I Feel Ripped Off *angry Face*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I feel ripped off, but really it's my fault for not shopping around. I bought my resin a few days ago (last weekish maybe?) and when I bought it, it was expensive!! It was like 40 something dollars for a quart at a local auto store. Well on a site I found it for like 18 dollars for a quart AND free shipping to a local hardware store! Oh my gosh I am frustrated, ITS HALF THE PRICE!! :mad:

What do you all pay for your resin and what size do you get??

WitnessOfTruth said:
Ok I feel ripped off, but really it's my fault for not shopping around. I bought my resin a few days ago (last weekish maybe?) and when I bought it, it was expensive!! It was like 40 something dollars for a quart at a local auto store. Well on a site I found it for like 18 dollars for a quart AND free shipping to a local hardware store! Oh my gosh I am frustrated, ITS HALF THE PRICE!! :mad:

What do you all pay for your resin and what size do you get??
i just got some resin to day it cost only 14 bucks. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jax Archillies said:
12 bucks.

however if you somehow got marine resin or boat resin. its usualy more expensive, and its the good stuff.

I just looked at my bank statement and my total was 42.92 for the resin and 1 sq yd or fiberglass cloth (not mat). If I remember right the cloth was 10 or 12, so I guess that means the resin was like 30...either way thats WAY too much!!

Jax: This is what I got
resin.jpg

WitnessOfTruth said:
If I remember right the cloth was 10 or 12, so I guess that means the resin was like 30...either way thats WAY too much!
Yeah. A pack of fiberglass mat or cloth is only $5.

yea but you also got Evercoat brand. Thats some seriously good product you got there. i used a filler made by them and it was top-notch. i never have a problem paying a little more if the material is of higher-quality.

You definetly got some good stuff, compared to Bondo or Elmers brand. Of course, Evercoat is big in the automotive/show car industry where finish is everything. Quick question, what color is it? the normal dark amber color or did you happen to get clear?

I wouldnt sweat the cost, it was definetly money well spent. Just make sure you mix small batches and dont use too much hardener, you dont wanna waste any of it. :)

Spartan 051 said:
i pay around 80 a gallon but that for smoothcast 300 but 12 bucks for the fiberglass resin

So roughly $20/quart. Is smoothcast 300 a really good brand or something?

SmoothCast300 is made by Smooth-On and its a polyurethane casting resin, not the same as polyester fiberglass resin. And yea its a VERY good brand. :)

MandoMan531 said:
yea but you also got Evercoat brand. Thats some seriously good product you got there. i used a filler made by them and it was top-notch. i never have a problem paying a little more if the material is of higher-quality.

You definetly got some good stuff, compared to Bondo or Elmers brand. Of course, Evercoat is big in the automotive/show car industry where finish is everything. Quick question, what color is it? the normal dark amber color or did you happen to get clear?

I wouldnt sweat the cost, it was definetly money well spent. Just make sure you mix small batches and dont use too much hardener, you dont wanna waste any of it. :)

Its like a pinkish color. When the hardener is mixed in it turns clear though. I'm pretty careful to only mix up small batches at a time. 1-2oz batches. Its kind of annoying working with that little bit at a time tho heh. I go thru alot of tin foil but hey thats cheaper than resin lol

yea you definetly got some GOOOOD stuff. Next time buy a $12 quart of Bondo brand and see which you like better. Sure we all like the price of the cheap stuff, but what you have will be so much nicer to work with.

Just to clarify, i use cheap Bondo brand for my armor myself. But when your working with Evercoat you working with a much superior product. Like i said, its a high-quality automotive material. And talk about durable.

Ill give ya a bit of a hint. go to Wal-Mart or Lowes/HomeDepot and go to the painting section. Find the painting supplies (brushes, rollers, pans, buckets etc.) and they should have these containers that look like a large cup. Theyre graduated, meaning they have fluid measurement markings on them so its easy to get a good reading of how much resin your using. I bought 3 and used the same one for literally months. Once your done resining throw the brush in the cup. after it cures you can flex the cup to break the resin and pull the brush out with all the cured resin, easy cleanup and now the cup is totally clean.

Thats a pretty cool hint mando. I will have to try that. Will be a lil bit before I go to walmart/home depot tho. Main reason being that they are both like 30 miels away lol. My town sucks it's only 4700 people...no walmart...just alot of bars, a grocery store, fast food, kmart and some other stuff ...blah

Ok then maybe this will help you a bit. Heres what youll need.

1. Plastic container. a cheap Tupperware-style will work, preferrably a pint-size, cup shaped container wit ha flat bottom. Even a big clear drinking cup will work.
2. regular household measuring cup
3. permanent marker
4. water.

Simple. Measure 2 ounces of water and pour it into the cup, then mark the water line on the cup. Measure 2 more ounces of water and pour it in, making a total of 4 ounces in the cup and mark again. empty the cup and your done. use the lower line for small batches and the upper line for a bit larger batch. ;)

WitnessOfTruth said:
Thats a pretty cool hint mando. I will have to try that. Will be a lil bit before I go to walmart/home depot tho. Main reason being that they are both like 30 miels away lol. My town sucks it's only 4700 people...no walmart...just alot of bars, a grocery store, fast food, kmart and some other stuff ...blah
i would just stick with the buying online. You get better stuff for the amount you pay and pluse when you tack in the gas then it might come out to the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back