Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Dirtdives

RXO & Keeper of Con Lists
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
. I was my own worst enemy but as one piece came to fruition, then next became easier, and the next easier still.
I'll echo Elcorios echo with some minor change to: I was my own worst critique. Once that was established and then the realization that I'm not "them" and that my build is "my build not theirs", then the pieces fell into place. It's all psychological BS. Just get out of your own head and you'll do fine.

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Don't let there large words intimidate you. You got this. Step 1 put the blade to the foam.
Step 1a) update the forum and show off your skills! It helps keep motivation, glean tips and tricks of the trade, and gives us eye candy to see other people's builds.

Just make sure to keep your blades sharp, wear your PPE, and be positive. You got this!

Badkitty

Its like what Dirt says. I just the quote from my daily PT routine.

"Do your best and forget the rest!"

It's your build and you can do what you want with it. Keep a positive attitude about it and when you made at it walk away for another day. I actually had what I called a 'damn it box'. Everytime I got upset or mad at my build I would throw little scraps or rocks in the damn it box until I felt like it was over and done with. It's not for everyone but it worked for me.

Good luck and never stop!! You will get there sooner then you think. :):)

FoxofShadows193

Wow...this thing blew up fast. I dont quite know what to say. Though for most of your advice it is something hard for me to do, due to personal issues with conditions I suffer with. Though using the photos and templates I made (a rather bad) rough draft on paper here for the base legs I decided to draft and scratch based on everything, but present my rough mockup before finalizing it.

Attachments

FoxofShadows193

Sadly if this is in any way terrible I see this as the only way to work one out, I can't seem to understand how to fit together the files from the foam no matter how hard I try to understand it. From what I have seen scratch building is much more of a time consumer so I see this being about 1.5 instead of 1 month to build or so, but I think it could be possible. Unless it's that bad then...well I am sorry, I will prob just drop this now, and pack up.

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Dude, FoxofShadows193, don't pack up, man. You'll get there.

Let's start simple. The picture you posted is rarely difficult to read online. I will say this, though: use a ruler, you'll thank yourself later.

Take some time with this, each step is important and if you do a hurry job on the first step, the second will magnify the faults, and so forth. So take your time.

Read through the tutorials every so often. I've been part of this community for 9 years, and I still go through them on occasion. There's a lot of info in them.

Think of this as a crock pot, not a microwave. It will take a longer time, but when it's done it will be quality work and last longer.

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Sadly if this is in any way terrible I see this as the only way to work one out, I can't seem to understand how to fit together the files from the foam no matter how hard I try to understand it. From what I have seen scratch building is much more of a time consumer so I see this being about 1.5 instead of 1 month to build or so, but I think it could be possible. Unless it's that bad then...well I am sorry, I will prob just drop this now, and pack up.
Dude, the only one setting timelines is yourself so there's no reason to deep six the project if you're taking a little bit longer than expected to complete a section. Not to mention the first section. Once you've gone through one part from start to finish you can then start to get a good estimate of time on how long parts will take to build.

Like Sean Anwalt and Dirtdives say, slow burn to keep everything at the best quality you can produce. My Spartan took three months to build and that was often days with 8+ hour build sessions or coming home from work and then just building until it was time to go to bed. Sweet suits take time and they only start to look their best during the home stretch so don't get discouraged by a rocky start.

Sean Anwalt is right though, a steel edged ruler is worth it's weight in gold on a project like this.

Dirtdives

405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
FoxofShadows193, you are at the same point that all of us were at when we first started........no one here just "willed" their suits in to existence. It took a long time to just figure out how to 1) work the program 2) understand the printouts of the templates 3) how to piece them together. 4) translate that in to a foam piece (if that is the route you are taking) 5) the rest .........not getting in to all the details......suffice to sat that it is a challenge. Don't just think "I can't do this ....its too hard" its not. It's a matter of patience. When doing a foam build, the one who unfolded the file removes the excess pieces that don't translate into an actual foam piece......to small.......cut will not hold the seam.......and a whole bunch of other things........regardless, you use the program and templates at the same time to see what piece attaches to the other......going off printed templates is not easy. I've tried that. Painful memories. So if you want a foam build but are having a problem translating foam templates into actual pieces......then build the whole thing. Print out a set (knee...boot......shoulder.....something small) on regular paper. Cut out and attach. At this point I could even say use scotch tape. once you have the whole thing built, then cut that into pieces that you can use as templates for transferring to foam.....I know, its a longer process and yes, you then loose your visual aid of the piece you're building.....but you will have a better understanding of what goes where and how to reassemble it. And as always, if you have a question or need help......plenty of people here to hjelp out.

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
So if you want a foam build but are having a problem translating foam templates into actual pieces......then build the whole thing. Print out a set (knee...boot......shoulder.....something small) on regular paper. Cut out and attach. At this point I could even say use scotch tape. once you have the whole thing built, then cut that into pieces that you can use as templates for transferring to foam.....I know, its a longer process and yes, you then loose your visual aid of the piece you're building.....but you will have a better understanding of what goes where and how to reassemble it. And as always, if you have a question or need help......plenty of people here to hjelp out.
This is good advice for everyone to be honest. I use green painters tape to let the edges be able to be written on. For complex shapes I assemble the paper patterns, measure angles that they meet at, mark the angles on the tape, split everything apart and add edge bevels to the foam so all pieces fits together cleanly Places like the upper sections of the Reach torsos where 4+ pieces meet at odd angles made this a necessity.

FoxofShadows193

Well...I suppose I could see to it. The thing is I have to set my own time constraints, otherwise I can't get things done. My mind sadly works like that due to my stupid afflictions. Never the less, it may be some time (prob a few days) till I get foam and other things (hopefully the craft shop and hardware store has what I need), and well, I see where it goes.

Dirtdives

405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
I know how it feels to put so much pressure on yourself to get something done in a certain amount of time. And yes for some people this is something that can't be turned off.......but think of it the other way round..........give yourself a finish date well beyond what you "think" should be the completion date......(and lets face it......you have no clue when your suit will be finished. You can't. It's too soon)......... So once you've given yourself a large cushion of time to work within......you already have take the time pressure off of yourself. You have plenty of time to finish and then you can be impressed w/ yourself for finishing well in advance of your timetable.

Badkitty

NOOOOOOO! Please don't go. PLEEEEAAAASSSSSEEEE don't drop it and run!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

We want you to stay cause we like you and we think you're cool like the rest of us!!(y)(y)(y):D:D:D:D

It's going to be a hard long journey and well I'm still making changes to mine even after all this time. I started on my build in late 2009 if that tells ya anything. We want to help you go forward with this, and I guarantee you that this effort you put forth will be SOOOOO worth it in the end.

I understand that figuring out this stuff isn't exactly easy but you can do it!!

Well...I suppose I could see to it. The thing is I have to set my own time constraints, otherwise I can't get things done. My mind sadly works like that due to my stupid afflictions. Never the less, it may be some time (prob a few days) till I get foam and other things (hopefully the craft shop and hardware store has what I need), and well, I see where it goes.
I like your response here, don't ever stop--don't ever quit--:D:D:D:D

You might look online for a better supplier also and find some different stuff to make it work better for you too!! You never know!

I'm so happy your gonna stay the course!!!! YEA!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Elcorio

Sadly if this is in any way terrible I see this as the only way to work one out, I can't seem to understand how to fit together the files from the foam no matter how hard I try to understand it.
Hoping some reference images may help you out here. These are a few pics from my build. I cut the template pieces out that I needed and pieced them together using a little bit of masking tape. From there, I traced it out on foam. For the most part, I only needed half of the template as it could be flipped over to make the other side. Once traced out on foam, look at the piece (in game, reference image, etc.) and see where the bends / folds/ angles are. From there, just determine where you need to make your bevel cuts. Hope that helps. 90% of my build was printing the templates and piecing them together then figuring out the cuts. Once you get the hang of it, it will almost become second nature to "just know" where the cuts are going to need to be made on the back side.

Both shoulder pieces were made using only half of one template then flipped over to get the other side X 2. On the knee cap pieces, I must have tried 4 or 5 different times to get the bevels right and had to put it down a few times and walk away from it for a bit.

Like everyone else has already said, there are going to be mistakes. It is what you learn from the mistake and the next attempt that makes your build absolutely awesome!

IMG_20180722_132214_555.jpg 20190115_093617.jpgKnee Cap.jpg 20190115_094219.jpg

Last edited:

FoxofShadows193

Oh well thanks this helps a good bit. Thankfully I have help from my art teacher, and with that, I can more or less have a ways to help learn how to scratch build something from a professional standpoint, but these photos help immensely. Now one thing, the visor. I like to have my checklist on how to get everything. The thing is, the payment for this may be a bit, and I have not the money or knowledge, and or time to vacu-form it (Third world country life.). Is there way other than that? I would consider getting plastic sheets, cutting, shaping, and tinting, and colouring if need be. Then gluing, and sealing if need be. Would that work?

Last edited:

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Oh well thanks this helps a good bit. Thankfully I have help from my art teacher, and with that, I can more or less have a ways to help learn how to scratch build something from a professional standpoint, but these photos help immensely. Now one thing, the visor. I like to have my checklist on how to get everything. The thing is, the payment for this may be a bit, and I have not the money or knowledge, and or time to vacu-form it (Third world country life.). Is there way other than that? I would consider getting plastic sheets, cutting, shaping, and tinting, and colouring if need be. Then gluing, and sealing if need be. Would that work?
For my visor I just took a flat, pre-dyed visor from a place I can't remember because it was 6 or 7 years ago, finally cut it to rough shape, and stuck it in with hot glue, tears, and lots of prayers and frustration. I hate it, but ut looks presentable. Ish.

FoxofShadows193

Oh well perhpas I can do something geometrically based, I have seen many place it in two parts and then stick them together to form the bump. Though I do wish I had a vacuformer, I am sure I can handmake most visors, but large volume based ones like SPI and such sadly not, curse my lack of funds/intellect to make one.

FoxofShadows193

Heh thanks, but after watching the video in it's entirety, I know for sure I could never make that. To big, too much materials, and well far, far to complex even with a video, I know I will mess up. Though, anyone experienced with visors over here? Do you think it's logically possible if someone was to hand craft a visor for say and ODST helmet? Will it look good? Also say if someone was to task with bigger stuff like EVA, SPI etc, would someone be able to. Asking for well information purposes on the last two.

Dirtdives

405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
I also watched the whole vid and agree. Way to complex and a bit woonko for me. Like to watch though. Thank you

TurboCharizard

RMO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Heh thanks, but after watching the video in it's entirety, I know for sure I could never make that. To big, too much materials, and well far, far to complex even with a video, I know I will mess up. Though, anyone experienced with visors over here? Do you think it's logically possible if someone was to hand craft a visor for say and ODST helmet? Will it look good? Also say if someone was to task with bigger stuff like EVA, SPI etc, would someone be able to. Asking for well information purposes on the last two.
The Andrew DFT method of visors is to use a coloured document cover cut out with scissors and glued together carefully. It's a pretty handy DIY shortcut if you don't have the space for a vacuum former or you don't have a heat gun. Just a word of warning though, this method is fairly flimsy and you'll have to be more careful with the helmet.

For my ODST visor way back I used a heat gun to shape a lexan sheet over different geometric objects (table edge for sharp corners, wine bottle for rounded) and glued together with polycarbonate glue. It was... less than exact but it fit the bill for me back then, it was just a huge safety hazard since I didn't have heat resistant gloves at that point.
49898905_2037664966318961_1358129565926424576_n.jpg