help making halo weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj132435

hello me and my friends have been thinking to make halo weapons to sell. now i was thinking of making them out of wood then detailing and painting the weapon. is this a good idea? or should i use some other methods to make them?

this is also my first post here so if its in the wrong area im sorry
Thanks
~Kj

i wouldn't sell them, that would prolly bring up some sort of legal problem with microsoft you don't want to get in to. And that is fine to make them out of wood.

Welcome To the 405th.

Instead of listing off all of the normal, "go to this sticky for this" posting, just check out this link

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34408-All-In-One-New-Member-Introduction-Guide

Now, I would take note that prop making is not a cheap hobby. I've spent well over 300 dollars on only 3 helmets and small various projects. That is just on sanding materials, bondo, resin, and all of the essential basics. Now, another important note is that IT TAKES A LONG TIME. Its not something that you can just start working on and be done with a fully finished DMR within 2 hours. The only quick way to make weapons is to mold them and make casts. And that is EXPENSIVE. You would have to sell your weapons for high prices in order to keep the casts coming.

Don't let me discourage you from trying however, that was not my intent. Just know that reality hits pretty hard when you're funding something that takes a lot of dedication.

Well, well, well...I see there is some fresh meat from jersey. Hahaha just kidding, welcome to the forums and good luck on the weapon builds! Check my friends list for other jersey guys!

shrubpig
there are no legal troubles microsoft (i cant find the link anymore) says you have permission to use anything from any of their exclusives Halo, forza, gears of war... Etc

bulldogressler
so i shouldnt make them out of wood? i know someone who knows how to mold plastic would that work?

ok i got my pepakura file of a M6D magnum. so i put heavy cardstock in my printer print, fold, resin it, then put together or do i have it mixed up?

You could use sliced weapons templates, make them out of posterboard, and then make a mold out of Rebound-25, which would make it so you have the original for yourself, and a molded one for customers.

You could use sliced weapons templates, make them out of posterboard, and then make a mold out of Rebound-25, which would make it so you have the original for yourself, and a molded one for customers.

oooh that sounds good. how would i do such a thing?

Download some sliced files, then put them together, go to the rebound website, and then coat the weapon with it. It will get hard and you can then fill the mold with plastic. Once your done you can sell. The mold can maybe last for 3-4 casts.

Download some sliced files, then put them together, go to the rebound website, and then coat the weapon with it. It will get hard and you can then fill the mold with plastic. Once your done you can sell. The mold can maybe last for 3-4 casts.
hmm ok ill try that

if you r really into this and have your mind set on wood and material like that, invest in a cnc machine. depending on the intense detail you want they range from 600$-20,000$(wich would be good for the fist assualt rifle. otherwise pep is the way to go.

if you r really into this and have your mind set on wood and material like that, invest in a cnc machine. depending on the intense detail you want they range from 600$-20,000$(wich would be good for the fist assualt rifle. otherwise pep is the way to go.
oh crap thats alot but it would make making these easier i would have to find a good price range per weapon first so i can know if ill be able to pay off the machine because thats a big investment to start out with.

I would never ever recommend selling replicas of licensed and trade marked work as it can have MAJOR legal repercussions. For example, Square Enix has recently become VERY strict about the making and selling of replica swords/items from any of their games. I can only imagine how Microsoft would get if this became a trend.

However, besides all that.

I made myself a Halo 3 AR a while back using the pepakura method. It wasn't easy, but it was fun and it turned out great. Pepakura, while not easy, isn't by any means hard. It is just very time consuming.

I don't know what you have learned about pepakura, but the first thing you need are the programs.

Pepakura viewer and pepakura designer (I would suggest getting both, after all, they are just resources, and having as many as possible is a good idea)

Once you have the programs, you need the pep file for the 'unfolded' item you want to make. Make sure to follow any special instructions, for example, sizing the pieces to fit standard 8.5x11 paper. Once that's done, print the files and begin to cut out the shapes. After that, fold the lines according to the peaks and valleys and then hot glue it all together. Once that's done, you are ready for the next steps. But, take it slow.

I hope anything I have provided helps, I hope the amount of effort doesn't make you think twice about working towards something awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back