Holy Crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loled at the title when I saw it was a Crusader.

Somebody has to have made a costume of that though for a Renfest or something. Maybe ask Brutus if he's ever seen one.

Are you familiar with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)? Chances are you have a local group near you and if you are intererested in period costuming you should check them out. You will find that many enthusiasts have rigs that can put that picture to shame (and they are used for full contact combat - none of that weenie role-playing, "foam-weapon" nonsense).

Definately worth checking into...

SCA

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Knights Hospitaller
Not where I got the image from, but... it's freaking epic.
[attachment=9822:Knights_...pitaller.jpg]
That would quite possibly be one of the most badass costumes ever.

An easy build... but then again try this site. They have everything you need to complete the look, and offer great quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
none of that weenie role-playing, "foam-weapon" nonsense).

Lol reminds me of the movie Role Models lol.

That looks pretty sweet!!

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Haha, thanks guys. I think it's a combination of the color scheme, the epic stance, the general badassery of the tattered, flowing robes, and the huge banner. XD I'll look into this, if my passport application went in too late, I'm going to have a LOT of free time while my family's in China... lol

EDIT: The Arador site's really helpful, thanks Loess. The Great Helm's pattern they have is a bit different from the pic I have there, but I'm pretty sure I can make up for that.

The tunic link is cool as well, Brutus, but unfortunately, I can't afford 180 dollars for a tunic like that, especially since I (with skills from my 8th grade home ec class XD) might be able to sew up one of my own. Besides, the tunic's a little different with that pic I had in mind, and I kinda want to stay true to the picture I've got (even if it's fanart, it'd still look godly)

Thing is, though, I probably won't be using 16-gauge steel to do this... I'm no SCA fanatic or anything, I don't feel like doing an actual battle. I just think it'd make a really great costume. If I have the time (and I happen to get a job), then I'll consider making one out of steel, but for now, I'll stick with the tried-and-true method of Cardstock+resin+bondo. Call it blasphemy if you will, but it's the best I can do.

EDIT EDIT: Haha, Sigma, I just understood your statement about the title and the crusader. I did not consider that at all :p

If you're looking to make the coat, this book should help. You should be able to modify the patterns in here (the book even teaches you how), and come out with a similar garment.

Loess said:
If you're looking to make the coat, this book should help. You should be able to modify the patterns in here (the book even teaches you how), and come out with a similar garment.

It doesn't seem too hard to make even without the garment book (again, I have limited monetary resources, so buying any kind of reference materials such as that or buying any amount of 12- or 16-gauge steel is out of the question), but I'll drop by say, Barnes and Noble (live right behind one) and take a look at it. Thanks.

Burtus, if only these guys could come to the RenFest, or Scarburough Fair, I really think they'd crap themselves...LOL
Only in TEXAS boys... We do it bigger, we do it better, and usually at reasonable prices...lol

Newspartancreator said:
Burtus, if only these guys could come to the RenFest, or Scarburough Fair, I really think they'd crap themselves...LOL
Only in TEXAS boys... We do it bigger, we do it better, and usually at reasonable prices...lol

Ummm...no..... :cool:

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Texas but you guys are playing in a whole different league down there.... :lol: Imagine 10-12,000 people on-site (requiring it to be declared a legal "town" with it's own mayor for the duration) and battles with THOUSANDS of people on the field, with half of them trying their best to beat you into submission...

postcard2.jpg

016_15A.jpg

melee.jpg

aerial.jpg

postcard.jpg

Pennsic War

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Texas but you guys are playing in a whole different league down there.... Imagine 10-12,000 people on-site (requiring it to be declared a legal "town" with it's own mayor for the duration) and battles with THOUSANDS of people on the field, with half of them trying their best to beat you into submission...

HOLY SH....

I WANT TO FIGHT THERE SO BAD!!!

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

rube said:
Why do the guys in back have coconuts? And why aren't they on horses?
</sarcasm>

Pretty crazy armor. I've got some patterns that I want to try to form when I hit up the forge at a camp this summer. It won't be as epic as all those guys, but it sure will be more than enough epic for me.

DogWizard said:
Ummm...no..... :cool:

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about Texas but you guys are playing in a whole different league down there.... :lol: Imagine 10-12,000 people on-site (requiring it to be declared a legal "town" with it's own mayor for the duration) and battles with THOUSANDS of people on the field, with half of them trying their best to beat you into submission...

Pennsic War

Images removed. But that would... that would be quite fun, tbh. Painful towards the end, but quite fun

OP, try finding a Ren Faire or some local fighting company (Amtgard, Belegarth, Dagohir, SCA, or whatever else kids are doing these days). They all make garb of some kind. You can find crafters who will do commissioned work there. It's hard finding blacksmiths and leatherworkers in the phone book...hehe.

DogWizard said:
You will find that many enthusiasts have rigs that can put that picture to shame (and they are used for full contact combat - none of that weenie role-playing, "foam-weapon" nonsense).
Definately worth checking into...

SCA

There's nothing wrong with foam sports; those games are fun =\. It just appeals to different people.
There is, I can agree, something *very* wrong with the socially defunct trying to role play. This truth transcends genres. Read: Narutards. God those kids drive me insane!

The foam role playing actually looks kind of fun, especially since I'm accident prone and am not allowed to do SCA stuff cus of it. Live with the parents follow their rules. I saw some of the roleplaying at the park where I play frisbee/disk golf with my dad. It was quite interesting.

Vexona said:
There's nothing wrong with foam sports; those games are fun =\. It just appeals to different people.
There is, I can agree, something *very* wrong with the socially defunct trying to role play. This truth transcends genres. Read: Narutards. God those kids drive me insane!

Now I almost feel bad...almost... :p

You're right - whatever you enjoy and floats your boat. The difference with the SCA is that the role-playing is supposed to be based on adopting the persona of someone from an actual period in history. In my limited experience, many of the other groups seem to have a much higher ratio of "socially defunct" participants (as you so eloquently put it). There is a much slimmer chance of running into an immortal-goth-klingon-vampire-paladin-elf dressed in red pleather and named "draco-bloodwrath-something" in the SCA. Not that I haven't run into my fair share of "specials" - they are always on the fringe of any group. ;)

Do what you want to do, just have fun with it. After all - who am I to judge? I'm just a middle aged guy who dresses up as a video game character...:lol:

(My sincere apologies to any immortal-goth-klingon-vampire-paladin-elves dressed in red pleather and named "draco-bloodwrath-something")

(LOL sorry OP...I am going off on a tangent here)

DogWizard, what you are talking about (the bad LARP malady) sounds like Nero (which we sadly have around here also). Those are the kids that role play as literally *whatever* (like...anything!) i.e. those Vampire-elf-alien-narutards lol. Amtgard and Belegarth are supposed to have strict, legit historical personas like SCA (Dagohir is Middle Earth based at least, I think). I know Amtgard has a monarchy system like SCA. Nero...well...I don't know how they stay organized exactly. All I gathered was that they were expensive to join (prohibitively) and the local kids there were verrrrrry...odd.

Kaya Tetsu said:
The foam role playing actually looks kind of fun, especially since I'm accident prone and am not allowed to do SCA stuff cus of it. Live with the parents follow their rules. I saw some of the roleplaying at the park where I play frisbee/disk golf with my dad. It was quite interesting.

That's funny...my husband plays with a group at a frisbee golf course! It's how we met back in highschool. We're in the Tri-Cities, but we know other groups if you wanted an introduction to other TN sword games! In a similar topic, there's always that RenFair in Rogersville. That's a pretty fun time too.

Sorry! LOL. if anyone else has help regarding the cool costume, please continue ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back