I know as Spartans we are supposed to save Earth....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just something that cuts a little close to home for me. I've been on here over 3 years and I used to always give advice on scaling and assembling and such. But after the 50th or 60th time you answer the exact same question on misinformation your patience starts to wear a little thin.

Yeah I understand that. I've only been on here for a little over a year and people randomly ask me questions on my art site or facebook. I always try to be patient and help out...but sometimes if people would just read the threads or forums they would get all the information they needed. I read just about every assembling thread on the 405th before I even got the chance to join (Joining was closed then, lol) just so I wouldn't have to be such a noob and ask people for help on simple matter.

Wow, you teach? That's really cool. Do you teach environmental science, or what? Just wondering what classes you have, lol. And what university/college? People will be people though, squeezing money out of whatever they can to profit themselves. That is an unfortunate characteristic of the human race. :/

I have built 2 pep suits and 6 helmets over the last 3 years. You know how many reams of cardstock I've gone through? 3 and a half.

You know how many reams of printer paper I've gone through just printing essential papers and drafts for my school work during the same time? 11 and change.

Cardstock is a marginal issue. It's like styrofoam cups to me. I maybe use 10 in a given year so I don't feel at all bad at tossing them into the garbage or the campfire or whatever.

A lot of stuff has nothing to do with the environment either/save the world kind of BS. It's just smart or makes the world a more beautiful place.

Have a garden? Good for you, makes you feel good and you get some tasty stuff out of it. Does it change the world? No. If anything you are hurting agriculture and agricultural research and efforts at soil conservation.

Recycling paper? Over half of those paper recycling things are fake. My old university had paper bins and all that stuff. You know what they actually did with all of it? They put it in a big dumpster behind the Univeristy power plant and burned it. This is because shipping to a pulp mill across the country is often more expensive than it's worth.Over half fake is not stretching the statistics either. It really is that bad.

Second hand shopping? Well it's just the smart thing to do. You get quality stuff for a fraction of list price. And if you have classical tastes like me then it's the only way to get lovely Victorian furniture. Yard sales and the salvation army and stuff has been around forever and I've always gone. However, now, many of those people who used to turn their noses up at the thought of "used" are in there shopping with everyone else. Same with animals. When I was a kid, we always took in lost animals. People would turn their noses up and talk about their pure-bred this or that, but now brag about things being "a rescue". And you know it really is a good thing. But it has nothing to do with the environment.

The purpose of planting trees is not to do anything at all to save the Earth. Grassland strips and holds more Carbon from the air than a forest ever could. People enjoy trees, they are pleasing to the eye, they live long and stand as a memorial to a deed long past. They are lovely wonderful things. But to say you are doing anything for the environment by planting trees is like saying you are doing God's work on a church trip to 6 flags.

Now let me talk for a second about Conservation. I am 100% behind Conservation. The great Teddy Roosevelt, who spent several trips near my hometown during his presidency, always was a huge proponent, established out National Parks and Wildlife Refuges. To preserve the variety and majesty of nature is a worthy cause. You will not change climate, you will not save the world, but you can save a little magic left on earth for our children. Husbanding our resources is just the smart thing to do...

"We of an older generation can get along with what we have, though with growing hardship; but in your full manhood and womanhood you will want what nature once so bountifully supplied and man so thoughtlessly destroyed; and because of that want you will reproach us, not for what we have used, but for what we have wasted...So any nation which in its youth lives only for the day, reaps without sowing, and consumes without husbanding, must expect the penalty of the prodigal whose labor could with difficulty find him the bare means of life."

And to let you know my qualifications, I am a geologist with a Masters in environmental reconstruction, so I am really not trying to BS you.

Amen brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I had a great idea to combine Halo and certain conservationist ideals: Next time someone makes a Warthog replica, replace the fuel systems and augment the engine, sufficiently, it runs on Hydrogen combustion, and can convert water to said fuel. If the Civilian Hog can do it, so can you, to paraphrase Ithica. :p

Wow, you teach? That's really cool. Do you teach environmental science, or what? Just wondering what classes you have, lol. And what university/college? People will be people though, squeezing money out of whatever they can to profit themselves. That is an unfortunate characteristic of the human race. :/

I teach Earth Science and Intro Geology at the community college right now and TA Ecology and Invertebrage Paleontology at the univeristy. Not going to be able to get a full-time gig until I get the Dr. in front of my name in a few years.

Well I don't use Pepakura, but I'm proud to say every single piece of wood I've used on all of my builds (Err... well all two I guess...) was scrap. I get scraps mostly from my Dad, as he lends himself out to friends to do house work. All of the scraps from these projects go into my little scrap box.
Scraps come out, and are turned into guns. Can't get any better than that, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back