I Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
Title pretty much says it all. I won't be posting new files, and I've already expressed my desire to have all of my existing assets removed from the Archive.

The forum move has been an example in absolute stupidity from the start, and while you, the standard member, may not be aware of what happens at Staff level, let me tell you that it's not been pretty. And I'm tired of it. I'm tired of being treated like a commodity by the people that own and manage this site, and I'm tired of being expected to simply sit by and endure it.

If I don't get banned for this, I'll still try to be an active community member - but I will no longer be posting files to the 405th and I won't be helping with file questions. Art Andrews has made it expressly clear that I won't be working as Archive manager in any capacity going forwards, and that my responsibilities have been passed to other people - therefore, I'm playing by his rules.

If I'm not wanted, then nor is my input.

It's been a fun seven or so years, people. Thanks for being what keeps me coming back here - but, unfortunately, the site management is what's pushing me out, here, and I'm tired of being treated as though I'm simply a commodity.

I'm out.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, from our POV, this is not a developing situation. What you are seeing IS the outcome. Now... it could certainly devolve, but I would like to think it won't but that ball is not in my court. Anything from here forward will simply be us answering questions as I have been doing today.
Then I certainly hope you all will reconsider, or at least keep this discontent in mind for future grievances, given the amount of community concern involved.

You have mentioned this type of thing several times. I am not looking to open another can of worms at the moment, but perhaps this is something that could be addressed in greater detail once the dust has settled from the move and we have the Resource section repopulated. We are ALWAYS willing to address your concerns and worries.
Yes, I'm trying not to derail the thread and only mentioning it as support to the arguments I'm bringing up in regards to this issue. But there is definitely a future conversation that needs to be had.

I have, however, said my peace in regards to this topic.

Upvote 0
Damn, I'm really sad to see you go Cherry. I've got to say that when I saw that you'd been removed as a staff member, my first reaction was sort of, "What the hell do they think they're doing" Obviously I haven't been a member here as long as you, but I have noticed that some weird stuff has been going on here these last few months. I really view you as a staple of the Community, and I find it a little astounding that you're being driven out. This seems like a case of management being douchebags. We're gonna miss you.

Upvote 0
I really view you as a staple of the Community, and I find it a little astounding that you're being driven out. This seems like a case of management being douchebags. We're gonna miss you.

I wonder how many would say the same about Adolf back in 1945. If Art wanted to be a D-bag he could just pull the plug on the entire site. It's not like it was worth anything for over a year before he took over and you where lucky to get 12 new posts a month. Some might miss her but I personally felt a sigh of relief. It will be nice to be able to help people again without fear of setting off a cherry-bomb anytime you post something she didn't like.

Upvote 0
It will be nice to be able to help people again without fear of setting off a cherry-bomb anytime you post something she didn't like.

Chernobyl has raised the standards in this community. In this thread, you have already lowered them substantially. You need to stop inciting people.

Upvote 0
Chernobyl has raised the standards in this community. In this thread, you have already lowered them substantially. You need to stop inciting people.
Agreed, Duke. Dracosfire, Chernobyl has dedicated a lot of time and resources to bettering this community. Like her or not, I hope that you can respect that.

Upvote 0
I will redo all the game rips that Cherry posted that way her game ripped files will be deleted and replaced with an exact copy since hers where (ripped ,ported,hacked,stolen) whatever you want to call it as long as it's not hers.

Aside from the fact that most of the modelling scene knows who created these file packs, what you're talking about is plagiarism - taking something that doesn't belong to you, without credit to the original owner, and taking said credit for yourself.

If you want to go ahead and download the resources you'd need to extract and convert the files, and then spend the time arranging, renaming, sorting and uploading them, then more power to you. I have absolutely no problem with you doing so. But I'll warn you - I've processed well over 3,000 files since I began the project... a good few years ago now. It's taken me this long to get everything pulled, sorted, and in an appreciable state to be uploaded and used by the community. It's a long, hard, arduous, and often utterly thankless task, and there's very little wonder that nobody else stepped up to do it.

Frankly, there's nobody else on the 405th with the skills or knowledge that I have to contribute these files. So, please - stop making yourself look like an idiot.

She isn't punishing me at all. She is punishing you, the members of the community.

See, here's where you're wrong, Art. I've said multiple times now that I'm happy to provide my resources as linked to an off-site hosting service. This seems to be a fact you've glossed over despite my stressing it, so hopefully this time it'll sink in - I have no intentions of starving the community of my resources. I'm not punishing the community at all, I'll keep providing content. I only ask that my content not be hosted here, on the 405th.

Since your argument stands upon the grounds that I'm punishing the community, and that I've proven I'm willing to keep providing for the community, I don't think you have very much ground to stand on. If I'm punishing anybody here, it's you - I know exactly what those files mean to you in terms of site traffic, I know exactly how damaging pulling those files will be to your figures, and I'm fairly certain that your protestations of 'protecting the community' are a smokescreen for your own agenda. You're harming the rights and wishes of creators such as myself under the guise of protecting the community, when it's fairly clear that the only person to lose from me issuing my takedown request is you. My files go away, people follow, and you're left with an empty forum, right? That's your concern here. Money. Not the people, the money. Hell, this problem began with money, and your desire to push work to the Archive that I disagreed with, with the aim of increasing traffic and therefore lining your pockets with ad revenue.

Regardless of that: hypothetical. If somebody were to post somebody else's work without their permission, and they came to you with a request to remove said content, would you honour it? Or would you cling to your clauses and say 'no, once it's here it's owned by the 405th and it's staying up'? Or is this clause simply to protect you from having to remove bulk uploads such as mine? Will you be respecting the wishes of content creators who wish to assign themselves to a DNP (Do Not Post) list?

Frankly, I think I know what the answer is here. And again, if your only argument is 'protect the community', see above. I love this community. I have worked my ass off for this community long before you even knew what the 405th was. I will continue to work my ass off for this community - however, it's become clear to me that the 405th is not a labour of love for you. It's a business, you run and treat it as such, and you're somehow surprised that your staff are leaving you. You came in here expecting to be able to fit us into the 501st/Predatorium/DH mould and it's not worked. Your staff are voting with their feet, and it's quite likely that the community will follow.

So, I'll say it one last time: take the files down. If you can't show that you respect and honour the wishes of the people who create for this community, then you're going to end up seeing a lot of people move away from hosting their files here. You have no respect for intellectual property, only profits, and frankly:

You utterly disgust me.

Upvote 0
I'm issuing a warning at this time. This is a discussion that people are passionate about, however passion about a topic need not include name calling nor does it exclude people from following forum rules. Name calling is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Upvote 0
Aside from the fact that most of the modelling scene knows who created these file packs, what you're talking about is plagiarism - taking something that doesn't belong to you, without credit to the original owner, and taking said credit for yourself.

If you want to go ahead and download the resources you'd need to extract and convert the files, and then spend the time arranging, renaming, sorting and uploading them, then more power to you. I have absolutely no problem with you doing so. But I'll warn you - I've processed well over 3,000 files since I began the project... a good few years ago now. It's taken me this long to get everything pulled, sorted, and in an appreciable state to be uploaded and used by the community. It's a long, hard, arduous, and often utterly thankless task, and there's very little wonder that nobody else stepped up to do it.

Frankly, there's nobody else on the 405th with the skills or knowledge that I have to contribute these files. So, please - stop making yourself look like an idiot.

You kind of left this part out of my quote "All I need is Art's help to change the Authors name to 343 Industries. I can't use my name because that would be wrong and credit must be given to the real creator and owner of the files."

As for processing over 3,000 I can believe that part but it would be considerably better if you unfolded the files instead of just releasing all raw files otherwise it's noting special I started asset extraction in 2011 but have accumulated over 10 terabytes of game models from various games it's actually quite easy to do it's just time consuming as you should know since the file naming rarely does the files any justice.

Now for the skills/knowledge that just your ego flaring up. Plenty of competent people have tried to release files or wanted to learn how but you where always quick to shut them down lock threads and intimidate them to leave (I still have the PM's) even when no rules where broken. Then within a few days you would usually post about your latest progress using reversed engineered software to export "your" Halo models.

Upvote 0
I am very sorry to report that Chernobyl has forced our hand in banning her from this community. While she is no longer a part of us, we still appreciate her past contributions and hope that she finds what she is looking for elsewhere.

Additionally, as she has now been banned, there is no need in continuing this thread so I am closing it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back