Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
True facts all round from Badkitty and Dirtdives.

Cosplay isn't really hard it's just a matter of learning how to do several small and simple tasks and then doing those tasks in the right order over and over until it's not as fun as it was the first hundred times. As you work through projects you'll learn shortcuts and start noticing things that'll help you speed up your work and make it more accurate.

This is why I always like working from the boots up to the chest and helmet, by the time you've made several hundred precise cuts and glued hundreds of pieces together you'll have a good groove going for the most iconic pieces of armour.

^ Ditto.

Try making an arm piece first. Just the arm piece.

I promise it will go wrong and look crooked (unless you're done sort of protege) but that's a good thing. It means two things: 1) you're trying and just grasping the concept, and 2) your cuts/folds need practice.

After you've done that, do it again and it will turn out better. Just remember to try hard. It'll become easy. Then you can compete with turbo and dirtdives!

This process is what I like to call the crockpot. It's not a microwave. You can have your own custom fitted halo SPARTAN (or whatever) which could cost $1,000 sometimes (or more) but it takes time. Doesn't happen overnight.
Just stick with us and make sure to update regularly. We're a pretty helpful bunch.

After you've done that, do it again and it will turn out better. Just remember to try hard. It'll become easy. Then you can compete with turbo and dirtdives!

I didn't know we were competing. I'm just here to help folks out by sharing my catastrophic failures as a word of warning.

I'll echo some of the comments already made above. The process is not hard at all, its just time consuming based on your own mindset and skill level. Look at your reference image, look at the file image, and try to imagine what steps and cuts you need to make to get the desired outcome. You will mess up. That is an inherent trait to learning, but don't give up. I often thought the same thing. Some of the builds others have done are just flat out amazing and I thought "There's no way I can do that". I was my own worst enemy but as one piece came to fruition, then next became easier, and the next easier still.

. I was my own worst enemy but as one piece came to fruition, then next became easier, and the next easier still.

I'll echo Elcorios echo with some minor change to: I was my own worst critique. Once that was established and then the realization that I'm not "them" and that my build is "my build not theirs", then the pieces fell into place. It's all psychological BS. Just get out of your own head and you'll do fine.

Don't let there large words intimidate you. You got this. Step 1 put the blade to the foam.

Step 1a) update the forum and show off your skills! It helps keep motivation, glean tips and tricks of the trade, and gives us eye candy to see other people's builds.

Just make sure to keep your blades sharp, wear your PPE, and be positive. You got this!

Step 1a) update the forum and show off your skills! It helps keep motivation, glean tips and tricks of the trade, and gives us eye candy to see other people's builds.

Just make sure to keep your blades sharp, wear your PPE, and be positive. You got this!
Sharpen PPE, got it.

Its like what Dirt says. I just the quote from my daily PT routine.

"Do your best and forget the rest!"

It's your build and you can do what you want with it. Keep a positive attitude about it and when you made at it walk away for another day. I actually had what I called a 'damn it box'. Everytime I got upset or mad at my build I would throw little scraps or rocks in the damn it box until I felt like it was over and done with. It's not for everyone but it worked for me.

Good luck and never stop!! You will get there sooner then you think. :):)

Wow...this thing blew up fast. I dont quite know what to say. Though for most of your advice it is something hard for me to do, due to personal issues with conditions I suffer with. Though using the photos and templates I made (a rather bad) rough draft on paper here for the base legs I decided to draft and scratch based on everything, but present my rough mockup before finalizing it.

Attachments

• 20190113_215002.jpg
    20190113_215002.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 267
Sadly if this is in any way terrible I see this as the only way to work one out, I can't seem to understand how to fit together the files from the foam no matter how hard I try to understand it. From what I have seen scratch building is much more of a time consumer so I see this being about 1.5 instead of 1 month to build or so, but I think it could be possible. Unless it's that bad then...well I am sorry, I will prob just drop this now, and pack up.

Dude, FoxofShadows193, don't pack up, man. You'll get there.

Let's start simple. The picture you posted is rarely difficult to read online. I will say this, though: use a ruler, you'll thank yourself later.

Take some time with this, each step is important and if you do a hurry job on the first step, the second will magnify the faults, and so forth. So take your time.

Read through the tutorials every so often. I've been part of this community for 9 years, and I still go through them on occasion. There's a lot of info in them.

Think of this as a crock pot, not a microwave. It will take a longer time, but when it's done it will be quality work and last longer.

Sadly if this is in any way terrible I see this as the only way to work one out, I can't seem to understand how to fit together the files from the foam no matter how hard I try to understand it. From what I have seen scratch building is much more of a time consumer so I see this being about 1.5 instead of 1 month to build or so, but I think it could be possible. Unless it's that bad then...well I am sorry, I will prob just drop this now, and pack up.

Dude, the only one setting timelines is yourself so there's no reason to deep six the project if you're taking a little bit longer than expected to complete a section. Not to mention the first section. Once you've gone through one part from start to finish you can then start to get a good estimate of time on how long parts will take to build.

Like Sean Anwalt and Dirtdives say, slow burn to keep everything at the best quality you can produce. My Spartan took three months to build and that was often days with 8+ hour build sessions or coming home from work and then just building until it was time to go to bed. Sweet suits take time and they only start to look their best during the home stretch so don't get discouraged by a rocky start.

Sean Anwalt is right though, a steel edged ruler is worth it's weight in gold on a project like this.

FoxofShadows193, you are at the same point that all of us were at when we first started........no one here just "willed" their suits in to existence. It took a long time to just figure out how to 1) work the program 2) understand the printouts of the templates 3) how to piece them together. 4) translate that in to a foam piece (if that is the route you are taking) 5) the rest .........not getting in to all the details......suffice to sat that it is a challenge. Don't just think "I can't do this ....its too hard" its not. It's a matter of patience. When doing a foam build, the one who unfolded the file removes the excess pieces that don't translate into an actual foam piece......to small.......cut will not hold the seam.......and a whole bunch of other things........regardless, you use the program and templates at the same time to see what piece attaches to the other......going off printed templates is not easy. I've tried that. Painful memories. So if you want a foam build but are having a problem translating foam templates into actual pieces......then build the whole thing. Print out a set (knee...boot......shoulder.....something small) on regular paper. Cut out and attach. At this point I could even say use scotch tape. once you have the whole thing built, then cut that into pieces that you can use as templates for transferring to foam.....I know, its a longer process and yes, you then loose your visual aid of the piece you're building.....but you will have a better understanding of what goes where and how to reassemble it. And as always, if you have a question or need help......plenty of people here to hjelp out.

So if you want a foam build but are having a problem translating foam templates into actual pieces......then build the whole thing. Print out a set (knee...boot......shoulder.....something small) on regular paper. Cut out and attach. At this point I could even say use scotch tape. once you have the whole thing built, then cut that into pieces that you can use as templates for transferring to foam.....I know, its a longer process and yes, you then loose your visual aid of the piece you're building.....but you will have a better understanding of what goes where and how to reassemble it. And as always, if you have a question or need help......plenty of people here to hjelp out.

This is good advice for everyone to be honest. I use green painters tape to let the edges be able to be written on. For complex shapes I assemble the paper patterns, measure angles that they meet at, mark the angles on the tape, split everything apart and add edge bevels to the foam so all pieces fits together cleanly Places like the upper sections of the Reach torsos where 4+ pieces meet at odd angles made this a necessity.

Well...I suppose I could see to it. The thing is I have to set my own time constraints, otherwise I can't get things done. My mind sadly works like that due to my stupid afflictions. Never the less, it may be some time (prob a few days) till I get foam and other things (hopefully the craft shop and hardware store has what I need), and well, I see where it goes.

I know how it feels to put so much pressure on yourself to get something done in a certain amount of time. And yes for some people this is something that can't be turned off.......but think of it the other way round..........give yourself a finish date well beyond what you "think" should be the completion date......(and lets face it......you have no clue when your suit will be finished. You can't. It's too soon)......... So once you've given yourself a large cushion of time to work within......you already have take the time pressure off of yourself. You have plenty of time to finish and then you can be impressed w/ yourself for finishing well in advance of your timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back