Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by FoxofShadows193, Dec 21, 2018.

1. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

For my ODST visor I bought some flexible plastic sheets from Etsy.
    20170808_184948.jpg
    I then made a template and cut. It's held together with clear packing tape and I just taped it into my helmet.
    20180525_173414.jpg 20180519_234627.jpg

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.
  2. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

For the ones I made for my kids, I used .020 PETG sheets with colored vinyl and standard mirrored window tint. Covered the exterior side with the colored vinyl and the interior with the window film. Let set and pepped the visor just like PaiganBoi. The silver visor is just straight mirrored window film.
    FB_IMG_1548189544974.jpg FB_IMG_1548189554957.jpg

3. FoxofShadows193

FoxofShadows193 New Member

Ok great! Great, I should be off tom to buy, final checks, checklist to be made and all that. Plastidip to seal, and contact cement to stick things together, hot knife/sharp blades, rotary tool, heat gun, foam 1/2 inch x 20 or so pieces, and a respirator. Do I need anything else, also, something to cover up seam work, what should I use?

Badkitty likes this.
  4. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Some people will recommend kwick seal, but I like woodland scenics foam putty because it is sandable. Kwick seal isnt. Also, make sure the resporatir is a good quality one. We dont want a tone getting paralyzed or something from inhaling the good stuff

Dirtdives, Elcorio and TurboCharizard like this.
  5. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

I use this:
    index.jpeg

Fill the seam, add a drop of water to your fingertip, and smooth it out. I find it does shrink a small bit once dry, so another application may be needed. Once fully cured, I find that it can be lightly sanded.

I also don't care for plastidip that much and go with the multiple layered Mod Podge route which I find hides my seams extremely well. Kwik Seal, multiple layers of Mod Podge, Wet Sand, and bye bye seams.
    FB_IMG_1548686674422.jpg 20181014_173552.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Badkitty and Dirtdives like this.
  6. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

Lol, 4 minutes before I posted mine! LOL!

xXDashIVXx and Dirtdives like this.
  7. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I haven't tried the foam putty but it sounds like something right up my alley .

Badkitty likes this.
  8. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I highly recommend it good sir. mblackwell1002 turned me onto the stuff about a year ago and I've found quite a few uses for it. Another fun toy I've recently picked up is Lumin's Workshop Foam Clay which is effectively moldable EVA foam which is great for more organic shapes than rifles and armour.

PaiganBoi, Badkitty and Dirtdives like this.
  9. Dirtdives

Could this also be used as a replacement for bondo on the outside of a helmet? I'm looking to reduce the overall weight on my next helmet build.

10. Badkitty

Badkitty Member

I just bought some of this to fix the foam issues I had on the forearm piece I just repaired using a EVA foam-over method and this stuff is the money!! Give it a shot and see what you think for yourself but I thought the rip in the foam sheet was going to be a problem until I tried this---life saver!!!

Dirtdives likes this.
  11. TurboCharizard

If anything I'd consider the Foam Clay as the two part Bondo and the Foam Putty as the Bondo glazing putty spot filler. I haven't used both in conjunction but once set the Foam Clay becomes indescribable from standard EVA mats.

I went looking for an example of Foam Clay being used and I came up with Kamui Cosplay's Nergigante Armour

Dirtdives and Badkitty like this.
  12. Badkitty

Badkitty Member

I was looking at the foam clay also and I have found a video you might what to checkout before you go buy the stuff, just to make sure you are getting what you want.

Good luck out there!

TurboCharizard and Dirtdives like this.
  13. Dirtdives

I love to do research!!!!

Badkitty and TurboCharizard like this.
  14. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

Soooo going to watch all these videos when I get home! Really interested in the whole replacement for Bondo idea and have a pepped ODST helmet sitting on the shelf. Might have to make an order!

Dirtdives and Badkitty like this.
  15. Dirtdives

yep, yep and .....yep

16. FoxofShadows193

Well, seems like it was over before it began. I can't seem to even find 1/2 inch thick sheets, only 1/4 inch thick. Should have realized this country was no use for anything, I guess in the end, I wasted everyone's time. Sorry.

17. TurboCharizard

1/4" isn't too bad to work with. Heck, even the density of the foam may make it just as effective since not all foams are created equal. Grab a small package of 1/4" and give it a try! Worst case scenario is that it's a bit more flimsy than usual and you get practice working with the material.

18. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

1/4" foam is not bad at all to use. Don't get hung up on the foam thickness as an end all to quit. The biggest hurdle in any of this is learning to think outside of the box and figure out how to take the image in your mind (or screen) and make it a reality, but you will never know if you never start. You miss 100% of the shots you never take.

19. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

The halo 5 loading screen. You fiend...
    I agree with this statement. I have only used 1/4th , with thinner foams for detail, and I personally think the thicker foams are too big unless it is for a prop... dont give up, because we all know you can do it!

20. FoxofShadows193

Well, won't 1/4 inch look like well, paper? Cause wouldn't I need the thickness aspect of it to make it look like real armor? I wouldn't want to be wearing a flimsy suit, especially with having to ship it if I am carrying it somewhere. I don't know if layering an entire 1/4 inch set onto another 1/4 inch set, and then taking away the seals would work? Cause I know weapons are built that way to get the thickness.

21. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

In laterally speaking, paper is 0.0039 inches thick... :D

1/4th is fine as it retains its shape and strength fairly well. You should easily get by with it, as it's what ALOT cosplayers use as it is the cheap floor mats... 1/8th and less is getting to thin and will bend on its weight like paper.

TurboCharizard and Dirtdives like this.
  22. Elcorio

Elcorio Member

Here ya go. A visual reference: 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2"

Now get the foam and get going trooper! :D 20190207_211934.jpg 20190207_211957.jpg

23. Chisum

Chisum New Member

Take your time, mistakes will be made. Took me more than a few builds before I got my first one down. 405th members and you tube videos are your friend. People here are always willing to give a hand and/or advice.

24. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

My entire Reach Mk VI is made of 1/4 inch. If it's too thick, it will be difficult to get the details you want, so 1/4 it's my thickness of choice. Don't get me wrong though, 1/2, 3/8, all these have a place. I find it easier to add details with those 38 cent foamies from walmart.

Don't get down on yourself or give up. That's not the 405th way! lol We are the most supportive community I've seen on the internets, we're here to help.

25. TurboCharizard

For the sake of being contrarian with everyone being helpful I volunteer to be the one who critiques you harshly under the guise of being unsupportive but in reality I'll be really proud of your progress and gained skills. Think of me as your grumpy cosplay uncle.