I got this... I'm gonna try SCIENCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was damaged? I looked through the thread but maybe my eyes missed a mention..? It was looking pretty neat so far, I was wondering if the halves of the rifle would line up after rondo/glassing it.

Ah! Thank you Katsu, it has been quite lonely. I was kind of losing some motivation here, I thrive off of attention... >.< The pep was full of Rondo(resin) and it started to rain. I tried to keep the pieces dry, with that hair dryer, but some pieces "magically" warped, like the front of the gun.

488004_719772742778_333829335_n.jpg

I am a little frustrated still that some holes opened up in the roof of the gun, where that fine ribbing is. I was hoping the glue would seal it, but then I started sounding like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj21q1mYmxw&feature=player_embedded

When I found out it was not attached properly (I wasn't patient enough like I was with the helmet [sorry Nobel Sensei])

I haven't had the weather co-operate lately, so I think I may move this jobby to my uncle's garage or maybe back to my parent's... I just don't want that resin smell lingering... arg.

Anyway, thanks for the post there Katsu! I'll try finishing the pep on the chest tonight! ^_^

You've have some great pepping skills.
To answer some of you're other questions.
Warps can be fixed in the early stages by lightly heating and bending/holding it till it cools.
EVA mats work great for armor.

Yeah, try and fix what you can now, the more work you put in now, the less bondo work you do later... and that's a good thing!

The weapon may become a headache, but it will be well worth it when you're done.

You've have some great pepping skills.
To answer some of you're other questions.
Warps can be fixed in the early stages by lightly heating and bending/holding it till it cools.
EVA mats work great for armor.

Cool! I'll try the heating trick for the "middle" area of my whole gun. I am a little embarrassed to show pictures of it, it looks like a huge S instead of an H shape for the gun's walls.

Yeah, try and fix what you can now, the more work you put in now, the less bondo work you do later... and that's a good thing!

The weapon may become a headache, but it will be well worth it when you're done.

Awesome, thanks Katsu! I don't think its a headache just yet, my respirator is still working. (sniff sniff) Yep! I'm not dead yet!

I just hate how I promise my mentor I'd be almost done by now, yet life and the weather gets in the way... why cant' it be easy like resin-ing!? >_<

Speaking of bondo work, major props to Cereal Kill3r's tut on bondo! I will totally get around to trying the "corner" trick of sanding when I get to my chest armor, the pep is 1/2 way done in front of me. I'm feeling confident enough to do a HD version of the chest, but I'm not sure if it will match my helmet. What do you think, my senior Spartans?

I would love to make my armor into an entire character, kind of sticking with the Red vs Blue series, and maybe being a "sibling" character... I will reveal that when the time comes! (sneaky sneaky) Which also I would like to make my helmet "crash-worthy", enough to have me spin on my head... oh the ideas I have. (They drive sensei batty! ^_^)

But for now, gonna go peel off the superglue from my fingers, I think my woman would like me to not stick to her ;)

I think you could either try your hand with a dremel and update your helmet with details, or repep it using what you've learned with this one to make a more HD version, if that's what you're thinking.

My first ODST turned out okay, but the second time around it looked really good until I broke the darn thing. Worst comes to worse, you can always make a new helmet later on, and stick with this one for now, no one will fault you for that.

I think you could either try your hand with a dremel and update your helmet with details, or repep it using what you've learned with this one to make a more HD version, if that's what you're thinking.

My first ODST turned out okay, but the second time around it looked really good until I broke the darn thing. Worst comes to worse, you can always make a new helmet later on, and stick with this one for now, no one will fault you for that.

/agree , but I do want to grab attentions, and at least have something... worthy. Right now, the gun is still warped near the joining point in the middle, so what I may do is take it and just go ahead w/ rotocasting it. Just need the smoothcast 320.... >.>

hey mate. i dont want to be a jerk but i need to tell you that u should maybe work with thinner layers with the rest of your parts especially those without support straps.

It safes ALOT of work even if the initial effort seems to be bigger. but trust me it aint :D

hey mate. i dont want to be a jerk but i need to tell you that u should maybe work with thinner layers with the rest of your parts especially those without support straps.

It safes ALOT of work even if the initial effort seems to be bigger. but trust me it aint :D

Hey pig! thanks for the advice, but I am not sure what you mean by thinner layers. Like thinner layers of resin? I only used two on the gun, and one on the helmet so far. I do understand the general meaning of what you said, though! ^_^

Present in my next post man! Checkit!

EDIT:
So, I stopped being blue, and went back to one of my original projects and got her glued together.

526035_720757209898_1117483731_n.jpg

247209_720757289738_1243673486_n.jpg

306634_720757314688_1638591437_n.jpg

203_720757339638_269002686_n.jpg

550806_720757364588_153560483_n.jpg

Whatcha think? ^_-

I see some improvement at your pep skills. Thumbs up for that mate. scalling looks alright frm what i can see..

What i meant with thinner layers : apply the first coat as thin as u can . witht hat way you prevent warping and after that u can put another layer. but with the first layer u are able to put more resin for the second without making it warp ...

I see some improvement at your pep skills. Thumbs up for that mate. scalling looks alright frm what i can see..

What i meant with thinner layers : apply the first coat as thin as u can . witht hat way you prevent warping and after that u can put another layer. but with the first layer u are able to put more resin for the second without making it warp ...
Righton. Did do that for the first, but i did not want the rain screwing with the second coat... it got moist that night.

Aack! the cold weather hit, anyone know of a few tricks to get resin to cure properly when the weather suddenly turns cold?

All I have is an apartment, no garage, so I'm kinda SOL for a "container to try my armor". I could try a tarp and hair dryer outside, but I don't want to burn down the building... I have a whole bunch of candles though. Any ideas my fellow Spartans??

Aack! the cold weather hit, anyone know of a few tricks to get resin to cure properly when the weather suddenly turns cold?

All I have is an apartment, no garage, so I'm kinda SOL for a "container to try my armor". I could try a tarp and hair dryer outside, but I don't want to burn down the building... I have a whole bunch of candles though. Any ideas my fellow Spartans??

You could always build a hot box. Basically, a hot box is some kind of container (Rubbermaid tub, cardboard box, etc.) that you could enclose the resined pep in, with a heat source put inside. Heat sources could include something as elaborate as a small space heater set to a certain temperature, or as simple as a small lamp with an incandescent bulb or a halogen bulb. I plan on building one as soon as I finish my build so I can continue to build helmets through the winter.

You could always build a hot box. Basically, a hot box is some kind of container (Rubbermaid tub, cardboard box, etc.) that you could enclose the resined pep in, with a heat source put inside. Heat sources could include something as elaborate as a small space heater set to a certain temperature, or as simple as a small lamp with an incandescent bulb or a halogen bulb. I plan on building one as soon as I finish my build so I can continue to build helmets through the winter.

CARP! Thank you suuuper much dude... Would you suggest using Hot Glue(as sealant), Screws, and maybe some kind of Pressure-treated boards? I want to make sure I do this correctly... I have a space heater, but I cannot use it as such. hmm... ideas ideas...

You could go that big, that'd be a great hotbox. But something as simple as cheap rigid insulation and duct tape would work as well (that's what I'm planning on using). Just make sure that the temperature you set won't damage the material you use to build the box. Generally, 80 degrees is more than enough to cure resin/bondo. If you start heating the inside to over 100 deg F, you might start getting into a bit of trouble. Resin's minimum temperature for use is 40 deg F, according to the directions, so you really don't need to heat the box up that much.

wow nice work man you need to work for me! haha jk lol the weapon is looking fabulous!! as is the helmet!! onward and forward!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the update I promised!

So... the helm kinda got blown around... fell into the grass 2x...

2857_722000942448_936672644_n.jpg

580344_722000558218_346696149_n.jpg

197549_722000173988_1628532620_n.jpg

397311_722000518298_1915434622_n.jpg

190382_722000333668_2041490138_n.jpg

GOTCHA... stupid runaway helmet... I put all that "re-enforcing" into you...

190395_722000608118_2037319823_n.jpg

See, Mentor, this is what i meant by it was bending to my left in the rear... funny jokes ensue...

230798_722000667998_1674798960_n.jpg

254434_722000747838_358096898_n.jpg

Took care of the boobies though! ^_^

389568_722000243848_62458729_n.jpg

Then... the bugs appeared... wtf...

404744_722000827678_18899392_n.jpg

227541_722000403528_2054443993_n.jpg

560448_722000902528_404937801_n.jpg

then i was all...
576502_722002688948_1298047693_n.jpg

You could go that big, that'd be a great hotbox. But something as simple as cheap rigid insulation and duct tape would work as well (that's what I'm planning on using). Just make sure that the temperature you set won't damage the material you use to build the box. Generally, 80 degrees is more than enough to cure resin/bondo. If you start heating the inside to over 100 deg F, you might start getting into a bit of trouble. Resin's minimum temperature for use is 40 deg F, according to the directions, so you really don't need to heat the box up that much.

gotcha. I had about 2 inches of a Solo cup filled with resin, and about 5 drops of hardener in there... but its still dripping...

BUUUT... thanks carp!!! Hotbox, do rite?
482896_722000997338_2020324814_n.jpg

See, when I have fu#$-ing time... I can be awesome!

Sweet I might have to incorporate a heatbox for my H4 armor. lol working at it trying to beat the clock. :p nice job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back