Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enrisan said:
Hey Welcome to the 405th. Someone actually made girl armor for his wife. A few parts are normal MC, others are modified versions of the Mark VI. I'm not sure where you can get the pep files but you might be able to ask him.
Here ya go:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8660&st=20

just scroll down to the bottom, there are pictures.

p.s. remember to use proper safety equipment while resining, fiberglassing, and bondo-ing.
that looks great!thanks for the link
anddd

Ral Partha, i dont think guys hormones get excited over an internet forum..
;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tater Mane said:
Either you don't understand the process, or you're just being a smartass.

Neither is unacceptable.
Actually, he is right (sorta). The resin has fiberglass in it, so they are the same thing in a way, but, on the other hand, fiberglass here is the actual fiberglass mat/cloth. As for the sticky thing, he is also right (I think), resin alone would probably be sticky, but when you add in the hardener (catalyst) it hardens. :D

Either way, he understands the process, but he's just going out of his way to be your second option, a smartass :p

okay, so im starting to get a little confused..
1. resin outside
2. fiberglass inside
which should i do first? ive seen some tuts that fiberglas the inside first
and actually, i dont get confused with a little kid on live because i dont really ever get to play halo
:unsure:

You usually resin the outside first so that the paper will hold it's shape better.
I would recomend this as most people do it so, and it has worked for my helmet.

Some fiberglass the inside 1st but i wouldnt recomend this, if your not careful you can screw up.

-Fin(n)ish

Wow, I cant believe I missed this!

First off Hi and Welcome to the 405th! :]

Soudns like your getting all the help you need right now lol.

Also, you say your from Florida eh? what part? Im in the Keys, let me know if your close and maybe we can get together and work on our armours!!!

Finnish_Spartan said:
You usually resin the outside first so that the paper will hold it's shape better.
I would recomend this as most people do it so, and it has worked for my helmet.

Some fiberglass the inside 1st but i wouldnt recomend this, if your not careful you can screw up.

-Fin(n)ish
OOKAY!! i think im ready lol.. i got my respirator thing and now i can go to walmart later and get some resin/fiberglass. ill keep you guys posted in the process
awsomeee!!! i jsut got you comment, i live in coral springs, which to you might be near... sawgrass mall?? i live like 20 to 15 min. form there. ive only been to the keys one time, btw my name is melissa

I didnt see anyone directly state this but...
There IS a female chest armor piece however, it isnt entirely cut up.
One piece takes up some 20 odd pages or something like that.
After fighting with the sizing of the pieces n such i was able to put it together.
But its not something for newbies to pep :)
But good lookin helmet!.

honest_insanity said:
I didnt see anyone directly state this but...
There IS a female chest armor piece however, it isnt entirely cut up.
One piece takes up some 20 odd pages or something like that.
After fighting with the sizing of the pieces n such i was able to put it together.
But its not something for newbies to pep :)
But good lookin helmet!.
wel thanks for the suggestion, but im pretty good with pep. ive done alot of things so far with it but not halo related ( i personally think the helmet was super easy) :)... do you have a picture of the chest??

Cool you are about 5 hours away from me. next tim ei go to the mainland i'll be sure to let you know. I'll be able to help you our with your pep work (see my sniper rifle thread to see whta I've been working on: creations discussion>weapons and props> "H2 Sniper Rifle WIP")

My name is Kelly, nice to meet you :]

Just stopping by to say welcome to the 405th. ;)

And if you are confused about resin and fiberglass, let me put it this way:

Resin is the liquid that you mix with the catalyst. You brush that mix on the outside (preferably two coats with several hours drying time in between coats).
Now the fiberglass is the dry stuff. It comes in two variants: Cloth and Mat. The Cloth doesn't break into tiny bits of glass strains like the Mat, but the Mat is easier to fit into those tricky places.
Now, you place small pieces of fiberglass inside the helmet (cloth or mat, your choice), and SOAK it with resin. Do small sections at a time. Let it dry several hours and do another section. ALWAYS use respirators and latex gloves, you don't want to get the resin fumes down your lungs or resin mix on your hands.

Good luck with your armor! ;)

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Just stopping by to say welcome to the 405th. ;)

And if you are confused about resin and fiberglass, let me put it this way:

Resin is the liquid that you mix with the catalyst. You brush that mix on the outside (preferably two coats with several hours drying time in between coats).
Now the fiberglass is the dry stuff. It comes in two variants: Cloth and Mat. The Cloth doesn't break into tiny bits of glass strains like the Mat, but the Mat is easier to fit into those tricky places.
Now, you place small pieces of fiberglass inside the helmet (cloth or mat, your choice), and SOAK it with resin. Do small sections at a time. Let it dry several hours and do another section. ALWAYS use respirators and latex gloves, you don't want to get the resin fumes down your lungs or resin mix on your hands.

Good luck with your armor! ;)
thanks for the info, it helped me out;)

Tater Mane said:
Either you don't understand the process, or you're just being a smartass.

Neither is unacceptable.
I understand it and I wasn't trying to be a "smartass", either.

Fiberglass resin, by itself, with no outside elements added, is just sticky, it doesn't harden, when you add the catalyst (hardener) the resin and catalyst reacts with the resin causing it to harden (and often heat up) and then you get fiberglass.

I'm guessing that you meant the resin/catalyst combination when you wrote resin, if you were to cover a piece in just resin it would be sticky... and that's all. That's why you need to make sure to add enough hardener when mixing your 'glass (to much isn't good either :whistle: ).

I don't want someone who has never fiberglassed before to possibly ruin their pep by misreading what you wrote, I believe most of us understand what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify, for those who may not...

If I'm wrong please correct me...

[attachment=4631:IMG_0194.jpg][attachment=4630:IMG_0195.jpg]well since everybody is diggin my helmet (YAAY!!) im gona put another pic of it on so eeryone can see... btw way, what color should i paint it?..
red, green or *drumroll* PINK!!!! lol

gamerguy55 said:
I understand it and I wasn't trying to be a "smartass", either.

Fiberglass resin, by itself, with no outside elements added, is just sticky, it doesn't harden, when you add the catalyst (hardener) the resin and catalyst reacts with the resin causing it to harden (and often heat up) and then you get fiberglass.

I'm guessing that you meant the resin/catalyst combination when you wrote resin, if you were to cover a piece in just resin it would be sticky... and that's all. That's why you need to make sure to add enough hardener when mixing your 'glass (to much isn't good either :whistle: ).

I don't want someone who has never fiberglassed before to possibly ruin their pep by misreading what you wrote, I believe most of us understand what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify, for those who may not...
If I'm wrong please correct me...

by saying "add the resin" its pretty flippin obvious he means the mixture

Skupilkinson said:
Girl! You're a bad ass! Ridin' a bike with a helmet that has a solid visor you can't see through! Hardcore! ;)
i know.. i go to INFINITIE AND BEYOND!!

nice pictures. I think the helmet is too big though. Especially if you plan on making the rest of the armor...it may need to be scaled down a little.

Enrisan said:
nice pictures. I think the helmet is too big though. Especially if you plan on making the rest of the armor...it may need to be scaled down a little.
whaaaat! ughh this sucks.. i really dont feel like making a 3rd hemlet. but i dont think i can scale it down even if i did make another one because this one bearly came onto my head.. i guess i have a big head :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back