I Need A New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I hate to post this thread, because its basically a question thread, so if it needs to be locked then so be it. But, my old computer that I've had for a few years now, just got like an overload of viruses and hacked and everything, and went toes up. Now I'm using an old, spare laptop that will not last for more than a week or two. I've decided that this would be a good time to get a new laptop, but I'm not sure what I need to look for. So my question to those of you who want to help is, what kind of laptops/specs should I look for? This is going to be a general use laptop, so nothing REAL heavy will be running on it, nothing like photoshop or a CAD program. But it still needs to run quickly when I have, like, 5 or 6 programs running. So here's what I'm thinking for general specs so far, with nothing too specific on them because I dont know to much about laptops.

Specs:

Strong Processer

Large Hard drive

around a 17" screen

and basically thats what I have so far... I know, nothing. (btw, I WILL be running Microsoft office on it, pepakura programs, probably google sketchup, itunes, etc. etc.) Thanks for any help!

WRising said:
Well, I hate to post this thread, because its basically a question thread, so if it needs to be locked then so be it. But, my old computer that I've had for a few years now, just got like an overload of viruses and hacked and everything, and went toes up. Now I'm using an old, spare laptop that will not last for more than a week or two. I've decided that this would be a good time to get a new laptop, but I'm not sure what I need to look for. So my question to those of you who want to help is, what kind of laptops/specs should I look for? This is going to be a general use laptop, so nothing REAL heavy will be running on it, nothing like photoshop or a CAD program. But it still needs to run quickly when I have, like, 5 or 6 programs running. So here's what I'm thinking for general specs so far, with nothing too specific on them because I dont know to much about laptops.

Specs:

Strong Processer

Large Hard drive

around a 17" screen

and basically thats what I have so far... I know, nothing. (btw, I WILL be running Microsoft office on it, pepakura programs, probably google sketchup, itunes, etc. etc.) Thanks for any help!

Eh, usually I would say, "Google is your friend!" But this time I'll help, by using the power of google myself! http://www.laptopadvisor.com/best-laptop.html I don't know, but this should get you started or help.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, I would like a laptop that have a Nvidia, ATL, AMD vision, etc sticker on it. Second, A Intel i5 or i7 CPU(sorry that I'm not good at knowing AMD CPUs) A windows 7 is the best. :) but i'm a child and I'm poor, I only have a pc that sucks ( at least Intel Pentium Dual core)

Just about any laptop released within the last year should be able to do what you need. I for one am using an old Acer Aspire 5315 which I paid 600AUD for two years ago and it'll run Pepakura Designer 3, Windows Live Messenger, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Frostwire all at the same time without missing a beat

dprince59 said:
get a mac they never get viruses

well, that's because macs wont run ANYTHING. It wont run pepakura either. I would suggest making a really good piece, like a Reach or ODST helmet, offer it up as a trade in the classifieds, it could be gently, or used

Go for Novatech. I got one a few months ago, absolutley amazing pc. Top end specs, gets a 5.6/5.9 on the computer index rating.

Amazing graphics system, ive run Photoshop CS4, windows messenger, Internet Explorer (8 tabs open) and adobe dreamweaver.

You can also run brand new games on Max Settings.

Although they can be expensive, trust me they are worth every penny. http://www.novatech.co.uk

I say get an IBM, im using a refurbished Thinkpad T43, which is almost 3 years old, and its still working great for me. the specific model is meant for light graphical designing, like pepakura and is reasonably priced. Ive tweaked the software so that it runs faster than all of my other computers (even a mac), but i guess that depends on who uses it. but i guess that specific model is just if u want a cheaper laptop. however if you take care of your computer properly however it shouldnt be getting all of those problems you are having with your older computer.

dprince59 said:
get a mac they never get viruses

Because nobody makes viruses for macs, because nobody uses macs... Ok well people use macs, but the vast majority use Windows

computergeek said:
Because nobody makes viruses for macs, because nobody uses macs... Ok well people use macs, but the vast majority use Windows

ya you are right! :) I heard one of my friends said a long time ago, Apple won't let people make software that can use on mac? Windows 7 Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the input everyone, it gives me a lot to look at. However, I'd like to add that chances are I'm not going with a mac, and my two biggest options right now are HP and Dell, however much that may upset some of you... While Im not limited to those, they are just what I like more, but Im open to new things.

I've been building PC's for years in addition to being an on call pc service repair tech. As far as computers go we kept annual percentages of laptop and desktop failures. There were two companies that year after year had the lowest failure rate by LEAPS and BOUNDS over the competition. Those two were ASUS (the world's greatest motherboard manufacturer for the last umpteen years) and Toshiba. I personally own both and have never had a single problem with either. If you like to get a little rough I recommend Toshiba laptops, it's the AK-47 of laptops. Doesn't jam and fires when you need it ;) . ASUS of course being the king of beers as far as motherboards go so either one will be a solid choice.

Check out http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks and drill down through their laptop section based on the available sections on the left and then check out some of the top rated laptops that meet your needs.

Special note: You're going to be paying A LOT extra for a 17" - be forewarned.

Cheers,

Kensai

I would recommend hitting up Newegg or Tigerdirect and checking their refurbs. newegg is easier to navagate but tigerdirect has better deals soemtimes. ive have two gateway refurbs that have been great. a bad replacement powersupply fried the old one so i got a new one ( never buy powercord off ebay to save a few bucks) my second one cost $600 for a 2.2ghz 4g 15" with a radeon hd 3200 card, hdmi, dual layer dvd durner and ive never had a problem. i can run sketchup pro and work on some pretty big models just fine with it.

Thanks for the input everyone but it looks like I'm going with a Dell Inspiron 15 easpecially since I'm in Round Rock. (Dell's HQ is here) They're also having a sale on Inspirons for President's day which also effected my decision. However, before I make my final FINAL decision later today, I'm going to take a look at the sites Kensai and JangoFett mentioned. Anyways, for those who want to know, I'll post my decision when I make it.

On a somewhat side note: This new laptop will not be my only computer, but it will be the primary, throughout my school years. We're in the process of making a custom computer (desktop) for the really heavy-duty, hard-core computing. So I don't need the most of everything for the laptop, but it will get some pretty heavy usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back