I got this... I'm gonna try SCIENCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperB77

Well, hello all! I finally got the balls to start my own thread.

THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE...
Update 7/16/2013: I just got done moving! We should see some new pictures soon!

Now, don't be mad, I got part of this pep done, and finishing up the other.

Here's a map!

MALE

Helm:Resin

Chest:pepped

Biceps:pepped

Forearms:pepped

Gloves:pAINTED

Cod:pepped

Thighs:pepping

Shins:NOWHERE

Boots:NOWHERE

FEMALE

Helm:Resin

Chest:Resin

Biceps:Nowhere

Forearms:Nowhere

Gloves:Nowhere

Cod:pepping

Thighs:Nowhere

Shins:Nowhere

Boots:Nowhere

-------/////////////--------------////////////------------------/////////////---------------////////////------------------/////////////---------------////////////-----

First post! Here are some rough shots of my first armors!

555486_706095701678_846397464_n.jpg

551896_706095746588_1380383468_n.jpg

574477_706095776528_888903667_n.jpg

391233_706095806468_1615217227_n.jpg

So there we go. Let the sticky fingers begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey :)
Glad to see that you made the decision to start your own build !

I would definitely suggest you to install support stripes to prevent the helmet and the other stuff from warping.

Also i unfortunatelly have to admit that the helmet seems pretty big though :$ i dont know . i cant say it clearly

Anyway welcome to 405th and gl with your armour!

Quick question:: I am doing the Halo 3 version of the Mark VI armor with a Mark V helm, and for my lovely woman, I am in the process of applying resin to variant of the Mari VI armor (Lady armor). I would very much like to use foam for the thighs and biceps for both models. Would you recommend the hybrid of "hard armor" of the chests and helms, and then doing the remaining parts in foam?

Hey :)
Glad to see that you made the decision to start your own build !

I would definitely suggest you to install support stripes to prevent the helmet and the other stuff from warping.

Also i unfortunatelly have to admit that the helmet seems pretty big though :$ i dont know . i cant say it clearly

Anyway welcome to 405th and gl with your armour!

You betcha... unfortunately I scaled the helm from the Chief's measurements. Noob Mistake. Corrected that with the chest armor.

(edit!) Oh an thanks for the first post there Pig!

Foam can also release fumes even over time.

I had a college teacher who worked on many props for Star Trek tell me to never use expanding foam on anything that will be near the face. He is very adamant about teaching such things. He also told about a story of them making a moon for the backdrop once out of expanding foam. The prop seemed stable at first, and a women spent days painting it with meticulous details. But it deformed and the foam warped, causing the entire thing to continue to expand, and thus cracking and demolishing the prop into a useless piece, ruining all of her hard work.

I always think back to home construction. You see the expanded foam oozing out of cracks and stuff to sometimes ridiculous degrees, but I don't think it was anywhere near that bad of blowout when they were concealing it, the foam doing what it wanted after the fact.

Some alternatives if Bondo isn't an option, is some stuff I am experimenting with now. I have not used it fully yet, so I can't guarantee to you this will WORK, but it look promising.

So without further or due, here is my dump of alternative costume making methods.

It is very light when cured, lighter than Bondo, but has a lot of tiny air pockets so the final coat would need to be something like fiberglass or oodles of primer to fix that. When working with it, it is very tacky so details are impossible on the first layers.

This stuff has a nice consistency when working with it, and feels air light in the hand. From the demo images it shows it is strong enough to stand on, but light enough to hold with one hand. I used this in the snout of my Skirmisher helmet cast. For the helmet it felt way too heavy considering how much else I have to add to it, but it may have been the thicker plastic that was also down there, so I don’t know if it is really light or adds some heft. Nonetheless you can't work in large amounts at once, so many applications of small chunks.

This option is light, inexpensive, but requires skill and would not really work with the paper craft framework you already have made. Some are using it on the site already, and it can look great with patience and practice.

Here is the other user's thread with it-
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35889-ODST-Foam-WIP-%28Pic-Heavy%29-GySGT-Buck

-----

Elmer's Glue and Cheese Cloth

I have not tried this, and I would NOT recommend it unless you are on a super tight budget, as it could be a total BUST, but I have seen people use cheese cloth, or other thin porous fabric, dipped in Elmer's glue like fiberglass. However many many layers would be needed to thicken enough to sand, and the fabric may make sanding ridiculously silly looking. Glue is also brittle when dried, so if it is dropped or sat on improperly without enough structure it would likely shatter into a sad little mess. So even if you decided to risk things and go with this? Make the hip, thigh, and foot pieces out of something reliable so sitting and walking don’t cause a demolish.

-----​

As with any of these, ordering test/sample amounts may be a good option first, to see if you even like it. The costs also can seem scary on the Smooth-On products, but I try to take into account the pros that go along with it such as the reduced weight and the ridiculous strength. I am not a strong person at all, I don’t want to lug around a heavy costume all day! I tried making Car Bondo hooves once for a minotaur and they just felt like led on my feet.

Either way this was my dump of armor making ideas that I can think of offhand that don’t branch out into the insanely expensive methods of Styrene, Vacu-Forming, and Molding.

Quick question:: I am doing the Halo 3 version of the Mark VI armor with a Mark V helm, and for my lovely woman, I am in the process of applying resin to variant of the Mari VI armor (Lady armor). I would very much like to use foam for the thighs and biceps for both models. Would you recommend the hybrid of "hard armor" of the chests and helms, and then doing the remaining parts in foam?

Its totally up to you ! Foam is much more comfortable but not that hard true dat... but still you are wearing it to show off a bit . so it doesnt matter .. anyways there are lots of ways to make even foam harder and give it more weight...

So its really up to you. pepping is a work needing much patience.
You can totally combine it and try your best with it .
I can just tell you how the pep work + resin + rondo bondo and sanding part is ... i totally have no foam experience!

I had a college teacher who worked on many props for Star Trek tell me to never use expanding foam on anything that will be near the face. He is very adamant about teaching such things. He also told about a story of them making a moon for the backdrop once out of expanding foam. The prop seemed stable at first, and a women spent days painting it with meticulous details. But it deformed and the foam warped, causing the entire thing to continue to expand, and thus cracking and demolishing the prop into a useless piece, ruining all of her hard work.

I always think back to home construction. You see the expanded foam oozing out of cracks and stuff to sometimes ridiculous degrees, but I don't think it was anywhere near that bad of blowout when they were concealing it, the foam doing what it wanted after the fact.

Some alternatives if Bondo isn't an option, is some stuff I am experimenting with now. I have not used it fully yet, so I can't guarantee to you this will WORK, but it look promising.

So without further or due, here is my dump of alternative costume making methods.

It is very light when cured, lighter than Bondo, but has a lot of tiny air pockets so the final coat would need to be something like fiberglass or oodles of primer to fix that. When working with it, it is very tacky so details are impossible on the first layers.

This stuff has a nice consistency when working with it, and feels air light in the hand. From the demo images it shows it is strong enough to stand on, but light enough to hold with one hand. I used this in the snout of my Skirmisher helmet cast. For the helmet it felt way too heavy considering how much else I have to add to it, but it may have been the thicker plastic that was also down there, so I don’t know if it is really light or adds some heft. Nonetheless you can't work in large amounts at once, so many applications of small chunks.

This option is light, inexpensive, but requires skill and would not really work with the paper craft framework you already have made. Some are using it on the site already, and it can look great with patience and practice.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35889-ODST-Foam-WIP-%28Pic-Heavy%29-GySGT-Buck

-----

I have not tried this, and I would NOT recommend it unless you are on a super tight budget, as it could be a total BUST, but I have seen people use cheese cloth, or other thin porous fabric, dipped in Elmer's glue like fiberglass. However many many layers would be needed to thicken enough to sand, and the fabric may make sanding ridiculously silly looking. Glue is also brittle when dried, so if it is dropped or sat on improperly without enough structure it would likely shatter into a sad little mess. So even if you decided to risk things and go with this? Make the hip, thigh, and foot pieces out of something reliable so sitting and walking don’t cause a demolish.

-----​

As with any of these, ordering test/sample amounts may be a good option first, to see if you even like it. The costs also can seem scary on the Smooth-On products, but I try to take into account the pros that go along with it such as the reduced weight and the ridiculous strength. I am not a strong person at all, I don’t want to lug around a heavy costume all day! I tried making Car Bondo hooves once for a minotaur and they just felt like led on my feet.

Either way this was my dump of armor making ideas that I can think of offhand that don’t branch out into the insanely expensive methods of Styrene, Vacu-Forming, and Molding.
Respect for that post . thats definitely much better explained than mine !

-----

-----​

HOLY BONKERS CRAP MAN!! Thank you!!!

I forgot to mention I may try to make something out of EVA foam, like the kind you put in yoga mats. I had a few inspirations from the youboobs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2GMR6DjDA&feature=g-vrec

man I'm getting the itch... to speed up my peppin... I think that I'm gonna go with the classic mode of cardstock-glued together, resin, then a layer of fiberglass on the interior, then maybe smoothcast 320 on the outside. (followed by some padding)

What I'm going for is not quite a crash-helmet, rather, something I could Breakdance in.

Its totally up to you ! Foam is much more comfortable but not that hard true dat... but still you are wearing it to show off a bit . so it doesnt matter .. anyways there are lots of ways to make even foam harder and give it more weight...

So its really up to you. pepping is a work needing much patience.
You can totally combine it and try your best with it .
I can just tell you how the pep work + resin + rondo bondo and sanding part is ... i totally have no foam experience!

Pig! Thanks again man. I'm going to try and do the Mass Effect N7 armor pep I have with EVA foam. So Zercon, I may try to hold off on the foam. Its just more of a juggling of speed of skill vs. deadlines. I'm hoping to have all the resin done by the end of fall... I need that Ohio heat.

Hey All! A little more progress has been made, but as I was thinking of using these >>
http://www.jtstopshop.com/products/prodDetails.asp?pID=3254&category=13&catsub1=46&catsub2=&subcategory=42&size=0&search=&scBrand=0&page=

To secure my armor to me, as I will be VERY mobile, would this be a good "latch" design for the Chest, Thigh, and Bicep armor?

Picture related?
stayput_loop_blk.jpg

very good idea, but the armour pieces are going to sit further away from each other than the length this latch will afford you. Maybe for the thigh/shin joint or shin/boot joint...Even better the joints for the chest pieces front/back! If you use these you gotta let us know how they work!

I cannot seem to get my webcam to work outside of facebook and skype!

I would like to take still shots, or videos as I work... it is a "mobiletechplus MW1359"

I have already looked around at the general search results on google and bing, and they look a bit sketch. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Here's an update pic though!!

558196_709977861798_147139569_n.jpg

564729_709977841838_2085611512_n.jpg

228482_709977821878_585373201_n.jpg

556569_709977791938_906886306_n.jpg

Hope you all can guess what this is!

i would have recommanded to slice it into 2-3 pieces then screw it together after u resined and bondoed it . but damn nice work so far im jelous i didnt finished that . well ill do mine out of foam ;D

nice progress bro . btw we have the same mouse!

Blood has been spilled...

251408_711740299858_2068565057_n.jpg

253489_711740424608_575590824_n.jpg

Added dowel rods for strengthening... Advice is needed... I want this to be INSANELY strong... like legendary strong.. so any advice would be great!

Eeeeyeah... that's more blood on the right side bill...
422687_711801587038_1632637957_n.jpg

577086_711801567078_557148767_n.jpg

400961_711801537138_1000095522_n.jpg

393567_711801502208_823102574_n.jpg

Am I the only one in here? haha.

Added dowel rods for strengthening... Advice is needed... I want this to be INSANELY strong... like legendary strong.. so any advice would be great!

Eeeeyeah... that's more blood on the right side bill...
422687_711801587038_1632637957_n.jpg

577086_711801567078_557148767_n.jpg

400961_711801537138_1000095522_n.jpg

393567_711801502208_823102574_n.jpg

Am I the only one in here? haha.

so pissed... it rained on all this work... see how pissed i am?
252451_717452976608_1462855003_n.jpg

395186_717453056448_794360352_n.jpg

76524_717453146268_611526379_n.jpg

564918_717454713128_994405502_n.jpg

199908_717454902748_473933726_n.jpg

406483_717455022508_1867716480_n.jpg

548706_717455192168_1978516863_n.jpg

530217_717455286978_196394983_n.jpg

404639_717455386778_1610150608_n.jpg

389823_717455466618_889329544_n.jpg

Here's where it was done... kinda... it was done more in the grass... lol

255498_717455541468_1114953249_n.jpg

and here's the problem child.

539318_717455646258_1025826430_n.jpg

Here's its temper tantrum... glue didn't dry yet... so no resining.
298600_717455756038_583113697_n.jpg

and here's the problem trying to be cute... waaaait... a helmet being cute? wtf?
420557_717455840868_1102746634_n.jpg

longshot of the helmet
603356_717455915718_2121200041_n.jpg

and there's the projects... sorry for the bad spelling... got resin in my soul and it won't harden...

Sorry I haven't uploaded in a while, rebuilding parts to see if I can salvage what was damaged... I'm so unlucky.

But still goin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back