I apologize for another thread, but I am once again in need of modeling help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniperbaas

I've been working on a custom Kat helm that I just took up again after my vacation. I apologize for the lack of pictures, but I'm having difficulty ensuring that all of the faces are on the outside. (Ctrl-N or Ctr+Shift+N aren't working) The problem is that my model keeps on getting red lines throughout it in pepakura (open edges.) I've tried removing all doubles, shifting the normals to outside, etc, and I have yet to make anything work... So, I come to all the better modelers in a plea to help me fix this.

Thank you,
Sniperbaas

Model Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/zgfwmGp-/Kat_in_Need_of_Editting.html

If you manage to fix it, please tell me what you did, so I don't need to post this again.

you need to merge 2 open edges that are close each other oand close the gap
i will see what it can be done to this model if you can provide with 3ds or obj file

you need to merge 2 open edges that are close each other oand close the gap
i will see what it can be done to this model if you can provide with 3ds or obj file
No, no, that's the wrong kind of open edges... His model is all closed up (minus the bottom of it, since it's a helmet), so there are no edges needing merges (and if there were Pep usually fixes most of them when it's opened), and there are only two true openings that aren't meant to be there.

Now to the point. Sniperbaas, you always keep making those same mistakes! ;) It happened on the other Kat of yours I fixed up a while back, too. You see, there are edges that are made where they aren't needed. If you look at that ridge part on the front of the visor, where it sticks out around the top part of the front, you will see edges that are back behind the outer area. It's kind of difficult to explain, but all in all you put in edges behind the part that would be built. If you don't understand what I mean, look at the red box on the right side of the second picture of post #24 HERE. That is the same mistake you made a few times.

Fixed version: http://www.4shared.com/file/jp21ncxE/Kat_Fixed.html

Once again Chevysrule, I am in debt to you. (Once I find a suitably awesome cookie, I will notify you. ;)) I think that my building half of the model then duplicating, and flipping it is part of the problem... (However, wouldn't both sides have vertices inside the model?) Maybe, I'll switch to something other than helmets for a little bit XD

Thanks again for the help, and now that I know what I'm doing wrong, I'll try to not make that mistake again! :)

Giedrius, sorry I wasn't more clear about what my problem was.

Thanks, for I can now return to modeling!

Once again Chevysrule, I am in debt to you. (Once I find a suitably awesome cookie, I will notify you. ;)) I think that my building half of the model then duplicating, and flipping it is part of the problem... (However, wouldn't both sides have vertices inside the model?) Maybe, I'll switch to something other than helmets for a little bit XD

Thanks again for the help, and now that I know what I'm doing wrong, I'll try to not make that mistake again! :)

Giedrius, sorry I wasn't more clear about what my problem was.

Thanks, for I can now return to modeling!
You're welcome, I'm always glad to help. The best way I know of how to make it mirror properly is to select some or all of the vertices in the area that would become the middle of the helmet, then hit Ctrl SKey,then click "Cursor -> Selection" to snap the cursor to that area, then look at the model with the mirror modifier activated, and if it looks like everything's good (no overlaps, etc.), just hit "Apply Modifier" (while in object mode, of course), and you should be good to go!

Sniperbaas do you want Chevysrule's fixed version posted to the Reach Files Thread?
Let me know and I'll get it in there.

Yours is an easy fix just recalculate normals Ill take a look at the file an let you know if i can fix it

EDIT: Well i tried fixing it recalculating normals fix alot but still have the problem with the one running in the visor an top of the helm.

How did you model it? some times when you dont get the mirror to work correctly it will cause some problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back