I'm starting my first helmet soon, any certain materials that I would need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLDR1234

I am sorry for creating a new thread but I didn't want all my posts to be cluttered into a single one. So I have all my armor pieces installed onto my laptop, and I have several tutorials saved that could assist me in setting my flies up for scaling and printing. I am going to gather up all of my supplies tomorrow (just note I am planning on using paper for the helmet and EVA foam for the rest of the armor). I am just wondering if there is a certain sized paper and sized foam I should use, and a basic rundown on anything else I should get (cutting tools, hardening stuff, measuring, etc.) if it's not bother.

Check out the tutorial page it will be able to help you a lot more than questions usually do. Here's a modified copy pasta i posted a few days ago on someone elses post. To be clear, this post is specificaly targeting your PEP helmet. (I am doing the same thing Foam armor/Pep helm.)

Prepping(before fiberglassing):
  • You will want 110 LB cardstock, so that it holds up well when gluing. (standard a4 size works fine)
  • Either superglue or hot glue (I used hot glue) for assembly
  • A good Hobby knife, the cheap chinese ones will make cutting the paper absolute torture (think x-acto or fiskars).
  • Blade sharpener(you'll need it, they are cheap too)
  • 2 sided self healing cutting matt (hobby matt) get one on Amazon, they are way cheaper for the size you get.
  • Pens (2 different colors)
  • Metal ruler for scoring paper/cutting if needed.
  • FOLLOW this guide for scoring your paper. I suggest scoring the lines before cutting them out, but to each their own.
  • When assembling the helmet, build symmetrically either from the top down or bottom up. I did bottom up but i've read going top down makes gluing a lot easier towards the end.

I'm currently on this stage(fiberglassing).. It takes some patience.

• GET A RESPIRATOR, and not a cheap dust mask, a 3m filtered gas mask, they are only 20-25 and will save your future lungs.
  • Goggles aren't entirely needed but help quite a bit.
  • I would suggest getting a 50 box of nitrile gloves (don't need long ones) because after about 1 or 2 resins those things become so sticky you won't be able to work with them (or at least I couldn't out of pure frustration). Always wear gloves though because you don't want that stuff on your skin and fiberglass cloth or matt will prick your fingers long after you are done working on it...
  • To mix the resin I bought a 2 oz measuring cup thing and pour 1oz in it and then move it to a plastic solo cup, I use the solo cup(and popsicle sticks) to mix the hardner and resin.
  • Go to walmart and buy a bunch of cheap 1" or 1&1/2" brushes (8-10)(also maybe a 2" brush for the outside coat) You will only need 1 or 2(brushes) to coat the outside, but when you got Fiberglass cloth/matt the inside you will run through those fast...
  • Popsicle sticks! get some popsicle sticks to reinforce the helmet when you resin the outside of it so that it doesn't collapse on itself while it dryes, mostly for the longer flat part like the top. take them out after you're done with 2(or 3) resin coats on the outside.
  • Fiberglassing the inside is gonna be a not fun time but when you're done with the first layer you will see how much of an improvement it is. Cut in 1-1/2" x 2-3" strips for most of it is what I did and it seems to work out well. Except I had some big squares for the flat parts.
  • Rondo the inside after you're done fiberglassing the inside. (you'll have to look that up since I haven't even got to that part).
  • Work somewhere ventilated, I work in my basement work shop, but I am right next to the door with a fan blowing out of it (or work outside). You got the rest with respirator ( a real one not a dust mask, and goggles(suggested))
I am still fairly new to Cosplay but with the help of this community I would say I have gained a lot of insight so far to the process or at least the prepping process...
Other people are free to comment on what I may have missed.

Also again check the tutorial page!

Hey SLDR1234,

Do what he says here but when you go to fiberglass make sure you have it outside if possible and do it on a warm to hot day. It will increase the dry time exponentially.

Always wear that mask around that crap too, once you get fiberglass in your lungs it will never come out. I have used the BONDO brand automotive grade fiberglass and fiberglass cloth on all my stuff and it is the best.

If you have to use filler stay with the Bondo brand. I know that it's a little more than some of the others but it will hold up a lot longer.

Be patient will the material when it starts to setup and when you apply it make sure it's as smooth as you can get it on. This will save you a lot of frustration later in the build.

Good luck!

Hey SLDR1234,

Do what he says here but when you go to fiberglass make sure you have it outside if possible and do it on a warm to hot day. It will increase the dry time exponentially.

Always wear that mask around that crap too, once you get fiberglass in your lungs it will never come out. I have used the BONDO brand automotive grade fiberglass and fiberglass cloth on all my stuff and it is the best.

If you have to use filler stay with the Bondo brand. I know that it's a little more than some of the others but it will hold up a lot longer.

Be patient will the material when it starts to setup and when you apply it make sure it's as smooth as you can get it on. This will save you a lot of frustration later in the build.

Good luck!

^ ditto.

This is good advice, my house is kind of on a cliff so the basement leads to the outside. but he's right. outside is best because I always have to wait a few days for the resin to fully harden(because inside isn't as warm). And it's much more ventilated. I just work with what I got.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back