How to Scale Your Armour- Tutorial V.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

STARTING NOTES:

- All questions regarding scaling you have you can direct towards me. My contact information is as follows:

E-mail: halo99567@yahoo.ca

MSN: xtremetactics@hotmail.com

405th PM: Xtreme TACTICS 101

- Keep this thread clear of ALL questions. If you have a question, contact me via E-mail, PM, MSN or Skype.

- If I am disrespected in any way via E-mail, PM, MSN or Skype, I will not answer your questions, and will block you to avoid further contact. My help is a privilege, not a right.

- If you contact me about scaling, you must have read this tutorial and FAQ in full. If you have not read the tutorial and FAQ, I will not answer any questions until you have done so.

- If you ask for armour scaling advice or use this tutorial or FAQ, I am not to be held responsible for a mis-scaled armour part. That is your own problem to deal with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well everybody, I have seen MANY threads from the new members or "Newbs" on this forum, and it has come to me, we need a clear answer. The question, "How do I scale my armour". The answer, its here.

Before starting the tutorial, I would like to bring a quick note to everybody’s mind. At the bottom of every scaling method, there is a rating. Each rating category means:

Difficulty- The difficulty of the Method (the lower the number, the easier it is).

Accuracy- The accuracy level of the Method (the higher the number, the more accurate it is).

Compatibility- The amount of use the Method has (the higher the number, the more compatible it is).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

METHOD #1

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR THIS METHOD:

- This method is not completely perfect. There is a problem for people who are shorter then 5’9” tall, and anybody who is over 6’5” tall. This is not due to the mathematical equation of the method, it is because of certain ages and heights of humans. Your head is not in proper proportion with the rest of your body because of your growth speed. At birth your head is far larger then it is supposed to be proportion wise to your body, however as you grow your head enlarges slower then the rest of your body therefore at a certain point making your body proportional. This is a completely natural thing, however it does complicate scaling for some members.

If you fall into the category of being shorter then 5’9” (175 cm) or taller then 6’5” (195 cm) do not use this method to scale your helmet. You will be able to scale the rest of your armour correctly, just not your helmet. Use Method #2 or Method #3 to scale your helmet properly.

- If you are building a Hayabusa helmet, it is hard to get an accurate scale using this method. I highly recommend you use Method #2 for a Hayabusa helmet.

- The average height of halo universe helmets are 27cm-30cm (270mm-300mm) in height. The average height of the Hayabusa helmet is 31cm-34cm (310mm-340mm) in height.

-------------------------

Here is how I scaled my armour, and trust me, It has never failed me so far! There are 5 easy steps to successful armour scaling:

Step 1: Printing the figure

Step 2: Finding the height of you and the figure

Step 3: Finding the scale

Step 4: Multiplying the numbers

Step 5: Making a dream a reality!

In a few moments, I will explain each step in detail, but first off, let’s talk materials. You will need:

DSCN1507.jpg

1- A Ruler

2- A Pencil

3- A Piece of Paper

4- A Calculator

5- A Printer

6- Pepakura Designer 3 or higher

If you do not have a printer, use one at your school if possible, or use a friends or family members.

STEP 1- Printing the figure

This step, like all the others is VERY important! You need to find a picture of the armour you are making. But, the armour has to be on a human being, or a video game character. This will not work if you have a bunch of random pictures of each separate armour piece.

For example, I will be using the Weta ODST. Here is the picture I used:

ODST10.jpg

You need to print the picture you will be using. Make sure the picture has the full character in it! Make sure no parts of the figure are cut out of the picture, and the figure is standing straight up. He/she can not be kneeling down, or bent over in any way. Now, print the picture off your computer using your printer.

Once you have the picture printed, it should look like this:

DSCN1506.jpg

STEP 2- Finding the height of you and the figure

For this step you need to have somebody, other then yourself, measure your height in CENTIMETERS, NOT Inches! For example, let’s use my height, 168cm.

Now, If you are still growing taller, add 5-10cm to your height (More on how to determine how much you add to your height in the FAQ section below) so once you have finished your armour, you should be able to fit in it nicely, and continue to fit into it nicely for some time afterwards. The 5-10cm also takes into account the added height of the bottom of the characters boots, and the added height of the characters helmet.

After adding the 5-10cm to my height I’m roughly 175cm tall. Using the ruler, measure the height of the figure in your picture. For example, let’s say the figure in the picture is 25.2cm tall.

06-30-2009035721PM.jpg

STEP 3- Finding the scale

In order to find the scale, you have to divide the height of yourself by the height of the figure in the picture. My height is 175cm, and the figures height is 25.2cm. So 175/25.2=6.9555. Now, if you get a very long decimal, just round it off. My number was 6.9555, so round it up (Or in some cases down) to 7, or just keep it at 6.9. For me, 7 is the magical scaling number. Now, draw this out on your piece of paper with the figure printed on it clearly so you can read all this information in the future.

06-30-2009035652PM.jpg

STEP 4- Multiplying the numbers

For this step, measure a piece of the armour in the picture you printed off. For example, let’s use the helmet. For me, the helmet on the figure in the picture is 4cm tall. Now, take your magical scaling number, and multiply it by the height of the armour piece in the picture. My magical scaling is 7, and the height of the helmet on the figure in my picture is 4cm. So, I multiply 7(Magical scaling number)x4(Height of helmet in picture) to get 28(Height of the helmet you are making). Therefore, 7x4cm=28cm. Now, if you’re using Pepakura Desinger 3, you need to convert to mm from cm. In order to do this, take the height of your armour piece, and move the decimal one decimal place to the right. If the height of your piece is a nice round number, for example, 28cm, you should get 280mm. If your piece isn’t a nice round number, such as 28.6cm, move the decimal one place to the right, and you will get 286mm.

06-30-2009035320PM.jpg

STEP 5- Making a dream a reality

Input the height of the armour piece you just scaled (AKA for me, the helmet) into the Pepakura Designer you own.

Print the pieces off, and pep the piece. Once finished peping, the helmet or what ever piece you just printed off using this scaling method, it should fit perfectly. Do this by opening your Pepakura Designer 3, click on "2D Pattern Window", then go down the list to "Change the Scale of Development". From there, click on "Specify Scale", and input the number into the height box. From there, all of the other numbers should snap into proportion with the height.

DSCN1489.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

Remember, if you have the right picture, you can scale any piece of any costume to be perfect for you.

RATINGS (out of 10):

Difficulty- 4/10

Accuracy- 9/10

Compatibility- 10/10

Overall- 9/10

METHOD #2

First you will need a few decent reference pictures. For demonstration purposes, I will be using an in-game screen-shot of the Master Chief in his legendary armour for the scaling of FlyingSquirls MK.VI Torso:

1masterchief.jpg

For this method, you will need:

1-Yourself
2-Another Person
3-A Measuring Tape (Preferably a body measuring tape)
4-Your Reference Pictures
5-A Printer
6-Pepakura Desinger (Any version)

Now, there are 3 easy steps to scaling your armor using this method.

STEP 1- Measure up
STEP 2- Type in the numbers
STEP 3- Print, Pep, Smile

Now, let’s get started!

Well, there’s no better place to start then the First step- Measure up. For this grab your friend or second person, and hand them the measuring tape. Now, have them measure the height, width or depth of the area of your body that will have the armour piece you are scaling on. For example, I will be using Flyingsquirls MK.VI Torso. For this specific piece, have your partner measure from one of your arm-pits to your other arm-pit and add 2cm-5cm for padding, and fiberglass. For me, the width (Arm-pit to arm-pit) was 39.2cm. If you are making another piece, look at your reference picture(s) to find the basic where abouts of where the piece lies, and how bit it should be on the body.

Now for the second step-Type in the numbers. For this step, take the number you just got (for me, 39.2cm or 392mm) and input it into the scaling table. Do this by opening your Pepakura Desinger of choice, clicking on "2D Pattern Window", then going down the list to "Change the Scale of Development". From there, click on "Specify Scale", and input the number. from there, all of the other numbers should snap into proportion:

205_0537.jpg

And finally, the Third step: Print, Pep, Smile. Simply make sure all of the pieces of the armour are within the dotted lines, and make sure everything is scaled to your calculations. Click "Print" and watch the Cardstock go into the printer blank, and come out with all of the solid lines, dotted lines, dots and numbers. From there pep the armour piece, and there you go. Ready for resin, Fiberglass/Slush Casting/Hot Glue:

DSCN1418.jpg

Now, just a warning, this scaling method is NOT always the best to use. It sometimes will take 2-3 tries to get the piece peped to your liking. Also remember that both of these scaling methods are not perfect. They both have some problems, and some people will like one more then the other. Just remember you can mix and match these two scaling methods to your liking.

RATINGS (out of 10):

Difficulty- 8/10
Accuracy- 5/10
Compatability- 8/10

Overall- 7/10

METHOD #3

Before starting, I would like to say this method is ONLY for MK.VI armour scaling. It will not work for anything else.

Now, there are 4 simple steps to do this method:

STEP 1-Find your height
STEP 2-Scale the file
STEP 3-Pathways
STEP 4-Copy and past
STEP 5-Print, pep, and try her on for size

For this method, you will need:

1-Pepakura Desinger 3
2-Robogenisis’ pep files
3-Your pep files of choice
4-A printer

Now, First step-Find your height. For this step, simply have a friend measure you from head to toe in inches (you MUST be measured in inches).

For the Second step-Scale the file, get Robogenisis’ MK.VI pep files from the Costume Wiki. When you open them, they should look something like this:

CADPAT.jpg

Now, this is where you change the scale. Do this by clicking on “2D Pattern Window”. Now, go down to “Change the scale of development”. Then click on “Specify the scale”. Once you click on that, a small box should show up in the center of your page. The scaling number for all of Robogenisis’ files scale should read 86.000000. Now, take your height in inches (for example, I’m 71 inches tall) and replace the “86” with “your height”, Example “71.000000”

BR55HBSRbattlerifle2.jpg

Now onto the Third step-Pathways. From here, you could simply click “OK” and print the file, or you can move onto the Fourth step.

If you have chosen to move to the Fourth step-Copy and past, then you have chosen to make a higher detailed pep file. I do not recommend a noob to pepakura do this.

For this step, simply download a higher detail file. For me, this is Flyingsquirl’s HD MK.VI Torso. Now, simply copy and past the height of the part you scaled from Robogenisis’ pep file into the scaling table of your other pep file of choice.

BR55HBSRbattlerifle.jpg

Click OK, and move onto the next step.

Finally the Fifth step-Print, pep, and try her on for size. Simply print and pep the part you decided to make.

RATINGS (out of 10):

Difficulty- 10/10
Accuracy- 9/10
Compatability- 2/10

Overall- 7/10

F.A.Q

--------------------

Q:
I can’t seem to scale my armour in Pepakura Viewer. What is wrong?

A:
You can not scale in Pepakura Viewer. You need Pepakura Designer to open and scale the armour you choose to make.

-----------------------------

Q:
Can I just print the file as it is? Or is scaling it essential?

A:
Scaling is essential if you plan to wear the armour. NEVER skip the scaling of your armour!

------------------------------

Q:
Can you scale my armour for me?

A:
No. Scaling armour is a long winded operation, especially if I scale your armour, and it does not fit you. There are always mistakes made, even by myself. The only person who can scale your armour is yourself. Why? Because you are right there with yourself, and you have all of the reference you need, IE: your body.

Q:
Can you help me scale my armour?

A:
Yes. But, I need to know how tall you are, what costume you plan to build, and your build (body size, weight, and any other description you can provide me.) I can not guarantee a perfect fitting costume for you first try. That is one of the downfalls of having somebody you don’t know in person help you with scaling armour.

Q:
Where do I input the scaling number after I have done all of my math/measurements?

A:
This is mentioned many times in my tutorial.

For Pepakura Designer 3: Go to the top of your page, and click on “2DPatternWindow”. Then go down to “Specify the scale”. Once you click on that, a small box should show up in the center of your page. Type your final number you got into the box titled. If you measured/calculated the height of the piece, put the number in the height box. If you measured/calculated the width of the piece, put the number in the width box. If you measured/calculated the depth of the piece, put the number in the depth box. If you measured/calculated the scaling number of the piece, put the number in the Scale box.

For Pepakura Designer 3.1 (or 3.16): Go to “2D Menu”, and down to “Change Scale”. Then go over to “Scale Factor”. From there, do what is instructed in the paragraph above.

Q:
Is there a way to adjust all three measurements separately, height, width and depth?

A:
No, not in Pepakura Designer. If you wish to change all three measurements separately, you must know your way around a 3D modeling program, and you must edit the model to have those dimensions, then upload it to Pepakura Designer.

However, be sure you have the original modelers permission before doing this!

Q:

I built my helmet/armour part, but it is too small, and I followed your scaling tutorial to the letter. What can I do to fix my helmet/armour part?

A:
There is nothing you can do to fix your helmet/armour part. If it is too small to fit you, and you have nobody you wish to sell/trade/give it to, you might as well scrap it and start over.

Q:
I printed my helmet but the parts look too small. What do I do?

A:
There is no way to tell if the helmet is too small before assembly. Just assemble the helmets opening at the bottom of the helmet. If you can not fit your head through the hole, even after trimming the inside of the rim of the helmet, the helmet will be too small. I suggest you scrap the helmet and re-scale it.

Q:
I printed my helmet, and did what you advised in the answer above. My helmets hole was too small. I don’t want to waist cardstock, so can I print the newly scaled helmet on the other side?

A:
Yes. It is always best to save cardstock, money, and trees.

Q:
Is there a “One-size-fits-all” helmet size?

A:
No. Every helmet/armour part should be scaled for the person who is going to wear it.

Q:
I am still growing taller, how do I anticipate my growth from now, to a few months after I finish my costume?

A:
It completely depends on how tall you are right now, how long your project will take to build, and how old you are. If you are a 15 years-old, and are 5’8” tall with tall, 6’-something parents, you have some growing to do. If you plan to have the costume done in a year, and have it last 6 months after words at least, plan to grow anywhere from 2”-4” in height. Go for the height in between 2“ and 4“, 3”.

Q:
How to I switch from Letter to A4, and vise versa?

A:
Simply before printing, go to “Settings”, then go down to “Printer and paper settings…”. After you click on it, a box will show up in the middle of your screen. At the top of that box, there will be a line that says “Paper size”. Beside that, it will say Letter, or A4. Simply click on that “Letter” or “A4”. Change it when the options come up (the options come up when you click on it). After that, you must re-arrange the parts lay-out to fit onto the pages. The pages edge is shown with a dotted line in a grid form on the page.

Q:
My parts are too big to fit inside of the pages. What do I do?

A:
Simply go to your tool bar, and click on the divide/connect faces tool (This has a small icon of a zipper). Now, simply hover your curser over the area of the part that you wish to cut. When the edge of your choice becomes green, left click, and the piece will separate into two separate pieces. If there is more then one fold from one edge to the other, "cut" the part all the way along that line, or that series of lines.

If there are two parts you wish to join, simply hover your curser over the edge of a flap. A red line should appear on the flaps fold. There will also be a red arrow going from that piece, to the piece that connects to it. Now, double left click, and the pieces will join together at that fold.

Well, that’s it for the tutorial and FAQ. I hope this has been of some help.

WHAT’S NEXT?

A common misconception among inexperienced costumers is the order of how to do the pepakura process. The following list is in order of what you do from start to finish to finish a pepakura armour part.

- Download the pepakura file
- Open the pepakura file in Pepakura Designer
- Scale the pepakura file to your body
- Print
- Cut, score, fold
- Glue pieces together
- Apply resin to inside and outside of armour
- Apply fiberglass to inside of armour
- Apply Bondo Autobody Filler for detailing, and sand (Continue until you are satisfied)
- Use Spot Putty to fill tiny imperfections
- Prime
- Paint
- Weather
- Clear coat

Anyway, that’s it for this tutorial.

Good luck, and stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Last edited by a moderator:
Wel.. waiting for the next post to complete tu new tuto
and its a privilege to me.. be the first to say.. Thanks a lot, for your time and your tutorials
many here couldn't make their dream without your help!

Thank you XT101 for putting your tutorial back up, yes I am a nooby but I got to start somewhere right? Im greatful its back up, as I was saying before my pep. ODST helm. came out too small, but I feel a lil better now that I can start again and have your notes to back me up, thanks bro

I seriously think that once Xtreme gets the other metods posted, this should be stickied and locked. That way the methods are there for everyone to see and use, and the thread won't get overrun with questions. I've used his method #1 many times with a lot of success.

I'm new to Pepakura and scaling. I'd like to make a Noble 6 Helmet ready for the launch of the game on September 14th and I was wondering about the measurements. Do I need to measure my full body height or can i just measure my head in order to make my Helmet?

RedWold- As the tutorial clearly states, you need to see the whole figure from head to toe, and measure the figure from head to toe.

Please read the tutorial more then once if you are unsure. The tutorial clearly answers your question.

@SSPO Shotgun Collins

As the tutorial clearly says, please do not post your questions here. E-mail me, or contact me via MSN/Skype with your questions.

In this case, your question would be best answered via MSN/Skype. I will walk you through the proper scaling method that you wish to try out. That method turns out to be the unpublished Method #2 of this tutorial.

Hi Xtreme! I'm taking a commission for another member and fellow Halo sigma team member

I scaled 175/14 and got 12.2

175 is his height and 14 is the height of the Mk.V-B that I scaled from as that was the only full body image I could find.....

is this a correct scale or can you suggest another picture?

He wants a standard Mk.V-B N6 suit

I really can not help you with that Tyvern. Its up to your better judgement.

Anyway, I thought I would give this a little "bump". I've seen WAY too many scaling question threads popping up.

hey xtreme tactics are you going to publish the second and third methods? I've used your first method before but it always results in having to make a couple helmets to get it perfect.

I'm trying to remember your other methods from your old tutorial but can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back