I'm Just Kinda Wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brothalemu

So my friends and I all love to play paintball, so when we were cutting our armor we were thinking "I wonder if these can work in paintball?" So to be brief does anyone know if these can withstand a paintball shot after its fiber glassed and painted?

Nope

The armor will brake and you will have many pieces of fiberglass stuck in your leg, arm etc...

Just dont do it, even if its just a test.

If somebody else posts in here, they should post the link of that guy with the paintball helmet and show what happened.

i would think if you gave a couple extra layers of fiberglass it would be fine.. i can give it a test and see for all you guys

i tried it wih one layer of fiberglass and the paintball didnt explode through but there was a crack of about 2 in. as well as all the bondo where it hit was gone. it would work with 3-4 layers of glass but you would have to re apply bondo a great deal. or just dont put bondo on it and make it entirely our of smoothcast pastic

It probably would withstand a paintball, my only concern is that in paintball your always diving and rolling and running, it could not only be restricting, but if you fell on it or rolled on the ground it could break and glass could pierce your skin. Ouch

It would be fun if someone could figure out how many layers of fiber glass it would take.(Or I could do it myself) I think it would be absolutely hysterical to see the MC running around the paintball field.

If thick enough, it WILL withstand 1-2 impacts. But it it hits in the same area, that will go right through. Plus, you are less mobile and if you dive into the ground, you may get a ton of fiberglass shards in your skin. Not cool... Just don't try it. It's not worth the risk.

Brothalemu said:
It would be fun if someone could figure out how many layers of fiber glass it would take.(Or I could do it myself) I think it would be absolutely hysterical to see the MC running around the paintball field.

robo-coping not running

these suits are very difficult to move in

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I like the idea of NOT having fiberglass in my head, arm, or leg so yea I'm not gonna do it. But I still am gonna shoot my first helm for fun.

I will make sure to take a video of it and post it on the forums :D

Brothalemu said:
Okay I like the idea of NOT having fiberglass in my head, arm, or leg so yea I'm not gonna do it. But I still am gonna shoot my first helm for fun.

That's always cool... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I know your probably not going to listen to no. It's nothing against you. I've done it a lot in the past.

But, probably not. Paintballs have a very strong force of impact. Unlike Airsoft BB's, they are very big. A .68 caliber ball hitting some paper covered with car repair material at 300 FPS will never be good.

For the sake of the 405th, we don't want people doing this kind of stuff. If you do manage to do it however, do it at your own risk, and stay safe.

EDIT: Oh, just saw the above post. Let this be a warning to any other noobs then.

Okay I was not going to shoot the armor with anyone in it but I will do a video showing to what will happen and not to try it with people in it.

it would be cool But let's face the fact we are not Nightmare Studios......We are the 405th Infantry Division..... NOT the 405th Paintball HALO Division.

I didn't mean to sound cold, if I did I apologize........ but props aren't made to take impacts from paintball going in excess of up to and over 165mph.

That is why paintball Armor is mostly made of a gel like foam NOT a.b.s. plastic or what ever kind of plastic of the casting type of plastic that the smooth-on brand plastic compounds are.

And also armor made by you for paintball as a member of the 405th would have dire consequences for us because the site would most likely be destroyed and shutdown while you comatose and lying in a hospital bed in the intensive care ward.

I often play paintball and can say that the way most of these costumes are built wont withstand airsoft nonetheless a paintball.

Do not use anything but equipment designed for paintball for head protection, unless you want to end up in the ER. If you are going to be playing pub sometimes people manage to get in without their guns getting chronoed and some of those balls can be pushing 350-400 fps.

For the rest of the body it will probably be too constricting to be viable, your hard work will probably get trashed, and you can almost forget about any balls bouncing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back