I Had An Epiphany, My New Eod Armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyGunner

Well this is my second attempt at making armor. My first crashed and failed miserably due to some massive amounts of stupidity on my part (involving great stuff and spray on rubber) needless to say it didn't work out too well, and I'm back for a second shot!

I was sitting in church one day and thought to myself, Hey you know what? That eod armor looks pretty cool!! So needless to say, I came home and started on it immediately.

I had planned on doing FS's HD MK VI helm, but upon printing it out I kinda hyperventilated and put it in a corner of my closet to be assembled on a later date when I don't mind losing my sanity :cautious:

So anyway here's my progress on the helm, I'm planning on using cardboard and hot glue for the reinforcement when I have time. It's so hard to try and balance you schedule when you're taking 5 AP classes in high school, have numerous hobbies and are trying to make halo armor on the side (Sheesh!!) Feel free to criticize me to death because I want this project to turn out really good. I realize that the helm looks a little big, but it slides on really good, and I didn't want it to be too small. Please tell me if you think I should redo it, like I said, I want it to be perfect.

HeavyGunner said:
Thanks guys. Do you think I should redo it or not?

Looks quite alright to me.

You academic overachiever. I've only got 3 AP courses :p but I did triple up on AP/honors sciences so that's just as bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You academic overachiever. I've only got 3 AP courses :p but I did triple up on AP/honors sciences so that's just as bad.

Haha yeah, I've been told that so many times before it's not even funny :lol:

HeavyGunner said:
Thanks guys. Do you think I should redo it or not?
It looks great, if anything, redo it, just lower the "Hide fold lines almost flat" so it's smoother, I always do that.

you were sitting in church thinking about Halo?

NICE!

Haha yeah, my pastor is a great guy, but his sermons can get a little monotonous when they go past 12 o'clock :lol:

Why aren't you gonna Resin and Fiberglass it?
It would be better overall.

Yeah I know it would be better, and I'm kinda still debating whether or not to do fiberglass/resin or to use cardboard and hot glue. My method for using hot glue and cardboard is pretty simple, I just cut the cardboard to the exact shape of the inner pepakura parts and aplly a generous amount of hot glue to them and just stick them in like a puzzle. I figure if I do this in at least 2 layers it would have way more stiffness than fiberglass. I guess I just don't see how a thin peice of cloth could add that much weight, volume, and durability to a helmet. Could someone clarify if I'm wrong?

The resin that you put the fiberglass in hardens and it makes it very hard and stiff. The resin works like epoxy which as many people know, is very strong.

HeavyGunner said:
Haha yeah, my pastor is a great guy, but his sermons can get a little monotonous when they go past 12 o'clock :lol:
Yeah I know it would be better, and I'm kinda still debating whether or not to do fiberglass/resin or to use cardboard and hot glue. My method for using hot glue and cardboard is pretty simple, I just cut the cardboard to the exact shape of the inner pepakura parts and aplly a generous amount of hot glue to them and just stick them in like a puzzle. I figure if I do this in at least 2 layers it would have way more stiffness than fiberglass. I guess I just don't see how a thin peice of cloth could add that much weight, volume, and durability to a helmet. Could someone clarify if I'm wrong?

gonna go ahead and say that's a pretty bad idea (hate to be negative) however, if you are scared of using fiberglass (which would be stronger, for sure) then you can always use the elmers glue alternative.. I'm not sure entirely how it works but it has been done and I'm sure there are some tutorials around the site.. I think the basic idea is you use elmers glue like resin but I'm not entirely sure...

edit: keep in mind I'm not tryng to belittle you, with 5 aps you are clearly smarter then me, just tryng to share experience, and cardboard is not the best thing to work with.. it's kind of down there as one of the worst in my opinion. Helmet looks great, just resin and mud it up and it outa be everything you could hope for

gonna go ahead and say that's a pretty bad idea (hate to be negative) however, if you are scared of using fiberglass (which would be stronger, for sure) then you can always use the elmers glue alternative.. I'm not sure entirely how it works but it has been done and I'm sure there are some tutorials around the site.. I think the basic idea is you use elmers glue like resin but I'm not entirely sure...
edit: keep in mind I'm not tryng to belittle you, with 5 aps you are clearly smarter then me, just tryng to share experience, and cardboard is not the best thing to work with.. it's kind of down there as one of the worst in my opinion. Helmet looks great, just resin and mud it up and it outa be everything you could hope for

Thanks dude! I'm starting to think this might be the better way to go after all. The cardboard is very strong, but if people say fiberglass is stronger I'm all for it! I was always a little afraid that I might warp my helmet to heck by using fiberglass/resin but I guess I might as well try it, to see if it's all it's cracked up to be. Thanks for the push man! I really appreciate it! :)

i dont think it looks to big at all you have to take into consideration once you add the resin and padding it will fit tighter to your head what size did you print it out at

yes to the respirator.. Be safe! and work over an old sheet or something disposable, my patio is still a bit stained because I didn't bother.. It's not as hard as it looks, and your smart, I'm sure the results will be very worthwhile. Keep in mind most water vehicles you use are made of fiberglass, so thing of your helmet as being about as solid as a jet ski or sports boat hull, it's pretty good, very durable, and very profesional feeling

i dont think it looks to big at all you have to take into consideration once you add the resin and padding it will fit tighter to your head what size did you print it out at

About 29.1 inches total height

Also, use a respirator and work outside.

Don't worry I will! ;)

yes to the respirator.. Be safe! and work over an old sheet or something disposable, my patio is still a bit stained because I didn't bother.. It's not as hard as it looks, and your smart, I'm sure the results will be very worthwhile. Keep in mind most water vehicles you use are made of fiberglass, so thing of your helmet as being about as solid as a jet ski or sports boat hull, it's pretty good, very durable, and very profesional feeling

Thanks volkov I'll be sure to keep that in mind! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back