Hunter Suit -- Where Does It Belong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patch

So I've decided to start a build on a Hunter set of armor, but I have a few questions I want to ask, opinions to receive, etc, but I'm not totally sure where I should post. The Creation Discussion forum has a subtitle which states that I should "read thoroughly on the topic first". And, to an extent, I have. But my problem is, I'm not sure whether I should use pepakura, cardboard etc, and I would rather not crowd necessary forum space with a topic posted in the wrong forum.

So -- Help please?

_patch said:
So I've decided to start a build on a Hunter set of armor, but I have a few questions I want to ask, opinions to receive, etc, but I'm not totally sure where I should post. The Creation Discussion forum has a subtitle which states that I should "read thoroughly on the topic first". And, to an extent, I have. But my problem is, I'm not sure whether I should use pepakura, cardboard etc, and I would rather not crowd necessary forum space with a topic posted in the wrong forum.

So -- Help please?

Well right now you cant create topics in the Creation Discussion Forums, only the Noob Forum
You have to get to a certain post count to be able to post there
So for now the noob section is your best bet.
Can't wait to see pics of the hunter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads-up on the whole "post-count" thing..

Yeh, but it'll be a while before I can A] get pics up and B] start an official thread for it. First off, I have to decide on a medium. I was thinking cardboard+resin. Speaking of which, does anyone know how cardboard reacts to being resin'd?

_patch said:
Thanks for the heads-up on the whole "post-count" thing..

Yeh, but it'll be a while before I can A] get pics up and B] start an official thread for it. First off, I have to decide on a medium. I was thinking cardboard+resin. Speaking of which, does anyone know how cardboard reacts to being resin'd?

Cardboard takes to both resin and fiberglass just fine.

Just stick to the Noob Forum for now as others have stated. If/when your noob status is lifted, the pepkura section should work out nicely for you if you are going to use cardboard/pep.

Also, one other thing. Please don't start a progress thread till you actually have some progress to show (ie - pics). This thread is ok as you are just asking for advice.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the site. If you have any further questions about the site, post them here and/or send myself or another moderator a PM. We'll will try to help as best we can.

Have a nice day.

-Magnum

Thanks all for the info! I've honestly never made armor before, so this is kind of a huge undertaking, but it'll be a three-man team working on it.

Yeah, when my noob status is lifted, I'll start a progress thread. By then, I'll at least have plans drawn up.
Cardboard takes to both resin and fiberglass just fine.
My plan was to fiberglass the inside, resin the out, then prime the outside (as per a tut I read earlier)

_patch said:
Thanks all for the info! I've honestly never made armor before, so this is kind of a huge undertaking, but it'll be a three-man team working on it.

Yeah, when my noob status is lifted, I'll start a progress thread. By then, I'll at least have plans drawn up.

My plan was to fiberglass the inside, resin the out, then prime the outside (as per a tut I read earlier)

Hello fellow noob (ignore my post number, I'm addicted lol) welcome!
Can't wait to see your suit, I recommend pepakura as its easiest to do if your new to crafting things out of cardboard! It seems like longer for less results but the end result is amazing! I would also recommend using hotglue on the inside then resining and fibreglassing the outside using multiple layers of resin (maybe 2 then fibreglass then another 2) then use some sort of filler (bondo in America), then primer it and sand it. Then finally paint it (definitely look at the brilliant tuts in the videos forum) and your done!
Nice to see another noob, I am surprised how many join so often!

SparTom

Unless there is a hunter pep, it's gonna be pretty hard. However, if you know how to model in 3d and such, then you're set I suppose. Most likely, cardboard is a better alternative, for now I believe.

well, there's no open source hunter pep files or shared files, and I suck at 3d modeling, so... But I'm good with cardboard, so that doesn't worry me.

But I am a bit confused: Am I supposed to fiberglass/resin the inside AND out, or just the outside?

ive read where people have resin both sides of the piece (ive never used it, so dont quote me on that)

wasnt there someone else with a hunter project on the forums a while ago? maybe you could get some ideas from his buildup thread. ;)

Have fun,
-John-

A few months ago, I was looking for Hunter references, and came across a 3d file for the hunter. If you look back, you might still be able to find it, but it's not unfolded or scaled. I can't find it at the moment, but it has to still exist somewhere in the internet. Also, most people put one or two coats of resin on the outside of their armor, then fiberglass on the inside, because details on the outside get lost if you apply fiberglass over them.

personally, cardboard would work better for a hunter, mostly because the size and the fact that there are no hunter peps available right now.

on pep/cardboard you should fibweglass the inside, sometimes with 1 layer, or more on bigger pieces, you should know how to do that, cut fibreglass sheet out, stick it to the inside of the piece with resin w/ hardener.

but before that you should do 1 or 2 layers of resin on the outside to prevent it from warping

Zenzeigan said:
personally, cardboard would work better for a hunter, mostly because the size and the fact that there are no hunter peps available right now.

on pep/cardboard you should fibweglass the inside, sometimes with 1 layer, or more on bigger pieces, you should know how to do that, cut fibreglass sheet out, stick it to the inside of the piece with resin w/ hardener.

but before that you should do 1 or 2 layers of resin on the outside to prevent it from warping

alright, thanks, I'll do that. After fiberglassing the inside, then, do I fiberglass the outside?

_patch said:
alright, thanks, I'll do that. After fiberglassing the inside, then, do I fiberglass the outside?

no you do not fibreglass the outside, if you have fibreglassed the inside enough so its strong enough there is no need to do the outside, just resin the outside, however some people like to fibreglass the outside, but this is only reccomended if you have done it plenty times before.

As many people have said and many people have messed up.

Best thing to do is

light coat of resin on the outside
medium coat of resin on the outside
Optionalbutcanbehelpful coat of resin on the inside
fiberglass (with resin anyways) on the inside NOT OUT
bondo
primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back