How To Scale Your Armour - Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only enter one measurement. If you try to enter another one, the other measurements will snap into scale with that one. Unless you have a 3D model editor, and know your way around it AND have the original 3D model, you can't adjust all 3 measurements to fit you. You can only adjust one.

So pretty much pick a number that you think can best work for you, or as stated above, it could take a few attempts at the pep to find your magic fit.

I've noticed that while I should be at 318mm, the helmets are just far to large, so I've been toning them down bit by bit to see what works. I've got a 310 and a 305 in the works for an ODST helmet.

When I built my MKVI helmet at 318, it was bigger than a toliet seat, now to me, that just doesn't fly cause it's freaking huge!

But the tutorial does help you figure out what you need and to go from there so I'm greatful for it. Now if it were possible to adjust the rest of the other 2 scales, we'd be all set...but a alas that wont happen.

What I suggest, if the armor seems to large, pad it a bit? Add in some foam cut outs in areas to fill it so it wont shift around to much.

I'm just going to link you all to my FAQ:

Armour Scaling-FAQ

That should answer most of your questions. Just read it, and it will tell you what to do/what not to do when it comes to scaling armour.

EDIT:

I noticed a large bump of scaling question PM's laitly asking me to scale peoples armour for them. I would like to say that I do not scale peoples armour, but I do help people with trouble with scaling.

I also would like to bump this thread because I also noticed a bump of more "How do I scale my armour?" PM's. Apperiently this thread is not doing its job.

Now, I have no other clues on how I can improve this tutorial. I have writen an FAQ (linked to above and in the tutorial), and I continue to add to it. I am now begging for ideas on how to improve the tutorial. So please, take a few minutes and brain storm some ideas for improvement, then either post them here, or PM me with the ideas.

Or is it that some members no longer wish to do the math, and have somebody do it for them. Is this scaling tutorial a waist of space here on the forums, or am I just imagining things?

Thank-you all in advance.

Cheers!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
... Post removed for space reasons...

so i have a question about putting together the pep pieces why cant we put them together with clear tape?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't put your parts togeather with tape in general because when you resin the part, or fiberglass the part, the tape will simply fall off. Basically when the resin hits the tape, the sticky part on the back will desolve, and the model will fall apart before your eyes.

Braveheart52 said:
thanks for the methods :D

I believe Braveheart read it, but I have a topic on taking measurements in feet and converting them to millimeters by multiplying. Simple really. :)

PM's and E-mails are kicking up again, so because this has been burried for the past few days, I thought a bump was needed.

Again, I'm begging for any improvement ideas on this tutorial! I would love to lower the amount of guestion threads, and lower the amount of PM's and E-mails sent my way every day.

So I've done the first method for flyingsquirrel's mark 6 helmet and this was the outcome:

My Height:

191 cm

+10 cm variance

= 201cm

Figure Height:

26 centimeters [I useed the picture mentioned in this thread earlier)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/No-Prisioners_Productions/Masterchief-1.jpg

Helmet's Height: 3,4 centimeters.

results in my "magical numer" beeing 7,73 and the helmet turns out after the math to have a height of 263 mm.

But with a rough "measurement" of my head it would turn out VERY tight. if the helmet should go under my chin around the starting of my throat and around 3-5 cm above my head (for padding). I'd need rougly 32cm (320 mm).

Am I doing something wrong? Did I meassured wrong [either my head or the picture's propotion)? Or should it be THAT tight or does I just have a big head?[tho, it isn't really the case IMO]

I appreciate any answers on my topic. Thanx in advance.

so far

zUkUu

hey one quick question, i am in the procces of making an ar and it is about 55cm (without barrel) and i was wondering, aying i am only 13, will this still be a good size when i "grow up," A.K.A would this be to small for an adult?

zUkUu said:
so I've done the first method for flyingsquirrel's mark 6 helmet and this was the outcome:

My Hight:

191 cm

+10 cm variance

= 201cm

Figure Height:

26 centimeters [useed the picture mentioned in this thread earlier)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz101/No-Prisioners_Productions/Masterchief-1.jpg

Helmet's Height: 3,4 centimeters.

results in my "magical numer" 7,73 and the helmet turns out with the height of 263 mm.

But with a roguh "messurement" of my head it would turn out VERY tight. if the helmet should go under my chin to the neck and around 3-5 cm above my head (for padding). I'd need rougly 32cm (320 mm).

Am i doing something wrong? Did i messured wrong[either my head or the picture's propotion? Or should it be that tight or does i just have a big head?[tho it isn't really the case IMO]

I appreciate any answers on my topic. Thanx in advance.

so far

zUkUu

In my experiance, you only need 2cm padding on the op of your head max, and about 1cm of room for padding just under your chin.

If you read my FAQ (Linked to in the tutorial), you will see how to figure out if your helmet is too small or not before fully peping it.

zach713 said:
hey one quick question, i am in the procces of making an ar and it is about 55cm (without barrel) and i was wondering, aying i am only 13, will this still be a good size when i "grow up," A.K.A would this be to small for an adult?

In a short version of my answer to this, yes, your assault rifle is too small for an average sized adult human. The assault rifle's length is about 87cm with its barrel, and about 77cm without it. So, at 55cm, you are looking at a very small weapon. I would say to go with a minimum of 65cm without a barrel for somebody who is an adult.

I would also prefer it if you both would have PMed or E-mailed me with your scaling questions. Like my tutorial states at the beginning, you can contact me in any way you would like. I would prefer to keep this thread as question-free as possible.

If you want to post a scaling guestion, please ask it in my FAQ thread.

yeah "print out the opening[...]" but which papers / parts should i test print?

scalev116.jpg

Look at the 3D model to the left of the parts box. Then, use the unfolding/cutting tool, and join/disjoin the parts around the opening of the helmet (where the neck it). Once you have done that, move all of the parts you are not printing (all parts but the helmets opening parts) out of the printing area (where ever the white box with the dotted-line grid is). Then, once you have joined/disjoined the parts to fit to the page(s), print away and pep it. If you can slide your head through that hole without much resistance, the helmet should fit well. Just be sure to get rid of the inside of the rim of the helmet (those parts that go up and inside the opening of the helmet-you do not need those).

I will also give the scaling a try from scratch. You may be doing something wrong with your measuring.

EDIT:

I have no clue how you got that number, but after doing the math 3 times, I got 30.2cm, 32.6cm, and 31.5cm. So, I guess 31.5cm should be good.

You must have done the measuring wrong, because using the same picture you used, I managed to get those numbers.

which values u did get for the figure height, magic number etc?

I'm curious to find what I did wrong. :)

and after disjoining the parts, they still over all the papers mixed.

Is there a way to select the part's in the 3d model and just delet them? (after disjoin.)

SPARTAN's height- 13.4cm

Your height w/extra- 201cm

Helmet height in picture- 2.1cm

201/13.4= 15

15 x 2.1= 31.5cm

helmet height for you- 31.5cm

I still can't figure out how you got your measurement though.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
SPARTAN's height- 13.4cm

Your height w/extra- 201cm

Helmet height in picture- 2.1cm

201/13.4= 15

15 x 2.1= 31.5cm

helmet height for you- 31.5cm

I still can't figure out how you got your measurement though.

So it might be the way i printed it. Since I'm from europe I used an a4 printer.

So your SPARTAN's height (13.4cm) becomes around 26 cm on an a4 paper. (unless I'm failed at that part^^)

and the helm turns out to be around 3,4 cm. I guess THAT might be the problem. Dunno. But if - it's DEFINETLY worth mentionable in your scaling tut + FAQ.

IF it allrdy is, I'm sorry for the waste of your time :)

Thanxs anyway for your effort :)

zUkUu said:
So it might be the way i printed it. Since I'm from europe I used an a4 printer.

So your SPARTAN's height (13.4cm) becomes around 26 cm on an a4 paper. (unless I'm failed at that part^^)

and the helm turns out to be around 3,4 cm. I guess THAT might be the problem. Dunno. But if - it's DEFINETLY worth mentionable in your scaling tut + FAQ.

IF it allrdy is, I'm sorry for the waste of your time :)

Thanxs anyway for your effort :)

No problem.

Thanks to who ever moved the tutorial to the Pepakura and Cardboard section. I was just thinking weather it was better here in the Pepakura and Cardboard section, or the Noob section.

Also, just a "bump" to try and lower the threads I have seen poping up lately, and to slow down the PM's and E-mails.

[sup][/sup]
Roadwarrior said:
Why hasn't this been stickey'd yet?

Because apperiantly there is supposed to be a Tutorials section coming soon. They said that a few months ago, and nothing has changed... Although according a a few mods this is sticky worthy, nobody has done anything because of the "Tutorials section", but I don't see a tutorials section coming for another year or so at this pont...

Ok, I'm having trouble scaling things with Pepakura. I'm 6 feet tall and slender. When I try to scale the armor up for me, the parts get too big and flood the pages. I am a complete noob to Pepakura and was wondering if I would have to completely unfold my own (at least attempt to) or if there is an easier method that is well hidden on the forums. The model I'm using is 26cm in hight and the scale ratio I got for myself was roughly 7.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4319497759_b207fb28bb_b.jpg

Just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back