"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds complicated but ill try thanks Venture. And heck you know what they say complicated things if done right usually are the best way to do em.

Actually I've never heard that, but I suppose doing it right is always the best alternative, even if something isn't complicated :)

If you wait a few minutes, I'll try to whip up an example.

Edit: Ok, here's your example. I think the thing speaks for itself and you already have the long explanation, so I won't write as much this time. Note that I haven't actually tried this in reality yet (working on that), but theoretically, it should work! :)

(I just noticed that I didn't take into account where the boot flexes, but it's just an example anyway, so who cares.)

gimpscalingboot.jpg

Actually I've never heard that, but I suppose doing it right is always the best alternative, even if something isn't complicated :)

If you wait a few minutes, I'll try to whip up an example.

Edit: Ok, here's your example. I think the thing speaks for itself and you already have the long explanation, so I won't write as much this time. Note that I haven't actually tried this in reality yet (working on that), but theoretically, it should work! :)

(I just noticed that I didn't take into account where the boot flexes, but it's just an example anyway, so who cares.)

gimpscalingboot.jpg

8O Ok That is cool! And Thanks i feel like an idiot now it was operator error, I Mixed up the measurements of the boot's depth width and height lol But im already halfway through doing it that way so im gonna keep trekking on Thanks a bunch Man!

Question regarding strengthening pep weapons

I know alot of people use the rondo route to strenghten weapons as the insides are hollow but i was wondering if liquid plastic put inside (equivalent of Smooth Cast) would work? I dont really want to use rondo and considered the plastic route though unsure it would work for this purpose. Anyone tried it? All i can find to buy is casting liquid plastic. Other than rondo and possibly this route i dont know any other ways of enforcing weapons on the inside

I know alot of people use the rondo route to strenghten weapons as the insides are hollow but i was wondering if liquid plastic put inside (equivalent of Smooth Cast) would work? I dont really want to use rondo and considered the plastic route though unsure it would work for this purpose. Anyone tried it? All i can find to buy is casting liquid plastic. Other than rondo and possibly this route i dont know any other ways of enforcing weapons on the inside

Polyester resin is "liquid plastic" as well, they're all just different kinds. Just like a Land Rover and a Beetle are both cars, for example.

SmoothCast is a polyurethane resin (or just "urethane resin" for short), you should find some here as well under that name. SmoothOn also has a couple of distributors in Europe in case you want to try what "the people who are from the USA" (Hello, Spase! :)) use. Not sure if the result is worth all the extra trouble and cost though.

Polyester resin is "liquid plastic" as well, they're all just different kinds. Just like a Land Rover and a Beetle are both cars, for example.

SmoothCast is a polyurethane resin (or just "urethane resin" for short), you should find some here as well under that name. SmoothOn also has a couple of distributors in Europe in case you want to try what "the people who are from the USA" (Hello, Spase! :)) use. Not sure if the result is worth all the extra trouble and cost though.
Ah i see ok. So if its just resin it wouldnt really be strong enough for these purposes? Im not sure of an alternative to fibreglass since the insides are inaccessible for that other than rondo so would rondo really be the best route to strengthen the inside of a pepped weapon? I wont bother buying the liquid plastic if it wont work for this was just an idea i had as a possible alternative to rondo or expanding foam as i've heard some people have used as well. Just want something easy to use and effective in results

Ah i see ok. So if its just resin it wouldnt really be strong enough for these purposes? Im not sure of an alternative to fibreglass since the insides are inaccessible for that other than rondo so would rondo really be the best route to strengthen the inside of a pepped weapon? I wont bother buying the liquid plastic if it wont work for this was just an idea i had as a possible alternative to rondo or expanding foam as i've heard some people have used as well. Just want something easy to use and effective in results

In Your case have you ever thought of trying hot glue? Ive had a few friends that have taken hot glue put it into a pie pan melted it down and started coating the insides of there pieces. It dries fairly quickly and it also allows a sort of amount of flexibility to whatever it is on so that it can flex a bit and absorb impacts if dropped and getting away in one piece rather than two or three. And the added plus is if any part breaks or weakens just open it up and apply more glue to fix the spot. The way they did it specifically if your interested is they took a box of Hot Glue Sticks put it into a metal Pie pan then put the pan on a hot plate to melt it then used a brush and pasted it on. And be sure to move the glue from the hot plate and back to the hot plate to keep it in liquid form but not so long as it gets boiling hot. WARNING MELTED HOT GLUE IS JUST AS IT SAYS. IT's HOT!! So please be careful.

I never said that polyester resin is too weak or that other resins don't work. I just said that the alternatives are all more expensive and harder to acquire. Having a resin that is twice as strong (fictional value) is nice, but at the end of the day you don't really gain anything if it's twice as expensive as well and has no other advantages besides its strength.

I'd stay away from hot glue, you can't sand that properly and without sanding, your prop will be stuck at a mediocre qualtity level.

where can i get cheep visors?

Online.

I'd stay away from hot glue, you can't sand that properly and without sanding, your prop will be stuck at a mediocre qualtity level.

The thing with Hot Glue is you only Put it on the INSIDE not the outside, The used it to reinforce it from the inside in place of resin and Fiberglass, I know that putting it on the outside makes it so you cant add detail I learned that mistake the hard way.....:/

The thing with Hot Glue is you only Put it on the INSIDE not the outside

Yeah, I get that, but hot glue is still a dead end. You can't sand into it and you can't add putty either because it's flexible, so there's no way to change the shape if you go that way.

On a helmet, where do you place air holes? I have been wondering this for quite some time. And what do you need for it?

On a helmet, where do you place air holes? I have been wondering this for quite some time. And what do you need for it?

Depends on what helmet. For MK VI, you place venting holes on the chin. You have to strategically place the holes. The reason you need the venting holes is to circulate the air. You will be wearing the helmet for a long time. Without fans to vent the air, you will be breathing stale air. Think of wearing swimming goggles, you cannot wear them for too long without the lens fogging up.

See my two builds on where I put the holes.

Depends on what helmet. For MK VI, you place venting holes on the chin. You have to strategically place the holes. The reason you need the venting holes is to circulate the air. You will be wearing the helmet for a long time. Without fans to vent the air, you will be breathing stale air. Think of wearing swimming goggles, you cannot wear them for too long without the lens fogging up.

See my two builds on where I put the holes.

Ok I believe i understand. Do you just glue the 9V battery to the side?

hi i have a question me and my friends are making halo armor together and we are trying to find a place to find some cool halo visors does anyone know where i can find a website for them

Hi there! I'm new to the 405th and I am hoping to make Halo Reah Emile's armor, but because of concern for my health when fiberglassing and my mother's overseeing veto power of safety, I have been driven to use paper mache! So, if anyone has any tips or tricks or other help, please let me know. I think I have it down, at lease most of it anyway, but before I start I thought I'd get some insight from others... By the way my personal deadline is Halloween 2011. Thanks in advance!

hi i tried to open a lot of different pep files and my computer said it does not have the files to open them and i could not find a site to get that can ay one help? PS please?

Hi there! I'm new to the 405th and I am hoping to make Halo Reah Emile's armor, but because of concern for my health when fiberglassing and my mother's overseeing veto power of safety, I have been driven to use paper mache! So, if anyone has any tips or tricks or other help, please let me know. I think I have it down, at lease most of it anyway, but before I start I thought I'd get some insight from others... By the way my personal deadline is Halloween 2011. Thanks in advance!

If you can afford it, try Aqua-Resin. Non-toxic and results similar to those of polyester resin. It's also very possible to use other resins safely, if you know how and can convince your mother (who is perfectly right to be protective!). You probably won't be able to get the same kind of result with paper maché, I'm afraid.

hi i tried to open a lot of different pep files and my computer said it does not have the files to open them and i could not find a site to get that can ay one help? PS please?

You need to use Pepakura Designer to open them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back