HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, it's cool. But a lot too expensive, just for display a HUD.

I think I'll just paint one... ^^

I would use this stuff not for displaying a HUD but for playing games. Imagine, put your X360 in the backpack, and connect an HDMI cable to the Helmet. And play with your wireless controller, without any tv^^

Yeah, I don't have a military budget. And you guys are taking my picture too literal. You can place it far enough forward that your hair doesn't get in the way.

why not jus put a small lcd screen in there?? they make 1.5 ones. You could even buy a gba micro (currently $49.99) just to rip out and modd the lcd. then run an a/v wire down the back of the helmet to an iopd/zune stored in your backplate?? sure it wouldn't be exactly a hud but you could watch red vs. blue while you walk around.

I think for a really effective HUD to be made, you'll want to go in the direction of reflecting something from a miniture screen onto the inside of the visor. Facing the screen towards your eyes is just going to be too bright, too close, and obscure your view an awful lot.

TaC 04 said:
yeah...good thought tho...brings some imagination out

i actualy had a lazer tag set with sun glasses that had an arm extending from it with a mirror on the end. at the other end of the arm was a very small led, with a plastic cover over it to make a 'hit symbol', 'firing symbol', and a 'shield symbol'

would if you tried this:
visorhuddiagram3.jpg

that what my intention was with that ^^^^

Last edited by a moderator:
well then how about a small lcd screen programed to invert the image, then point it towards the visor for a reflection I.E. see through effect.

Encryption Code: Red

Public Key: NO FILE: SEE CLASIFICATION

To: All UNSC Ships

Subject: OPERATION MJOLNIR

Classification:EYES ONLY TOP SECRET (SECTION III X-RAY DIRECTIVE)

/file extraction-reconstitution complete/

/start file/

Sean Bradley said:
Whatever is used it's going to have to be tiny to fit inside the helmet at the right angle...

why put it inside the helmet? why not put it outside the helmet (think outside the box) you could use something similar to this http://www.webbikeworld.com/heads-up-display/. put it here

mchelmet11.png

and have it shine on the visor. tada!

/end file/

/scramble-destruction process enabled/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has been suggested yet... But I got setup from a friends laser tag set that I noticed awhile ago. Some dinky toy thing...

But anyway, it had 3 diffrent color leds that represented something, Not sure what for though. But the leds were located below the temple when wearing the contraption that went on the head. The Leds would be pointing directly outwards and would hit a mirror angled so the user could see all 3 leds and it was actually pretty cool and worked fairly well. I am not sure if it was 2 diffrent mirrors though.

Ah, While typing this I did a simple search on google for Laser Tag Toy and under images I found it and was actually one of the first results. You can see in the image below where the leds are and that they hit the first mirror really early on and at a angle so it can land on the second one at a proper angle so the user can see it.

lazertag_orange_basic.jpg

Anyways, if you could find a lcd screen small enough and be able to somehow program it this might be possible.

-Doom

I'm a little confused by this effort now. Are we trying to re-create the Halo in-game HUD, or just trying to create a display of some other kind? If so what would be displayed... in other words what would your custom HUD be connected to and displaying? Is this intended to be functional, or purely aesthetic?

:unsure:

I forgot what it was called but a company makes a kit that comes with reflective tape and a unit for windshields on your car. What it does is that the unit would sit somewhere on your dashboard and you would put the reflective (transparent) tape in front of the unit therefore whatever is displayed on the unit would reflect on the tape creating a HUD for your car. If I remember correctly the kit costed about 60 -80 dollars. If anyone has been in a corvette(late 2000) they have a similiar feature which displays your speed or gear. I'll post it on here once I find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back