Help with cutting visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombhs

Jr Member
Okay so my visor is way too big for my helmet and it needs to be trimmed down. Anyone mind telling me how to do this without cracking the whole thing? I have no dremel so that's out of the question.

Band saw would be the only other thing i think. Unless you made the recon or scout helms that have really small visors you dont need to cut them down just put the whole thing in.

I would not recommend anything beside a rotary tool. A simple rotary cutter usually cost around $40. If you plan do do a complete armor, I suggest that you make the investment. I'm sure a lot of the members can tell you that it is one of the most important things in building the armor. Besides the visor, you need the rotary tool to cut resined/fiberglassed armor.

A rotary tool is the best thing for this...trust me, you'll kick youself in the rear for not buying one sooner! I've had mine for ten years now and still use it at least once a week! As for a bandsaw...that might work. Jigsaw? I wouldn't want to try it. I use mine mainly ofr cutting out parts for metal armour and wooden shields.

Go on Amazon.com and search 'dremel' you'll find really good deals there. That's where I got mine and I only spend around $50.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, I think they sell cheap rotary tools for like $10. I use one alongside my real dremel brand rotary tool so I don't have to keep swapping bits ont he same one over and over.

Dont buy the rechargeable dremel. Just when u are getting into the groove, the battery runs out. Buy the corded Dremel with as many variable speeds you can afford. To get the most out of your dremel, buy the flex shaft attachment also. My "dremel" is actually a Sears Craftsman, had it for 12 years.

Meh, this one will do for now, cause I really only need it for smoothing out some sharp/rough edges and cutting the visor out, since I'm not doing any bondo work on this project. Too little money and workspace. Resining is hard enough without smelling the fumes after I'm done.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, I think they sell cheap rotary tools for like $10. I use one alongside my real dremel brand rotary tool so I don't have to keep swapping bits ont he same one over and over.

This is certainly off topic, but you should get yourself the Multi Chuck. It's worth every cent, I have no idea why they even bother to ship new Dremels without it.

This is certainly off topic, but you should get yourself the Multi Chuck. It's worth every cent, I have no idea why they even bother to ship new Dremels without it.

lol, answered your own question there ventrue, if they can sell them as 'extra' and make some 'extra' profit, they will (tut).

lol, answered your own question there ventrue, if they can sell them as 'extra' and make some 'extra' profit, they will (tut).

Right...

Soon they'll be offering the power cord as an add-on, too, and put a hand crank into the box instead ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back