"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Padding...

DSC04881.jpg

(If I had a nickle for every time I've shown off this picture...)

Where did you buy these paddings? Can you give me a link?

Also, the rubber looking seal on the opening. Can I have a link too?

Thanks.

Gamertag said:
Where did you buy these paddings? Can you give me a link?

Also, the rubber looking seal on the opening. Can I have a link too?

Thanks.

Correct me if im wrong. The seal looks like car door trim, available by the metre at most car parts supply stores or even cheaper Ya local scrap yard.

Now to my question for my current build I have resined then applied a thin coat of rondo and need to touch up a few areas.
But next step is I plan to fibreglass to give extra support/durability. The rondo has set with a pretty glossy finish, should I scuff the whole surface with 80 grit first before glassing. Or due to resin being already present glass directly on it? I'm by no means lazy and am enjoying taking my time for a great finish, but any corners that aren't necessary will be cut.

Cheers

Correct me if im wrong. The seal looks like car door trim, available by the metre at most car parts supply stores or even cheaper Ya local scrap yard.

Now to my question for my current build I have resined then applied a thin coat of rondo and need to touch up a few areas.
But next step is I plan to fibreglass to give extra support/durability. The rondo has set with a pretty glossy finish, should I scuff the whole surface with 80 grit first before glassing. Or due to resin being already present glass directly on it? I'm by no means lazy and am enjoying taking my time for a great finish, but any corners that aren't necessary will be cut.

Cheers

Roughing up the rondo coat is not necessary. For the fiberglass step I like to paint on some resin, set my strip or piece of fiberglass on top of the painted resin, and then apply more resin to the fiberglass piece with a dabbing motion to secure it down. Like working with something like paper mâché the fiberglass pieces should overlap for a good strong result.

Roughing up the rondo coat is not necessary. For the fiberglass step I like to paint on some resin, set my strip or piece of fiberglass on top of the painted resin, and then apply more resin to the fiberglass piece with a dabbing motion to secure it down. Like working with something like paper mâché the fiberglass pieces should overlap for a good strong result.

Thats what I thought, from the limited experience with resining/glassing my Iron Man helm I know that when I resined the inside ( Which I was heavyhanded with ) once cured I applied glass sheets straight to that with no issues. But wasnt sure of bonding glass to the rondo mix.

Cheers.

I'm also somewhat new I've been reading for a few days to be cost efficient, but I have a question. I'm making a helmet for paintball and was wondering if I could put fiberglass on the outside of the helmet after resining and still keep the details I'm also planning to add a somewhat thick layer of Bondi on the less detailed areas to keep it intact. Altogether I'd like to know if there is a way to make my helmet more sturdy without sacrificing that good in game look?

I'm also somewhat new I've been reading for a few days to be cost efficient, but I have a question. I'm making a helmet for paintball and was wondering if I could put fiberglass on the outside of the helmet after resining and still keep the details I'm also planning to add a somewhat thick layer of Bondi on the less detailed areas to keep it intact. Altogether I'd like to know if there is a way to make my helmet more sturdy without sacrificing that good in game look?

Putting fiberglass on the outside as opposed to the inside would make detail work a lot harder if not impossible. I'd recommend fiberglassing the inside and then putting a coat of rondo over that fiberglass on the inside too. It will add strength and give a smooth inner surface for padding. Your biggest concern should be the visor. A strong enough visor will be needed for protection for your eyes.

Well I was going to use a motorcycle visor in my helmet. Do you have any ideas how to have it put in securely for my helmet?

Most people use threaded studs that are secured to the helmet using 2 part putty or with rondo then mounting through holes drilled in the visor. There's a good tutorial on it in the noob forum stickies

im looking to clean the inside of me helmet up, ive done the fibre glass reinforcement inside a couple layers resin etc, and sanded down any sloppy fibres from the fibre glass. Ive read and seen people and builders use rondo/bondo, but im lookin more of a light weight way of going about it. possibly melt down some hot glue over it all im not entirely sure. any tips hints suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D thanks!

spartan Dragunity ~s153

On my current build I plan to just line the inside of the helmet with thin EVA foam to cover the rough looking/feeling fiberglass. I figure it will be light weight and give a cleaner appearance.

Hi, I am searching a no-toxic resin and I found in Italy this product http://www.prochima.it/catalogo/prochima 28.pdf sorry for the italian language. I don't believe is toxic free, but isn't odor so for me is good. I have a sample and is pretty strong like abs, this is a poliuretanic composit maybe is the same of smooth cast right? But I still have a question is good for harder a paper project? The manufacturer say is perferct for craft work but I don't know is simple to use and mix whit another product you can make a no-toxic bono.

What do you think?

I found english version!!!!

http://www.prochima.com/eng/product.asp?id=10

http://www.prochima.com/public/eng/SINTAFOAM1.1_ing.pdf

On my current build I plan to just line the inside of the helmet with thin EVA foam to cover the rough looking/feeling fiberglass. I figure it will be light weight and give a cleaner appearance.

thats a good thought, Ill try it myself and see what it looks like XD lol thanks kryios90 for the idea :D haha i thought of caulking of some sort aswell. but the foam may be a good shot aswell then add padding afterwards :)

Look for the spray rubber in a can to cover up those rougher edges inside the helmet. Auto undercoat, or truck bed liner. You can find this at any Home Depot/Lowes/ and probably a lot of hardware stores. Auto stores should also carry it, and some places have their own brand if you're looking to shave costs. It comes out nice flat black, has excellent adhesive qualities, and applies thicker than paint to help cover up inconsistencies or odd edges, like fiberglass can lovingly provide for us.

Best of luck and keep it up, all out there.

Look for the spray rubber in a can to cover up those rougher edges inside the helmet. Auto undercoat, or truck bed liner. You can find this at any Home Depot/Lowes/ and probably a lot of hardware stores. Auto stores should also carry it, and some places have their own brand if you're looking to shave costs. It comes out nice flat black, has excellent adhesive qualities, and applies thicker than paint to help cover up inconsistencies or odd edges, like fiberglass can lovingly provide for us.

Best of luck and keep it up, all out there.

That has to be the most amazing suggestion aswell. Truck bed liner or auto rubber spray you say? I can definitely hit up any of the hardware/auto shops around town here and definitely grab a can :) cost isnt terribly of concern, but the best of quality would go alot further me thinks :D hoorah thanks for that tip and suggestion Ghost Bear 027!! Dragunity over and out!

hey im new to the site and pepakura. I made a mark v helmet the other day and ive tried finding out what to use to make it hard but most of what ive found doesnt sound that great. Plus idk what or how to line the inside of my helmet or what to use as a visor. Will someone plz give me some ideas/suggestions?

Yes, so there are a lot of questions there, I will break them up and answer them:
1) "Info about hardening" - You have a few options. The most common option is Fiberglass + Bondo. It's a bit toxic so it can't be done inside. Once it dries it's benign to be near your face, it's the same stuff they use to make boats and cars. If you don't want to do that, you can turn to water based resins, they're more expensive and weaker, but 100% non toxic. There is also papier mache and stuff like that but it won't survive a single drop or wanging, I don't recommend that at all. Lastly, you could abandon the helmet and go to foam which is fast and safe, but very difficult to get to look good. I suggest just doing fiberglass and bondo, and am happy to give more info on it. It gives good results with only a minimal requirement of skill and a driveway or back yard.

2) "Lining the helmet" - If you have money to spare, motorcycle liners can be used to pad the helmet. If you want to keep it under 40$ you can just buy any kind of foam from a craft store and stack it up to make the pads. I was on a tight budget and bought a 5$ sheet of spongy foam and just did two layers inside a helmet. The motorcycle liner will be more comfortable and fight sweat, but it's expensive.

3) "Visors?" - What people usually do is fiberglass the inside of the helmet, then cut out the paper visor and buy a motorcycle visor and glue it in. These ones have color options and are only 15$ so they are a good option:
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...usion-Circuit-Helmet-Faceshield/p/41498_59426

There is a tutorial on this site for how to install them.

hey im new to the site and pepakura. I made a mark v helmet the other day and ive tried finding out what to use to make it hard but most of what ive found doesnt sound that great. Plus idk what or how to line the inside of my helmet or what to use as a visor. Will someone plz give me some ideas/suggestions?

I've made an post before were I was searching for the best alternative.

Textile hardener from the company called Powertex does the trick really well! It is especially strong in corners so your details are like rock. I'd recommend to do 1 layer on the details and 2 layers on large surfaces for the best effects and the lowest cost. Textile hardener is cheap, and really easy to get as you can find it in every hobby-craft store. It is NON-Toxic and all you need to add is an old bed sheet or something to make textile sheets. Just lay them INSIDE the helmet and make sure that they overlap eachother by a little bit. After that do Bondo/clay/paperclay, and you've got yourself an cheep, non-toxic, STRONG helmet. It can't bend, it wouldn't break when you let it fall as it is an little bit flexible. I even asked my friend to put on my forearm and then I toke an boxing glove and punched him as hard as I could. The forearm was not even scratched.

So yes. There are alternetives.

For an visor you can buy an Plexiglas sheet and melt it and then vaquemform it over an template that you reinforced. Then you can tint it with spray or those sticker-kinds.

What I use for padding is sponges. They absorb your sweat, are flexible, cheap and really easy to cut. Just buy those big ones, and cut them/glue them in place. Put EVAFoam behind the places where a big spacer must be.

Good luck with your project!

I bought Aqua Resin is anyone here familiar with this stuff? I'm going to use it soon and have only found limited resources pertaining to Pepakura helmets.

More specifically how well does it hold up in comparison to other types. I watched the tutorial videos and still cutting my teeth.
Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back