"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on my suit and the scaling has been coming along fine, but now ive gotten to the helmet and I am stumped. Is there a formula for figuring out what size to make the helmet? My head is average size, maybe a tad big. Has anybody made a helmet with a good scale that would work for me? (i'd rather it be a tad too big than a tad too small) Thanks!

Hello, I have been watching a video tutorial series on how to resin and Rondo a helmet, but I have one problem (I am posting in pepakura because I thing this is where the solution lies) The person in the video is making what he refers to as a Master copy and as such he does not have holes cut out for the visor. Do you cut the visor out before or after you resin the paper? He rondo'd the entire inside visor area and all before doing anything, I was wondering if I should cut the visor out (or omit it as the case may be) from the pepakura model or if I should cut it out after I have rondo'd the inside of the helmet.

Hello, I have been watching a video tutorial series on how to resin and Rondo a helmet, but I have one problem (I am posting in pepakura because I thing this is where the solution lies) The person in the video is making what he refers to as a Master copy and as such he does not have holes cut out for the visor. Do you cut the visor out before or after you resin the paper? He rondo'd the entire inside visor area and all before doing anything, I was wondering if I should cut the visor out (or omit it as the case may be) from the pepakura model or if I should cut it out after I have rondo'd the inside of the helmet.

The visor provides a great deal of stability, and you really need that while resining AND while glassing/rondoing your model. You chould cut the visor out when you are finished with the hardening.

two things.

1. Thanks for the quick response, I was honestly expecting this to be one of those Post, Sleep, Read Reply, repeat. sorta deals
2. What is a good tool for cutting the hardened helmet? (i know this really belongs in the fiberglass thread, but it does relate to my previous question) I currently have this many power tools: 0 so I am looking to buy some.

EDIT: I am probably going to go look around for tool lists and the such. Don't Worry about this question.

2. What is a good tool for cutting the hardened helmet? (i know this really belongs in the fiberglass thread, but it does relate to my previous question) I currently have this many power tools: 0 so I am looking to buy some.

EDIT: I am probably going to go look around for tool lists and the such. Don't Worry about this question.

A good place to start reading into stuff is here.

Dremels are a solid choice. You can use cutting discs and cutting bits. The latter are harder to use, but allow you to go into the corners without cutting into the rest of the model.

How should a helmut actually fit? I measured my head and from the bottom of my chin resting on a shelf, the top of my head is 9.5" off the shelf. So, I've got to get a 9.5" tall melon into the helmut- but I'm not sure, based on the helmut I want to build, how my head should fit with that helmut. Are there are "xray" type of side views of the standard Halo Reach helmets with a human head inside that would allow me to scale my helmut to the right size so that it'll fit propertly? I'm also not sure how thick the Rondo and expanding foam layers are...has anyone every done a cutaway/section of a finished helmet that's been decommissioned or damaged beyond repair?

How should a helmut actually fit? I measured my head and from the bottom of my chin resting on a shelf, the top of my head is 9.5" off the shelf. So, I've got to get a 9.5" tall melon into the helmut- but I'm not sure, based on the helmut I want to build, how my head should fit with that helmut. Are there are "xray" type of side views of the standard Halo Reach helmets with a human head inside that would allow me to scale my helmut to the right size so that it'll fit propertly? I'm also not sure how thick the Rondo and expanding foam layers are...has anyone every done a cutaway/section of a finished helmet that's been decommissioned or damaged beyond repair?

Add 2.5"-3" and that will give you the appropriate scale for a Mjolnir helmet.

Where Can I Get Pepakura at?

Pepakura Designer (the programme) can be downloaded from its manufacturer (Tamasoft). Google will lead you the way.
Pepakura files (which you open with said programme) are scattered all over the forums. The search function or Google will most likely help you here as well. These files end in pdo, you may want to use that as a keyword.

Make sure to read this as well. Have fun :)

Alright, so i have my entire Mark VI suit pepped out except for the helmet and the boots. I've had a couple scalling difficulties so far, but i've worked through them all. My question is though how should i scale my boots and helmet. I've read that you mesure from your chin, out to your ears, then back to the top of your head, and add 2.5-3 in. Is this the best way to gauranttee that my helmet fits? Also, i've found nothing on how to scale the boots. Im a size 12 shoe, so how would i know what to make my scale? Thank you very much for your time and answers. I really appreciate it.

Okay, so before I decided to make an account and actually post [you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable] I tried to figure everything else out by myself by lurking over the forums, checking tutorials, all that jazz. I have a couple of questions.

I have pep with a password and everything, I've got a downloaded pep that I've wanted to use. 1. Is there a way to 'delete' or 'remove' pieces of the particular pep you do not want?
2. Am I able to rotate the view to get a full 360 on the model of the pep not the actual unfolded part? If so, how?

Any help is appreciated.

1. Is there a way to 'delete' or 'remove' pieces of the particular pep you do not want?
2. Am I able to rotate the view to get a full 360 on the model of the pep not the actual unfolded part? If so, how?

1. You can drag pieces off the pages. Stuff that is not on there won't be printed. Make sure to drag it to the left or top border, otherwise the programme will create new pages.

2. Hold your right mouse button and move the mouse.

Thanks but I should of been more clear on the first question, sorry.
The first part I'm looking to delete pieces off the pep before its been unfolded. Im unsure how to actually do this and the tutorials I've looked at don't really cover it or explain it.

I was looking at the MKVI hd shin. (left) and noticed the right one looked exactly the same. are they supposed to be like that or do I need to invert the pattern?

I'm new to the thread as a poster but have read over many tuts and threads,researched pep and all that but I fall into the sad bunch that are mac users and I don't have the proper software to run windows. Has anyone found a mac friendly unfolding program yet? I also Tried to be slick and find pdfs of already done helmets(since i so far see noone has done the one i want) but all i find are stormtrooper pep pdfs.

I want to try the grunt ultra helmet as my first and thought pep or anything like it would be a nice first try before attempting sculpting or something like that.

On pepakura what do i do if 1 piece covers 3 padges of A4 eg. the sniper rifle barrel my printer only prints A4 so what should i do?

You have two choices:

1. Print the parts on the multiple pages. Then tape or glue the piece(s) back together once you cut it out; or
2. Use Pepakura's "Join/Disjoin" faces function to spit the part(s) into smaller pieces (available in the 2D Menu - edit mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back