How to enhance models based on model textures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hekok

So I've been attempting to enhance the models of the Achilles set of which I plan to make on Pepakura, but I've really only dabbled a bit on Blender and didn't want to make the armor inaccurate. The post of Enhancing models by Chernobyl didn't do much to help as it never showed how to enhance models. Anyone else got an idea as to how to enhance models based on the texture?

The texture seems fine, but the model itself doesn't have bump mapping or etc. to show the accurate details of the full set. If no one knows how to enhance models through Blender, can someone recommend me a program that can at least allow the control, normal, and color textures to mesh altogether (and is free)?

Capture.PNG

Enhance, as in defining and placing more details.
The models are not detailed to show the grooves, edges, and lights that are shown in the armor, with the low poly model shown compared to the actual model (with bump mapping and more):
Capture1.PNG
achilles.jpg

A lot of those extra grooves and details you'll have to add yourself when getting ready for printing. Blender can do it but it takes a lot of time. You can still manage good results without adding details.

This is Locke's helmet before and after:

Untitled.jpg

I am able to manage decent details by manipulating the model "as is" in Blender. Is that what you are looking to achieve?

Start with this video to give you an idea of how to make details pop:

Basically, with blender, you use Modifiers like Mirror, Subdivision, and Solidify to make a model look good and minimize your work.

I'll see about that. Checked through Blender as to how to enhance models from normal maps and such, I'll give an update when I give it a try.

Last edited:
With a out of town break and a day of laziness, I finally put the displacement map and normal map, which did define most details. However, a couple of those line features are not present even after doing the process.

The problem now is that some of the details are missing, such as the forearms, biceps, and more. I'll use the forearm as an example and compare it to the in-game model to show what I mean:

As you can tell, the grooves on the forearm isn't present, but most of the detail is shown for other parts of the piece. Maybe I'm having a bit much of a fit for OCD, but is there anyway I could improve on these little details? Trying to get these armor pieces done with little to no problems, but we'll see as I try to get this armor done in one go.

Feel pretty late, but as an update, converted the mesh from tris to quads. Makes things WAY more simpler to edit the model! Hopefully things'll run smoothly by then so i can work on folding this armor by the end of the week.

Feel pretty late, but as an update, converted the mesh from tris to quads. Makes things WAY more simpler to edit the model! Hopefully things'll run smoothly by then so i can work on folding this armor by the end of the week.

What method did you use to convert the tris to quads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back