"Help!" for: Foam

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Carpathia, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Zaff

Zaff

There's a high likelihood the models are already unfolded and available via the 4shared and/or on-site databases. Whether they are unfolded or not, however, you will still need The Pepakura Viewer/Designer program in order to open the files. So if you can't get the program on your computer, the files won't be of any use to you. If you can find someone local to you, or if you're willing to spring for the cost of ink, paper, and postage, you might be able to find someone willing to print out the files you want and send the packets to you (hopefully sorted and labeled so you don't get pieces mixed between models).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  2. AnotherFanboy

AnotherFanboy New Member

Well thanks for answering my question. I'll search around my area for anyone willing to do this for me. If not I'll just wait until my laptop is fixed.

3. Final3ch0

Final3ch0 New Member

Hey where can I find blueprints for halo reach armor, I know pep files work but I'm looking for something less complicated

4. Frozensnot

Frozensnot

Re: "Help!" for: Foam

To make foam armor you need pep files. Some of the pep files are converted into foam friendly files. If you're not wanting as much detail, don't cut out all the little details.

You can find reach armor in the file archive with foam templates.

There is also another database with reach foam armor. Although I don't know if those files are already in the file archive.

5. Cptins8n087

Cptins8n087

Hey all i am new to the 405th at least posting, i already did my introduction piece in the newbs form. i am on my first build for my odst armor. all cutting is finished need to know which sealent method everyone prefers. i was thinking of using plasti dip? any help would be great

6. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

I am going to make a halo 4 recruit costume But I can't figure out what to do for the cod area.

7. OT7OM4N

OT7OM4N New Member

8. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

Ok, thank you :)

9. ColdAdamantium

ColdAdamantium

Hey all!
    Random question here... I'm trying to download the files that Caboose vs Grif gave a link to on page 1 for some foam pep files, but they won't DL into my pep designer, they keep opening into a different app and I can't choose another directory...
    Anyone else having this problem?

10. OT7OM4N

OT7OM4N New Member

After you've downloaded the files onto your computer. Open the pep designer then go File > Open... >*pep file directory*. Its not a common file format so your computer doesn't really know what to do with it!

ColdAdamantium likes this.
  11. ColdAdamantium

ColdAdamantium

Awesome, I'll give that a go.
    Thanks OT7OM4N

12. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

I am not sure if this would go in this category, but I am going to be making a halo 4 odst foam costume but I don't know how to size it. Could someone help if they would be so kind?

13. ColdAdamantium

ColdAdamantium

14. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Marketplace Supervisor Division Staff

Coldadamantium is correct on the lines of using a pep file to do it.

If you are scratch building, however, I like to make cardboard templates/rough shapes to get an idea for scale. Cardboard is free for the most part, amd you can easily hold up parts while looking in the mirror to see if they appear to be the correct size.

shwarzwald likes this.
  15. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

Thank you. This will help me a lot. :D

16. computergeekman

computergeekman New Member

I've started working with foam recently and when it came time for painting, I did something wrong. I don't know if I used too many coats or maybe it was the silver base coat I used, but the paint is cracking. I stopped putting the silver layer on the other parts and the paint doesn't Crack anymore. So my question is, is there a way to remove the paint that is cracking and repaint the parts? Or do it have to make a whole new part?

17. death1ink

death1ink

use a fine grit sand paper to remove it then spray a few layers of plasti-dip over the part and get even coats the primer and paint. plus when it comes to foam, spend the money to get an airbrush. airbrush paint wont crack when the foam flexes. I got one a few years back and its the best purchase I made! but that all my opinion

18. computergeekman

computergeekman New Member

Thanks a ton! I'll give that a try :)

19. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

I am on the part on were I need to cut it out but I don't know if it would be easier to trace the pieces or just cut around them or some other method. So if I could have some help it would be much appreciated.

20. Frozensnot

Frozensnot

I usually trace the templates and then cut the foam. It would be a little time consuming if you accidentally cut a template while cutting.

21. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

Ok thank you it will help a lot :)

22. locostorm

locostorm

i do the same

23. SPRTN5377

SPRTN5377 New Member

Hi all! ive done the pepakura method before but i was interested in trying the foam route, so far i have an exacto knife, and i have this somewhat thick foam i got in a pack for 20 dollars at walmart about half a year ago, was wondering what foam am i looking for exactly size wise? ive seen examples of others armor and how they will have mostly grey looking foam armor but also have a thinner colored layer, was also wondering if hot glue is good to use. thanks!

I also intend on making reach armor

24. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Marketplace Supervisor Division Staff

Hi! So that thicker foam you purchased is a pack of floor mats with the puzzle shaped edges, correct? That's the stuff you will want to use to make the base of all your armor parts. The thinner layers you see people using are generally craft foam. Craft foam is identical in composition to those floor mats (aka eva foam), and you can find it in 2 and 6mm thicknesses at various hobby stores and potentially larger stores like wal mart. Hot glue is great for gluing foam together, though I'd you are dealing with the 2mm craft foam, contact cement will serve you far better, as it does not leave any bumps or waves in the foam.

Make sure you have lots of spare exacto blades handy, or a way to sharpen them quickly. Foam will dull them extremely quickly! I personally just use the flat razor blades you can get from home depot in packs of 100 for about $12. I went through 400 blades on my build, always replacing them as soon as they start to catch or tear the foam.

25. SPRTN5377

SPRTN5377 New Member

Awesome! Thank you phil! And yes youre correct about what foam i bought, ill let you know the progress on my build if you like