators when I read that before I apoligize ^^;

Just to summarize and belabor the point, you will need a respirator with filter cartridges for vapors. They look like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Dust masks or other similar white cloth particle "respirators" will not suffice for filtering the fumes from resin and Bondo.

Really, it should be a no-brainer. Spend a small amount (>$30) now, and save on potential hundreds or thousands in hospital bills (not to mention, your overall health in general).

I tried fiberglassing today and by the end of applying about 5 pieces of cloth, fibers were sticking all over my gloves and anything I touched. Should I cut like 20 pieces first instead of one by one? Also should I apply one piece of cloth, then paint with resin, or put like 5 down and then paint?
If it has to go 1 at a time, how can I avoid getting my hands all sticky and getting fiberglass bits all over the place?

Hey Rider, you helped me last time, time for me to return the favour.

1. You should cut your fibreglasss cloth up int onumerous pieces before you even think about opening up the can (or tin or whatever you want to call it) of resin. Cut the pieces up into various sizes - small, medium, large. And, as I'm sure you know, make sure there's no air 'bubbles' between your cloth and piece.
2. I'm not sure what's better, whether to do it one bit at a time or all at once, although this site has a couple of vids that may be able to help you with that:
http://pepvids.cz.cc/
3. Designate one hand to handle the cloth when it is being dipped in resin, placed, etc and use the other for other stuff, like paintbrush, adjusting non-resinned things. It can be tricky, and I'm sure you've thought of it/tried it, but you'll hopefully only end up with one glove covered in resin etc.

Hope I helped, Squish

how can I avoid getting my hands all sticky and getting fiberglass bits all over the place?

About fibreglass on your gloves: There are two solutions to this. One is to not touch the resin, this is also the safer one, because those popular examination gloves don't hold up to the resin very well. Don't dip the cloth in resin, but rather paint the resin on with a brush and then put the cloth down on the sticky surface. You could also use a tool, stainless steel tweezers for example - but you'll have to throw those into acetone before the resin on them has cured.
The other solution is to use spray-on release agent on your gloves. Hyokenseisou taught me that trick in her "watch me work" live streams :)

Thanks for the help guys! I tried it today using the one hand for this and one hand for that thing and it worked great! :D

Just to summarize and belabor the point, you will need a respirator with filter cartridges for vapors. They look like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Dust masks or other similar white cloth particle "respirators" will not suffice for filtering the fumes from resin and Bondo.

Really, it should be a no-brainer. Spend a small amount (>$30) now, and save on potential hundreds or thousands in hospital bills (not to mention, your overall health in general).
I know, its just my parents are super cheap...but Ill keep trying to convince them to get me one.
also, I got these foam brushes from JoAnns, 5 for $1, figured it couldnt hurt, will those work with the resin or will the resin eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back