Hi 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I2aMpAnT

Very new member here, been lurking for a bit after my kids told me they want me to be Master Chief for Halloween this year and I can't half ass a request like that. So I finally ended up grabbing a budget 3D Printer (Ender 3 Pro) and have done a few successful test prints already.

Backing up, I'm a 28 year old Marine Corps vet with 3 sons (11,5,4) who's been a HUGE halo fan since H1 and played way too many hours of H2 and H3. I have recently even begun reading the Halo books on the free time my government contractor job leaves me on night shifts!

I'll be using the Halo 3 MkVI from MoeSizzlac and the helmet he suggests from RainyFire and then going from there!

Looking forward to posting some progress pics as often as I can as I have greatly enjoyed watching others progress even on repeat builds, everyone seems to have different techniques or methods of doing it their own slightly different way!

Daniel "I2aMpAnT" Nugent

Xbox Live - x I2aMpanT x

Welcome to the 405th! Lots of people are interested in 3d printing lately, and I'm sure even more are interested in seeing what you accomplish :)

Hello there! Great to have you aboard!

I'm not much for knowledge with 3D printing, but to be finished by Halloween you got a lotta work! I am super stoked to see this come out and can't wait to see more progress!

Not to lend you a cheat sheet on your first project, but TurboCharizard knows what he's doing with 3D printing or foam, for sure. His suits are epic. To be fair, there are a lot of people around here with a wealth of knowledge, so please feel free to ask around!

He's definitely one of the ones I've been paying a lot of attention to!
171562F7-B9B2-4AF0-9974-BAC308123AE5.jpeg

Ending a late night with leaving a hand piece printing. Wanted to stay up to see it come off supports and onto the solid structure which was around Layer 70 (14mm). This is incredibly interesting for sure!
D4258202-8AD2-4F7E-9CA4-748097C8807B.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not patient enough for pepakura, that's for sure. At least I can play Halo while I watch the 3D printer running!
You mean sanding while the 3D printer is making more things to sand :p

I've made two fully printed suits (one for a 5'9" me and one for a 4'11" CplYapFlip) and even though ~40 machine days of printing for a full suit is a long time, the dozens and dozens of hours spent on cleaning up to make it feel like heavy duty space age plating and not something made by a hot-glue robot is the real time sink so if you can jump on it early take advantage of it. I have a detail sander and a rotary tool that make it fairly easy but two weeks of 6-8 days of sanding after a normal work day gets tiring. Don't be a dofus like me and con-crunch.

You mean sanding while the 3D printer is making more things to sand :p

I've made two fully printed suits (one for a 5'9" me and one for a 4'11" CplYapFlip) and even though ~40 machine days of printing for a full suit is a long time, the dozens and dozens of hours spent on cleaning up to make it feel like heavy duty space age plating and not something made by a hot-glue robot is the real time sink so if you can jump on it early take advantage of it. I have a detail sander and a rotary tool that make it fairly easy but two weeks of 6-8 days of sanding after a normal work day gets tiring. Don't be a dofus like me and con-crunch.
Yikes. I Actually like the texture of the layer lines but just joining all the sliced pieces with glue and a 3D pen are going to take a lot of time for sure. Especially since I’ve never worked with this material.

My first disappointment, waking up to a new bird nest on my desk

Worst thing is since I stayed up so late, I didn’t have any time to restart the print before I left for work.
View attachment 275534
There's a few locals (myself included) that have printed handplates and these things seem to be cursed to fall over on average. Laying them flat uses a bit more filament with support on the back of the plate but it is far more stable.

My first disappointment, waking up to a new bird nest on my desk

Worst thing is since I stayed up so late, I didn’t have any time to restart the print before I left for work.
View attachment 275534
Ah, the dreaded spaghetti. Been there, friend. Personally, I printed my hand plates flat as well, which ended up quite well! :)

There's a few locals (myself included) that have printed handplates and these things seem to be cursed to fall over on average. Laying them flat uses a bit more filament with support on the back of the plate but it is far more stable.
hmmm, you thing that’s why the print is failing? I even tried with a raft and had an almost immediate fail.

Ah, the dreaded spaghetti. Been there, friend. Personally, I printed my hand plates flat as well, which ended up quite well! :)
Sooo I'm almost done with a "successful print" of one of the hand-plates lying down as you said, but damn the quality in the reproduction of the details was 100x better when oriented the other way :(

Sooo I'm almost done with a "successful print" of one of the hand-plates lying down as you said, but damn the quality in the reproduction of the details was 100x better when oriented the other way :(

You could cut the plate and print 2 flat pieces upwards.

Untitled.jpg

See attached Zip file if you don't know how to slice.

Attachments

• Moe-Halo3-Hand.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 276
You could cut the plate and print 2 flat pieces upwards.

View attachment 275622

See attached Zip file if you don't know how to slice.
I might redo them this way. The quality difference is severe.

EDIT - Actually I don’t want to slice anymore than I have to. Could you place the L and R back to back to each other close enough that they support each other?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back