How Can I Cut Faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

City Static

Jr Member
I have a lot of experience with Pepakura, but the cutting process always takes forever. Is there a way I can make the cutting process quicker, such as a method or something?

i believe there a printer that does it for you called craft robo, you can buy from tama soft. some thing like that

I don't know if there is. I highly dought it.

All I know is you can make the model smoother so you don't have to score the pieces as much, and that saves time. If you have Pep Desinger 3, just go to the little picture at the top of the page that has the 3 coloured pencils on it (If you let your mouse hover hver the image, a thing should pop up saying "Set Edge Color Ctrl+E"). Click that, and a little window should come up. On the bottem Right hand corner there should be a little bar that has a little line on it. That is a scale. Just over top of that, it has a number. It could say anything from 0-180. Use your mouse to make that number in the box go down to inbetween 153 and 165. Make sure the little box that says "Hide Edges almost Flat" is clicked and has a check mark. Now click OK and you have a smoother model. Trust me, it makes things alot faster.

Hope that helps.

CHEERS!

jim. said:
Don't use an exacto knife, use scissors.

Disregard above post for obvious reasons.

cutting takes alot of time for me also, so I cut and glue as i work. It makes it feel faster becuase it gives you a break from cutting.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did a few pep pieces a while back, I found after a while that the tabs were just getting in my way when gluing. I started cutting the tabs off which works much better with the way I glue. It would probably reduce your cutting quite a bit to print stuff off without the tabs and go from there. Try it with a small piece like the hand plate to see if works for you first. I doubt that my method works for everyone.

I use a hot glue gun by the way with a metal tip. I also cut rough outlines of each piece with scissors before cutting out the details with an exacto knife.

a downside to the craft robo, is that, if you have very thin pieces, then go to trace the fold lines, you could bend the piece in a wierd way (I know what I said sounds confusing, but I didn't know how to explain it). Thus making the part too flimsy to use. It's happened to me before, and that's why I always trace the folds before cutting the piece.

One way to speed up the process, is to, go extremely fast on the tabs. There is no need to be precise with the tabs.

Sherm said:
a downside to the craft robo, is that, if you have very thin pieces, then go to trace the fold lines, you could bend the piece in a wierd way (I know what I said sounds confusing, but I didn't know how to explain it). Thus making the part too flimsy to use. It's happened to me before, and that's why I always trace the folds before cutting the piece.

One way to speed up the process, is to, go extremely fast on the tabs. There is no need to be precise with the tabs.

I was just planing on using Craft Robo to cut the outer edges. I can do the scoring and what not. ;)

City Static said:
I do use scissors.

There's your problem. Get a craft knife. Experience super-fast, super-accurate cutting and scoring without the need for the snip-snip-snip.

Crucible said:
There's your problem. Get a craft knife. Experience super-fast, super-accurate cutting and scoring without the need for the snip-snip-snip.

Nah, I'll just buy a craft robo. I'm lazy, and I'll just let a machine do my work.

ya the one other down side to craft robo is it's price so hope you got some spare cash around

Everyone to it's own, right guys?

Personally, I use the pen and ruler trick to score, and scissors to cut. (In that order.)

But other people use an X-acto knife/Craft knife for there cutting and possibly scoring, and I remember people using a CNC machine for the cutting as well.

So don't start a flame war on how to cut Pep, cuz that's just really stupid.

No flame war intended. I just thought that we shouldn't be telling people that the method they use is the source of their problem. I agree with you in the fact that people should use whatever they're comfortable with.

If you know anyone with a laser cutter, you can just send them exported dxf files (usually a little cleanup is required), and the machine will do the work. It can get somewhat pricey if you have to pay. The cool thing about a laser cutter is it can score all the fold lines and it's very clean.

I'm always searching for faster ways. I just need an auto fold/auto glue machine now:)

City Static said:
I have a lot of experience with Pepakura, but the cutting process always takes forever. Is there a way I can make the cutting process quicker, such as a method or something?

what I do is I use scissors to get pieces that I want all stacked up and then I use an x-acto knife to cut out the piece and then I glue the piece to the model. It goes by really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back